Down & Dirty - bring the paint back to life?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Down & Dirty - bring the paint back to life?

Kind of off topic, but this is a 1998 VW Jetta [TDI] that I am bringing back to life for a commuter car.

Now I know most of the guru's will want me to go wild with this, but I am looking for just the basics -

This is going to be more or less a 'beater' for me, but I want to try to at least bring back somewhat of a shine to it if I can.

All work will be done by hand, and need to get what supplies I need tomorrow at either Wal-Mart or Auto Zone - sorry, but I said 'Down & Dirty' quick fix.

Yes, the car is supposed to be black.

After doing a little research, I thought I would try Meguiars Untimate Compound - what do you think?

After that (if it works), I would follow with a cleaner/polish, then wax.

Any recommendations?

Old 11-29-2009, 09:10 PM

I think a good wash first might do the trick.

Here's what I would buy and do based on your criteria. You should be able to find all of this at Wal-Mart. Steps listed with purchases bulleted:

1. Heavy duty wash using two-bucket method:
-Good nozzle
-Meguiar's Gold Class car wash
-Two sheepskin/wool wash mitts
-Two buckets
-Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner

2. Clay:
-Meguiar's Smooth Surface clay kit
3. Paint correction....depending on severity of surface swirls/defects:
-Meguiar's Ultimate Compound or
-Meguiar's Swirl-X
-Lots of microfiber towels--remember that Wal-Mart microfibers aren't the best but they don't sell the good stuff)
-Lots of small foam hand-applicators (for polishing/waxing)

4. Polish
-Meguiar's Deep Crystal Polish
5. Wax and Dressing (clean outside glass and dress trim before wiping off wax)
-Meguiar's NXT 2.0 Wax
-Glass cleaner (preferably Stoner if you can find it)
-Meguiar's Hot Shine Tire Foam (or whatever you prefer)
-Trim dressing (you can use tire shine on a foam applicator if you want)

Now, after listing all that, I'm sure I forgot something. Keep in mind you'd get much better results using a DA and buying materials online. This should hopefully set you on the right track, though. Hope it goes well and don't forget the after pics!

Old 11-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By hand easy basics for the Paint....

Wash as stated above and then use Meguiars 3 Step System.
1. Paint Cleaner
2. (Maybe) Polish= More shine
3. Substitute the Carnuba Wax with NXT 2.0 Liquid Wax

For a "Down and Dirty Quick Fix" you may get away with a good wash and step 1 & 3.

Good luck!

Old 11-29-2009, 10:24 PM
I think a good wash first might do the trick.
Ha - right you are!!

The car has been in the barn for a month while I was working on the motor - I of course will give it a good wash before I start.

Thanks for the comprehensive list mblouir - puts me on the right track.

I was unsure if using the clay and compound would be redundant.

I have my shopping list now - might be a week or so until I get to this, but will be sure to be back with some photos.

Edit: just say your post Old Dogg and checked out the Deep Crystal 3 step system - I think this is the route I am going to take right now, then do it right in the spring with mblouir's instructions - especially since the car will be subject to nasty winter grime for the next couple months.

Thanks!

Last edited by stormtech; 11-29-2009 at 10:32 PM. Reason: added info
Old 11-29-2009, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by stormtech
Thanks for the comprehensive list mblouir - puts me on the right track.

I was unsure if using the clay and compound would be redundant.
No problem! Glad to help with my limited expertise.

As for the clay, I think it's best to get the contaminants out before using compound. Otherwise it seems that you'd just be rubbing the contaminants around with the compound. I could be wrong, but I'd rather be safe than have to do more work to fix any mistakes.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by stormtech
The car has been in the barn for a month while I was working on the motor
You can always do the plastic bag test to see if you need to clay after you wash but...
With the exception of tree sap IMHO Step 1 would remove the oxidation it looks like you have. Maybe clay after that step to get anything left over.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:48 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
After the wash, I'd clay it before using anything else. Then, depending on how it looks, I'd use one of 3 products (most to least aggressive):

Ultimate Compound
ColorX
DC Step 1

Then wax it with NXT 2.0.

If you don't clay it, you will just be grinding the contaminants into the finish when you use the compound or cleaner.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by glc
If you don't clay it, you will just be grinding the contaminants into the finish when you use the compound or cleaner.
That's what I thought but wasn't 100%. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the clarification on clay before anything else.

Well, the price for living in the boonies....

I buy 99% of all the stuff I need on-line because of where I live, and of course price. I only make a shopping trip for groceries etc twice a month, and was trying to get some of these products I need to get started on the car within the next week.

Well....went to 2 Wal-Marts, and one Advance Auto, and all I came up with on my list was the Ultimate Compound. No Meg's Paint Cleaner and no Meg's Polish. They had the Clay Bar Kit, but I only want the clay bar as I have plenty of Quik Detailer, towels, etc.

So I came home only with the Ultimate Compound.

So, I'm going to have to make up an order to place on-line.

Clay Bar
Paint Cleaner
Polish

I have NXT 2.0 on hand as well as Quik Detailer, applicator pads, and micro-fiber towels.

I am already about knee deep in Meg's products, so I figured I would just follow along and order Meg's to complete my list.
After all this, I should have a decent arsenal for the 3 vehicles next spring.

Thanks for all the input here - I treat all these things as a learning experience. I bought this Jetta as a winter project, and part of that project is to bring the paint back to life. So...I have time, but since I got the engine running, I am getting anxious to get it on the road.

Will of course update with pics as I go.

Edit to add: I also could not find any type of black trim restorer - I know I've read many posts about Black-Wow, but wondering if the Meg's Trim Detailer would be sufficient for my beater?

Old 11-30-2009, 07:57 PM
glc
If you are going to be placing an order with ADS anyway, I believe Rick carries both Black Wow and Showroom New Trim Restorer (a dye).

I think you can go right from Ultimate Compound to NXT. Save some wear and tear on your arms. It's just a beater, right? Wait till you get a machine before you go OCD on us.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by glc
If you are going to be placing an order with ADS anyway, I believe Rick carries both Black Wow and Showroom New Trim Restorer (a dye).

I think you can go right from Ultimate Compound to NXT. Save some wear and tear on your arms. It's just a beater, right? Wait till you get a machine before you go OCD on us.

Actually, as I am working on this car, I have to keep reminding myself that yes, this is just a beater/deer slayer/commuter car.

I've already been tempted to put some nice wheels on it - then opted for some cheapo wheel covers.

I've settled down some now, and am going to do just as you said above -

Wash
Ultimate Compound
NXT 2.0

And out of the barn she comes.

I'm not even sure of the rest of the car yet as I haven't even driven it yet (trailered it from 350 miles away). Once I get everything fixed and gain some confidence in it, I am sure in the Spring I will give it a good detail and maybe add some other goodies.

In the meantime, here is my pride and joy - my main reason for buying the Jetta is to save my baby - been driving it to work since I bought it in May and already have 11K miles on it!

Old 11-30-2009, 11:34 PM
Nice looking truck!

Old 12-01-2009, 12:23 AM
Like others said, I would put a clay bar to it and turtle wax make some black wax that does wonders on my black jeep

You can get the wax at Auto Zone or most any parts store..

Old 12-01-2009, 09:10 AM
glc
Well, I would definitely clay it before using Ultimate Compound - otherwise you could introduce a ton of scratches.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Well, I would definitely clay it before using Ultimate Compound - otherwise you could introduce a ton of scratches.
I understand that now - will clay before the compound

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Down & Dirty - bring the paint back to life?