New truck...where to start

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 02:53 PM
CD1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New truck...where to start

I've got a brand new 2010 truck. Is there a recommended process for initial paint/exterior protection? It's going to be on gravel roads many weekends while I'm out fishing and hunting. Is there anything I can put on the truck now to minimize the wear and tear on my paint later?

I figure I'll just wash and wax it this week...but if there is a better starting point I'd love to hear it.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Mud flaps if you don't already have them. Those are probably the best protection for chips as far as gravel roads go. Bug deflector never hurts either. Otherwise keeping it polished and waxed is about all you can do.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Even though it is a new truck i would atleast clay bar it. I have seen plenty of new trucks that have so much crap in the paint. Usually it is caused by the transport of the truck before it gets to the dealer. Clay it real good then put a good coat of wax on it (megs nxt 2.0) after the wax wait around 12 hours and put a coat of sealer on the truck.I use the poorboys sealant and it protects the paint very good. Good luck with everything

Old 03-21-2010, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
Even though it is a new truck i would atleast clay bar it. I have seen plenty of new trucks that have so much crap in the paint. Usually it is caused by the transport of the truck before it gets to the dealer. Clay it real good then put a good coat of wax on it (megs nxt 2.0) after the wax wait around 12 hours and put a coat of sealer on the truck.I use the poorboys sealant and it protects the paint very good. Good luck with everything
I agree. I would at minimum.

Wash with dishwashing soap. This will clean anything off thats been put on and should only be done once, then use car wash. There is a difference..

Clay bar

Paint sealant. I use Blackfire Wet diamond with polycharger. Let it set overnight.

Then carnauba wax. This should be done atleast twice a year.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:12 PM
The biggest thing you need to change is your washing habits and use the two bucket method with Grit Guards in the buckets and a good quality wash mitt. The other thing you need to use is a good quality Car Wash soap Meg's Gold Class is probably the easiest to get. I would also dermine a budget on what you want to spend because you can spend alot of money on product and for fear of divorce I will not post how much I have invested in my stash.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:46 PM
CD1
Thanks for the advice guys! I'll get my materials together this week and plan for a weekend assault.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:54 PM
I will add one thing. If you are using a paint sealant and then wax make sure you put the sealant on first then the wax. You don't have to put a wax on after a sealant, it will just make the paint look a little deeper that way.

Paint sealant last between 3-6 months. Depends on the brand you use.

Wax last 6-8 weeks.

Quick Reply: New truck...where to start