Meguiars #80 vs. 205.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meguiars #80 vs. 205.

Looking for some input on #80 vs. 205. I have used #80 for a while now and am running out soon. I have read tons of posts about how great 205 is, but havent seen someone directly compare the two. #80 is more cost effective right now, but if it is worth it to try, I would spend the extra money for the 205.

Any input from someone that has used both in the past?

Thanks,
Devildog101

Old 01-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Btt

Old 01-14-2010, 08:08 PM
205 is far superior to 80...

Had both....I was never a real fan of 80...RockPick however had done some amazing things with 80 over the years.

I never really got comfortable with the product. 205 on the other hand is one fantastic product. It cuts, it finishes.

Cheers

RR

Last edited by RollingRock; 01-15-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:00 PM
RR, What do you think about SwirlX vs 205?

I have 80 and SwirlX which isn't available here, but I grabbed it on one of my many, many trips to the states.

I'm not a big fan of 80, I constantly got hazy results that I could improve with 105 and a finishing pad and almost no pressure with my PC. I just don't thin I have the skill set for it at this point. Just so you know, I was working it long enough for it to break down.

I'm going to do the truck tomorrow and was going to try the Swirlx after the 105 as I have some nice wand wash scratches to take care of.

Should I hold out for my 205 to get here or will the SwirlX be enough to follow up the 105.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by Blown F-150
RR, What do you think about SwirlX vs 205?

I have 80 and SwirlX which isn't available here, but I grabbed it on one of my many, many trips to the states.

I'm not a big fan of 80, I constantly got hazy results that I could improve with 105 and a finishing pad and almost no pressure with my PC. I just don't thin I have the skill set for it at this point. Just so you know, I was working it long enough for it to break down.

I'm going to do the truck tomorrow and was going to try the Swirlx after the 105 as I have some nice wand wash scratches to take care of.

Should I hold out for my 205 to get here or will the SwirlX be enough to follow up the 105.
105 is a non diminishing abrasive, meaning as long as it is wet and touching the surface it is cutting....let me make sure you understand completely it still does "break" down but it take a very long time and you shouldn't need that much time with 105. Different pads will yield different looks on when the product is nearing the end of the cut process...but it doesn't fully stop cutting.

Which finishing pad were you using?

As for your questions about SwirlX, I have never used it so I wouldn't feel confident on using it...if you do have 80 I would rather use 80 over that if you have it.

If you don't have 80, i would wait for the 205...maybe another elder with more experince with Megs will jump in on the SwilrX I just don't know that product enough to tell you.

Do you have any other products? And lastly, how bad is your paint? Got any photos in the sun or under a brinkman light?

Old 01-15-2010, 07:09 PM
WOW That was fast!

I do understand the difference between the SMAT and diminishing abrasives, I spent a lot of time reading about 105/205 vs older products before getting it.

I will post up a couple of pics of what I'm tackling when I get the camera out at home with the spot light.

According to what I've seen in the Meg's training video's I am working 105 and 80 for the right amount of time and think I have gained a bit of a feel for the work time after doing my car and truck a couple of times each, but I'm by no means an expert Until the last round all of my #105 work was done with my rotary and a foam wool pad.

With a 5.5" white Lake Country pad on my PC I am getting a Haze in the finish after the #80 (after a proper wipe-down) I've tried working the product a little longer, a little shorter, and both at settings 3-5 on my PC.

105 seems to be so versatile that with a little more RPM and not much pressure at all it's darn near LSP ready.

Thanks again for the quick response. To put this in the right direction maybe I should start a separate thread.

I am much more picky with the truck than the car and would like to get better results this time by following up the 105 with SwirlX which I have on hand or 205 which I have just ordered with some more pads and MF's that might not be here for a while, just not sure if SwirlX is up to the task.

I really don't have too much for Product, just some Meg's stuff, off the top of my head I Have:
Fine and medium-cut cleaner (Meg's)
Scratch X (and 2.0)
ColorX
SwirlX
Ultimate Compound
NXT 2.0
other waxes/sealants
Clay
QD

Old 01-15-2010, 07:15 PM
WOW That was fast!

I do understand the difference between the SMAT and diminishing abrasives, I spent a lot of time reading about 105/205 vs older products before getting it.

I will post up a couple of pics of what I'm tackling when I get the camera out at home with the spot light.

According to what I've seen in the Meg's training video's I am working 105 and 80 for the right amount of time and think I have gained a bit of a feel for the work time after doing my car and truck a couple of times each, but I'm by no means an expert Until the last round all of my #105 work was done with my rotary and a foam wool pad.

With a 5.5" white Lake Country pad on my PC I am getting a Haze in the finish after the #80 (after a proper wipe-down) I've tried working the product a little longer, a little shorter, and both at settings 3-5 on my PC.

105 seems to be so versatile that with a little more RPM and not much pressure at all it's darn near LSP ready.

Thanks again for the quick response. To put this in the right direction maybe I should start a separate thread.

I am much more picky with the truck than the car and would like to get better results this time by following up the 105 with SwirlX which I have on hand or 205 which I have just ordered with some more pads and MF's that might not be here for a while, just not sure if SwirlX is up to the task.

I really don't have too much for Product, just some Meg's stuff, off the top of my head I Have:
Fine and medium-cut cleaner (Meg's)
Scratch X (and 2.0)
ColorX
SwirlX
Ultimate Compound
NXT 2.0
other waxes/sealants
Clay
QD

Ok the haze after 80 has me scratching my head a little, what pad are you using for that?

I was hesitant to tell you about finishing with 105...it can be ready to go right to LSP...but wow, you did it with a rotary? Was your finish really that bad?

105 does act differently with different pads obvious so you got that part figured out...the hazing using a white lake wiht 80 just doesn't make sense to me? Too much product?

Maybe some of the elders from the Cafe will see this thread or maybe start one there, lots of megs guys over there..

Cheers

RR

Old 01-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
Ok the haze after 80 has me scratching my head a little, what pad are you using for that?

I was hesitant to tell you about finishing with 105...it can be ready to go right to LSP...but wow, you did it with a rotary? Was your finish really that bad?

105 does act differently with different pads obvious so you got that part figured out...the hazing using a white lake pad with 80 just doesn't make sense to me? Too much product?

Maybe some of the elders from the Cafe will see this thread or maybe start one there, lots of megs guys over there..

Cheers

RR
I will copy and paste this into a thread on Cafe for sure. I would really like to know what other's think about SwirlX and what I can do with what I have.

Sorry I wasn't that clear about getting great results with the 105. I was adding the rotary comment about 105 in reference to my amount of experience with it and and the Rotary vs PC (not very much on the PC, only two complete vehicles). but only after a couple of details I gathered great results with the PC.
I must say after using the yellow megs polishing pad (W4000 I think) at 1100 RPM and keeping it FLAT, I was able to leave behind a pretty nice finish with minimal swirls.

I know with the #80 I do use more product than I do #105. on a 5.5" white LCC pad once primed I'm only using two pea-sized dabs on the pad to correct a 2'x2' area. with #80 I'm easily using double that for the same area.

I could see a haze in the clear after use of the #80 and could remove it with the 105 with some care and the steps described before.

Would the white pad that came with the PC be good for anything, I have no idea what type of foam it is, or what it's really meant to be used for.

As a side note, I had my whole truck re-painted two years ago. Although the painter (a good friend) did 2 coats of clear, I can tell the clear is softer than it was stock and I don't know if the softer clear is not responding well to the #80.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Would the white pad that came with the PC be good for anything, I have no idea what type of foam it is, or what it's really meant to be used for.
#80.
Wait, you used a white lake pad or the white pad that came with the kit?

Sorry OP....BlownF150...we need to start a new thread on this or finish over at the Cafe...again sorry to the OP

Last edited by RollingRock; 01-15-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Sorry OP, I have just set up a account on cafe and will move this over there. I was hoping to find out if SwirlX was a viable alternative to #80 and #205 but kinda went off on my own...

Hope you find out what you need!

Old 01-16-2010, 07:02 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Devildog101
Looking for some input on #80 vs. 205. I have used #80 for a while now and am running out soon. I have read tons of posts about how great 205 is, but havent seen someone directly compare the two. #80 is more cost effective right now, but if it is worth it to try, I would spend the extra money for the 205.

Any input from someone that has used both in the past?

Thanks,
Devildog101
My business has been way down but, having used #205 several times, I can tell you that it does a much better job on a newer finish than that of #80.

#80, as you know, is a diminishing abrasive product. #205 is a non-diminishing that finishes in a FANTASTIC way. Heck, I actually like #105 just about as much (or more) as #205 from a finishing standpoint on new or newer paint.

I've only used #205 on an older finish once -- it was a 1999 White Pontiac -- and it did pretty well but, I ended up going back over to #2 and #80.

So, all of that said, I'd definitely splurge and get the #205... it is pricier but, it's my personal opinion that it's a better product on a newer painted surface.

-RP-

Old 01-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Rockpick
My business has been way down but, having used #205 several times, I can tell you that it does a much better job on a newer finish than that of #80.

#80, as you know, is a diminishing abrasive product. #205 is a non-diminishing that finishes in a FANTASTIC way. Heck, I actually like #105 just about as much (or more) as #205 from a finishing standpoint on new or newer paint.

I've only used #205 on an older finish once -- it was a 1999 White Pontiac -- and it did pretty well but, I ended up going back over to #2 and #80.

So, all of that said, I'd definitely splurge and get the #205... it is pricier but, it's my personal opinion that it's a better product on a newer painted surface.

-RP-
Thanks Rp and RR,
I will have to try it then. I have always worked well with 80 and 83 if need be, but I guess I will upgrade.

Thanks for the advice, I will post back on my findings as well.

Devildog101

Quick Reply: Meguiars #80 vs. 205.