Stainless Steel Wheel cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chrome Wheel cleaning

Ok need a little help. Started cleaning up the truck tonight, and I was working on the wheels, when I noticed that there is some heavy black matter (almost like tar, just a lot harder), and it wont come off with a wire brush. I scraped a little spot with a small screwdriver, so I know it can be removed, just dont know what to use. Anyone got any ideas?? BTW: These are Chrome American Racing wheels.

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited by mcolford; 03-10-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:46 PM
are they stainless or chrome? ive never heard of a stainless steel wheel

Old 03-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by mcolford
Ok need a little help. Started cleaning up the truck tonight, and I was working on the wheels, when I noticed that there is some heavy black matter (almost like tar, just a lot harder), and it wont come off with a wire brush. I scraped a little spot with a small screwdriver, so I know it can be removed, just dont know what to use. Anyone got any ideas?? BTW: These are Stainless steel American Racing wheels.

Thanks,
Matt
I have had some of this from road construction in the past. My wheels were chrome and I use WD-40 and let it soak on the tarry substance for awhile via saturated rag. It then wiped right off! Good luck! Again, mine were chrome wheels.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Stainless + a wire brush = not good.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Dumbass attack... they are chrome. Dont know why I was thinking Stainless... but they are chrome. Again all help is appreciated.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:59 PM
I also cleaned them with Mothers Chrome Wheel Spray cleaner. This stuff was amazing! No hard washing, wiping or rubbing needed...spray on, wash off, they sparkled!

Old 03-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by mcolford
Dumbass attack... they are chrome. Dont know why I was thinking Stainless... but they are chrome. Again all help is appreciated.
in that case, i use an sos pad to clean the heavy deposites off my chrome. it works great and no, it will not scratch chrome.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Alright thanks y'all.

-Matt

Old 03-10-2010, 10:25 PM
esf
I would try some type of solvent. WD-40 might work. Stoner's Tarminator, Meg's Body Solvent, maybe even something acidic designed for wheels such as Meg's Wheel Brightener, Poorboy's Spray and Rinse Wheel Cleaner. All of those should be safe on wheels. There's a thread here from Detailer's Domain about a new wheel cleaner he is going to be stocking. That may be worth a try. Maybe shoot him a PM.

It is possible to scratch chrome with an SOS pad, steel wool or similar. They won't be big and noticeable but you can do it and it can take away from the overall shine of the wheel. I would try chemicals first. After that, I would try a clay bar that you don't ever plan on using on your paint. If none of these work, then I'd start looking in to other more aggressive options.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kozal01
in that case, i use an sos pad to clean the heavy deposites off my chrome. it works great and no, it will not scratch chrome.
I would not - under any circumstances - use steel wool on a chrome plated wheel. No matter how fine a grade of steel wool you use, you will induce scratches / marring. If you take a look at the surface in direct sunlight after steel wool, you'll see what I mean. It's like sanding the surface.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
I would not - under any circumstances - use steel wool on a chrome plated wheel. No matter how fine a grade of steel wool you use, you will induce scratches / marring. If you take a look at the surface in direct sunlight after steel wool, you'll see what I mean. It's like sanding the surface.
im not going to get into a pissing match with you but i will tell you ive been using it for more than 10 years on my chrome parts and its never ever scratched it. i work with chrome at work frequently and i know how hard it is. i could get into rockwell hardness ratings but its not worth my time. use it or dont, up to you, its worked for me for years so i will continue to use it.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:25 PM
esf
I've personally seen it scratch chrome. First hand. As in I've done it, myself, with SOS pad in hand. I didn't notice it at first but the scratches are there, they're very fine (not to mention numerous), but they do catch light and take away from the clarity of shine that chrome usually has.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:55 PM
I have had many items chrome plated and some types of chrome plating are harder than others but it still is plating and can be worn or abraded away.

The first thing I learned about properly detailing vehicles is to always use the least aggressive method first and gradually step up to what is needed to get the job done.

IMHO I would recommend a shot of WD40 or 91% Isopropyl alcohol first then white claybar.

Steel wool use is a form of mechanical sanding....with steel.
SOS is for pots, pans, silverware, scuffed whitewall tires and uncoated raw metals at my house.

Last edited by Old Dogg™; 03-11-2010 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Sentence structure
Old 03-11-2010, 06:21 PM
These guys are right the steel wool is very abrasive and will cause damage to your chrome. A good chrome polish will do wonders with getting that black deposits off but it will take some scrubbing to get it done but they will come off.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:08 AM
Ok.... so I just finished cleaning the truck up, and the wheels are damaged. The chrome finish is coming off. 2 arent too bad, the other 2 look ugly. I cant afford new ones right now, as our household hasnt made a full recession recovery. I can either 1-paint them 2-leave them 3-does anyone know how to clean them up and make them at least look better? All help is appreciated

-Matt

Quick Reply: Stainless Steel Wheel cleaning