Tips for removing old wax residue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 11:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips for removing old wax residue?

I waxed my truck a few months ago and idk what the deal was but the wax would not come off easily at all when I went to remove it. I was running out of time so I did what I could but now I have spots of wax all over my truck that I still needed to remove. I've tried using a claybar but it got me no were fast on the areas I tried. What should I do next to try and get this off?

Old 11-20-2009, 07:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 11-20-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by LovetheTide
I waxed my truck a few months ago and idk what the deal was but the wax would not come off easily at all when I went to remove it. I was running out of time so I did what I could but now I have spots of wax all over my truck that I still needed to remove. I've tried using a claybar but it got me no were fast on the areas I tried. What should I do next to try and get this off?
LovetheTide,

Disregard the advice above from shotgunz. No need to do that and mess with very harmful chemicals and can harm other parts of your car like, wheels, rubber,paint etc. . If you do that procedure wrong you are in a world of hurt.

A few things you can try.

First try washing the car again and use Dawn to help strip the wax...this will remove "most" of the wax that is on the surface.

After the surface has been washed and dried, check the areas again, if you still see them, try using an ISP 50/50 wipe down on the surface...

(isopropyl alcohol mixed 50/50 with water.) Use like a QD.

If that still doesn't get it off, you are going to need to do a light polish with something like, Poorboys PP is one of the better polishes that has a cleaning agent in it..much like Megs DC Paint Cleaner.

If you don't have access to PB products, or want to wait you could use the Megs Paint/Cleaner. You can find that at most any big box retailer.

You will have no wax on the car left after you do this, but if you had problems with whatever you used, maybe it's also time to try something else.

Maybe a sealer for winter vs a wax.

Got any photos of these patches we could look at?

Old 11-20-2009, 07:41 PM
esf
What wax did you use? Some are harder to remove than others. Some can be removed almost by the weight of the MF gliding over it.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by shotgunz
you've been sniffing to many chemical vapors, dude.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:22 AM
Gipraw and RollingRock: You guys are hilarious (ignorant, but still very funny). From the Motorcraft 2008 Lubricants and Chemicals catalog:

Acid Neutralizer
Features:
• Neutralizes acids which may have been deposited on the paint surface during transportation and storage
Removes waxes and hard water spots
• Excellent pre-wash for body shop - removes silicones, waxes and other contaminants before sanding

Just because you never heard of or tried the process, it must be "bad".

Old 11-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Gipraw and RollingRock: You guys are hilarious (ignorant, but still very funny). From the Motorcraft 2008 Lubricants and Chemicals catalog:

Acid Neutralizer
Features:
• Neutralizes acids which may have been deposited on the paint surface during transportation and storage
Removes waxes and hard water spots
• Excellent pre-wash for body shop - removes silicones, waxes and other contaminants before sanding

Just because you never heard of or tried the process, it must be "bad".

Ignorant? Give me a freaking break. Where did I ever say I had never heard of the process? where did I say I had never used the process? I didn't say I didn't know what you were talking about. I said you were wrong for suggesting it.

I will match resumes with you any day of the week, dude. you have NO idea what the hell you are talking about. You are giving bad advice to people.

In this instance you are recommending someone hit a problem with a hammer when it can be addressed with a q-tip.

Do you have any detailing experience at all? Show us something you have done. Or even better .. show us something that you have taken care of exclusively for years that still looks perfect.

I normally try and be nice to people, even people that I disagree with. But since you already called me ignorant, I do not feel the need to do so.

You have NO idea what the hell you are talking about here. The process you are suggesting, while it will work, is way overkill for this particular problem, and you are either too inexperienced, or too stupid to understand that.

Suggesting this process for removing dried wax off a vehicle. How stupid can you be?

I don't give a crap what you think of me .. but I will tell you something ..

Come back and call me ignorant once you have something that even approaches my experience. Until then, try learning a little something.. going through life closed minded and stupid is a hard thing to do.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Gipraw
you've been sniffing to many chemical vapors, dude.
I'm sorry I called you ignorant. I responded incorrectly to your compliment.

Originally Posted by Gipraw
But since you already called me ignorant, I do not feel the need to do so.

You have NO idea what the hell you are talking about here. The process you are suggesting, while it will work, is way overkill for this particular problem, and you are either too inexperienced, or too stupid to understand that.

Suggesting this process for removing dried wax off a vehicle. How stupid can you be?

Come back and call me ignorant once you have something that even approaches my experience. Until then, try learning a little something.. going through life closed minded and stupid is a hard thing to do.
I must have missed the post where you offered your expert advice to the OP.

With all your experience, I'm surprised you didn't tell him to using polishing compound or 1000 grit sandpaper. After all, the claybar didn't work - time for the REALLY BIG GUNS.

Please explain where you have used the neutralization process and why it is the wrong choice to remove wax that has been on the vehicle for months. I'm all ears.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm sorry I called you ignorant. I responded incorrectly to your compliment.

I must have missed the post where you offered your expert advice to the OP.

With all your experience, I'm surprised you didn't tell him to using polishing compound or 1000 grit sandpaper. After all, the claybar didn't work - time for the REALLY BIG GUNS.

Please explain where you have used the neutralization process and why it is the wrong choice to remove wax that has been on the vehicle for months. I'm all ears.

I saw no need to reply to him, as RollingRock had already given some very good advice.

I will say it again. Show us something you have done. Show us something, anything that would demonstrate you have any ability to do anything other than offer bad advice.

As I already said. your way will work, but it should not be the first tool out of the bag, especially for a weekend, driveway detailer.

One thing I didn't mention to the OP is that a lot of times, simply going back over the area with a good QD and and HQ MF will take care of the problem.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
LovetheTide,

Disregard the advice above from shotgunz. No need to do that and mess with very harmful chemicals and can harm other parts of your car like, wheels, rubber,paint etc. . If you do that procedure wrong you are in a world of hurt.

A few things you can try.

First try washing the car again and use Dawn to help strip the wax...this will remove "most" of the wax that is on the surface.

After the surface has been washed and dried, check the areas again, if you still see them, try using an ISP 50/50 wipe down on the surface...

(isopropyl alcohol mixed 50/50 with water.) Use like a QD.

If that still doesn't get it off, you are going to need to do a light polish with something like, Poorboys PP is one of the better polishes that has a cleaning agent in it..much like Megs DC Paint Cleaner.

If you don't have access to PB products, or want to wait you could use the Megs Paint/Cleaner. You can find that at most any big box retailer.

You will have no wax on the car left after you do this, but if you had problems with whatever you used, maybe it's also time to try something else.

Maybe a sealer for winter vs a wax.

Got any photos of these patches we could look at?
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give those steps a try over Thanksgiving and see what I can come up with. I'm at school right now and I don't have a way to take some pictures or I would. I have a white truck so it would be a little hard to take a picture that shows the wax anyway.

Originally Posted by esf
What wax did you use? Some are harder to remove than others. Some can be removed almost by the weight of the MF gliding over it.
I want to say it was Mothers California Gold maybe? It came in a red tin container. I've used this stuff before and it came of wayyy easier than it did this time. Next time I'll be using the #21 I've got.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:07 PM
esf
Hmm. I used to use that a while back and never had any issues with it. What were you using to remove it? A good microfiber towel should have taken care of that however some towels just aren't designed to remove wax, such as waffle weave drying towels.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:23 PM
LoveTheTide...let us know if you need more info/help and I sure hope your team does the SEC proud.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by esf
Hmm. I used to use that a while back and never had any issues with it. What were you using to remove it? A good microfiber towel should have taken care of that however some towels just aren't designed to remove wax, such as waffle weave drying towels.
Yea I had used this can of it before and never had any problems. Just a regular microfiber towel. Not a waffle weave one.
Originally Posted by RollingRock
LoveTheTide...let us know if you need more info/help and I sure hope your team does the SEC proud.
Will do man, thanks. Hopefully they can take care of things against UF and then we can focus on a Nat'l Championship.

Do you ever come into the Fort Worth area? I'm going to be there around the 11th and was going to see if anybody wanted to meet up and snap some pics or something.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by LovetheTide
Yea I had used this can of it before and never had any problems. Just a regular microfiber towel. Not a waffle weave one.

Will do man, thanks. Hopefully they can take care of things against UF and then we can focus on a Nat'l Championship.

Do you ever come into the Fort Worth area? I'm going to be there around the 11th and was going to see if anybody wanted to meet up and snap some pics or something.
I am 15 min from Cowtown.

Send me a pm or visit the cafe to find me! If you want me to take a look at your truck during that time you could come on over to Keller, short drive.

Cheers

RR

Old 11-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Yea I'll shoot you a PM over there around that date. Hopefully after I get a few days off there won't be a need for you to take a look at it and see what I need to do to it.

Quick Reply: Tips for removing old wax residue?