If you were to nuy a new vehicle today...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 08:11 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
All crap... Word of advice... I have a friend who works at a chevy dealer. The way they drive dealer AND CUSTOMER CARS is absolutely disgusting. The kid tells me how he drives them. So if they do that why would they even care about working on your finish. I'm not going to insult you if you do, but that is not a wise choice at all. Just look at Rolling Rock's thread on that beautiful NEW Lexus. That's a reason not to get that dealer crap if I had ever seen one myself

Old 10-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well crap...

I thought I had this all figured out and now you have me flip-flopping on my decision. Is it junk because of the price? or is it a harmful product? I don't care about the money. I would care if this somehow hurt my paint, leather, etc.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:25 PM

The stuff itself is probably not bad. It is the fact that the goons that will apply it will most likely not do it properly. To be honest, you should do it yourself or even pay someone else not at the dealer to do it. My thinking is the dealers use they "add-ons" as a way to make money. Their profit sure as heck ain't coming off of these trucks. Just friendly advice, get your truck detailed by a detailer or someone you know (if you do) that enjoys detailing and does it well. You can also paint the underside of your truck yourself and save money and make sure it is done how you want it. The price for what you are getting is a waste and I would hate to see the trucks finish after they applied that Luster crap.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:00 PM
Iwould have to agree...the products might not be bad,but I highly doubt it. I would be concerned about the people working on your vehicle...they don't care about your vehicle and are laughing at the fact you paid them $800.Take the time and do the detailing yourself...it not only gives you a sense of satisfaction,but it will save you some money.
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
The stuff itself is probably not bad. It is the fact that the goons that will apply it will most likely not do it properly. To be honest, you should do it yourself or even pay someone else not at the dealer to do it. My thinking is the dealers use they "add-ons" as a way to make money. Their profit sure as heck ain't coming off of these trucks. Just friendly advice, get your truck detailed by a detailer or someone you know (if you do) that enjoys detailing and does it well. You can also paint the underside of your truck yourself and save money and make sure it is done how you want it. The price for what you are getting is a waste and I would hate to see the trucks finish after they applied that Luster crap.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:24 PM
I'll change the names at the dealer that sold me my truck. I bought the truck and then they wanted me to talk to their accessory guy. His name ins the story is "Bob". The dealership owner's son who is the sales manager is "George". Bob asks me if I want the paint protection and makes me feel a Mustang that has it. I say no. He says George will ring his neck if he does not sell it. I say no. I didn't get it.

It is only money
That being the OP's statment in this thread at one point scares me.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:27 PM
I'm sorta out of my league here. I'm not going to do any detailing myself. I like vehicles. I just don't like them enough that it is a hobby for me. If I don't pay someone to do something to my truck, it probably won't ever get done.

I guess if the dealership doesn't do it I can bring it to a detailer. Either way it is some employee (detailer) doing what the company wants them to do. I don't see the difference between the dealerships full-time detailer and a detail shop's full-time detailer.

TY for the advice. I'll sleep on it tonight and decide before going in tomorrow :P

Old 10-24-2009, 02:56 AM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
The dealer hires minimum wage kids to do the job. A rotary buffer in the hands of an inexperienced person is hazardous to your finish. A professional detailer will be a lot more careful as his livelihood depends on satisfied customers.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:00 AM
You have all scared me enough that I'm just going to be picking up the truck without any extras. I'll see wt the closest city has for detailers and contact them.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:20 AM
Originally Posted by Toffle
You have all scared me enough that I'm just going to be picking up the truck without any extras. I'll see wt the closest city has for detailers and contact them.
Great decision.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:23 AM
Now I need to figure out how I can deal with this myself. I guess I'll skip the undercarriage completely and hope the factory did something for rust protection.

Scotchguard the carpet?
Some type of wipe-on leather protectant for the leather seats?

I'm searching right now for easy solutions to leather protection. Go me :P

Edit: Does anyone know how platinum leather compares to king ranch leather? A lot of KR owners are recommending LeatherCPR for their seats.

Last edited by Toffle; 10-24-2009 at 03:36 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toffle, go to Krown rustproofing, just get it soaked, most reputable place in Canada $140. Get the box Line-x'd $400, get the rear inner fenders Line-x'd $100, if you want the rubberized undercoating then find someone local that will do it, should not cost more than $200. If you don't drive on gravel roads 50% of the time then don't bother with it. Go to a "shine shop" and have a professional detailer care for the paint, a hand wax should be well under $125. Spray scotchgaurd yourself $20. Your truck will be protected from everything mother nature can throw at it. Oh get some "weathertech" floor liners too, and maybe some mudflaps.

If you are in close to London Ontario I can help you out with local shops that I know are reputable.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:21 AM

Great decision man... we can help you with your selections. You say you are not big into detailing, but you should give it a shot... it si a great feeling to see what you have made look so darn nice

Old 10-25-2009, 11:02 PM
I'm in Alberta. My truck will be parked outside. There is a lot of snow, salt, cold, sand, etc. It will survive but it won't be pretty :P

- I was quoted ~$470 CAD for the Linex from the closest Linex dealer.
- I was quoted $575 CAD for a nice 2-way remote start system (trunk button liinked to seat warmers). They had cheaper starters but I liked this one /shrug.
- I am still trying to find a nice tonneau cover to get.

I get the truck tomorrow or Tuesday. It is sitting at the dealership now I just need to get insurance/plates and have them remove the dealership stickers. Unfortunately the finance and paperwork lady isn't there tomorrow so I may need to wait until Tuesday.

Once I get it should I do the following? Will I have my truck close to what the dealership would offer me for their treatment? (I've decided to skip dealership undercoat/paint/fabric/leather protection)

- Buy Scotchguard and treat the carpets
- Buy LeatherCPR and treat the leather seats

I'm essentially leaving the paint and underside as the factory made them. I partly chose Sterling Grey Metallic as it is a little better for my situation than those pretty black exteriors. I'd hate to see what mine would look like after a few years.

Last edited by Toffle; 10-25-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess if you are buying the truck then get the works but don't do it through the dealership unless you can get it for half price and are happy with their products. If leasing then who cares if you are just going to hand it back at the end...

Old 10-26-2009, 10:58 AM
I'm not leasing. That is why I care so much :P Since I'll own this thing, I want to do "the works" for it.

Quick Reply: If you were to nuy a new vehicle today...