If you were to nuy a new vehicle today...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you were to nuy a new vehicle today...

Would you get the rust/paint/upholstery protection done from the dealership?

- I'm not a big detailer guy. I'd prefer someone else do the work for me.
- I live in Canada. Snow/rain/salt/etc. is on the roads.
- I want to do what is best for my vehicle but don't have the time to do it myself. I use wand washes once in awhile to get off obvious dirt.

The dealership here offers a product called "Luster Glaze" for this protection. It is over-priced at $835 CAD for the undercarriage/paint/upholstery/leather to be protected. I don't mind paying if there is any benefit though. I'd prefer to pay than do it myself.

Any advice?

Go with nothing except what has been engineered into the vehicle?
or get Luster Glaze from dealership?

Old 10-22-2009, 04:04 PM
NO!!! Waste of money!!! Just my opinion.

Kevin

Old 10-22-2009, 04:26 PM
I work at a dealer that offers duratain, same deal. It is the biggest waste of money ever! They dont use good quality product, they do there job poorly and I dont think the vehicles look any better than what they did. I would pay a good professional detailer to do the outside.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:53 PM
NO, do not let them even wash it. If you're willing to pay someone else to do it then have a real detailer do it. It will be a much more thorough job and shouldn't be as much. Just request a durable LSP.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:00 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
Old 10-22-2009, 06:20 PM

He sure did.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:30 PM
Tried to get the answer myself so I went into the dealership today. Here is some info for anyone down the road that wants more information on Luster Glaze. I think that I will go ahead with it. It is only money :P

- The undercoating looks like a black liner-like material. It supposedly helps with physical debris (ie. sand) and soundproofing.

- The paint protectant is applied as a liquid then rotary buffed in.

- The upholstery and leather protectant I didn't see but not concerned too much about how that works.

Trending Topics

Old 10-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I've never gone with a dealer application however, if I lived in a harsher environment like Canada I'd consid...........excuse me a minute, I have to sneeze.......

[AAhhh.....ahhhh...aaaahhhh....LUSTER GLAZE... !!!]

Old 10-23-2009, 01:07 AM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
The paint protectant is applied as a liquid then rotary buffed in.
That right there is a good enough reason for me not to touch that crap with a 10 foot pole.

You are getting maybe $100 worth of crap for your $800+.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:59 AM
Why'd you ask if you weren't going to listen to what was said? From both your threads, everyone has said how much of a bad idea it is. I think someone even gave you a list of comparable items to get that would save your 600+ dollars.

Granted, as you said, it's your money, so it up to you how you spend it. If it were me, I'd get some Collinite 845, rubberized undercoating (or some POR 15 if you wanna splurge), and some Scotch Guard for the carpets and upholstery. Give your neighbor's kid 100 dollars, and have him put it on. You'll have plenty of product/money left over for multiple applications, you'll make a kid happy (and he'll probably do a better job), and you'll have 500 dollars left over. Buy your wife some jewelry or something. I'm sure that'll make her happy.

Just my 2 cents, of course...

Old 10-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good luck with your snake oil.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Undercoating is a good idea, some dealers do it for a good price & some- well, shop around is best.

With regards to upholstry & carpet protection- fabric, buy a can of 3M scotchguard and spray as directed (it's almost idiot-proof)

Leather- use a good conditioner such as connolly hyde cream (aka Harley davidson Leather Conditioner, MB, Ferrari, Porsche leather conditioner) Really can't be waterproofed.

Paint, I recommend a product called Profection II, sold by a compnay called Prowax. It is a paint sealant, applied just like wax and has excellent durability/shine in heat, snow, etc.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Here is some more information for people who may actually want information on Luster Glaze down the road. I know some are saying it is "snake oil" but don't share any reasons as to why they think that. I've compiled what little personal research I could muster.

I was in the dearlership again today as they found my truck finally at a different dealer. They are sending out a driver today to pick it up.

I asked about the Luster Glaze product again and they showed me it on actual vehicles that had it done.

The undercoating looks like dried tar almost. Not sure how to describe it. It is hard but you can almost press your fingernail into it if you got nice hard fingernails. It is partly for rust protection. They said if roads are not sanded and salted like they are where I live you probably don't need it for that reason. It also helps somewhat with noise reduction. They put it in the wheel-wells and need to avoid moving parts and engine with the gun. The detailer cleans the underside himself, lets it dry for the day and applies the coating at night as the smell is quite bad.

The paint protectant looks like toothpaste all over the vehicle. The detailer washes and dries the car himself, the "toothpaste-like" product is added and allowed to dry, it is hand polished off, then rotary buffed off. New cars had a smooth-rough feeling to them. The treated paint was smooth-smooth. Water beaded nicely.

The upholstery and leather protectants are both applied with separate guns. The leather is wiped afterwards. You can buy touchup kits or get a separate touch up product for the leather in the future. They never let me write on the leather with a pen so sorry.

Edit: Once I saw how long the process takes to complete I felt better about paying $800 CAD for it. I mean at work I can cover that cost in ~1.5 hours and the detailer spends far more time applying the product. Good for the economy anyway heh. I'm just getting it done at purchase and I'll find do-it-yourself products for future paint/leather work.

Last edited by Toffle; 10-23-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:44 PM
You're a fool if you buy it.

Fool.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:58 PM
i used to work at a couple dealerships from lincoln to chevy.. its all crap.. save ur money

Quick Reply: If you were to nuy a new vehicle today...