How soon can I wax?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2000, 08:02 PM
Location: Chandler/Queen Creek, AZ You pick as to which town I'm in! Hehe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post How soon can I wax?

I just got the truck back from the body/paint shop after having the roof channels redone and I have just on question for you all:

How soon can I polish/wax the area's that was redone?

Any info is appreciated.

Dean

------------------
99 F-150,XLT, Silver, 2WD, 4.2L, 5spd, RegCab, Shrt WB, Styleside.
Current Mods:Billet grille, Line-X bedliner, 5%window tint all the way around, Alpine CD w/2 MTX Subs & Rockford Fosgate 250w amp. K&N Airfilter. Glasspac w/dual exhaust exits out the back. Blue Ion Headlights.
Future Mods: Superchip, driving lights(on order), & a custom paint job

Old 01-06-2000, 09:11 PM
Talking

Hey Fordman99:
Before the magic of clearcoat paint systems, you used to have to wait for 60 days, in order for the solvents to evaporate. Now, the wait time has been much reduced, due to the chemical reaction of today's coatings. I believe that a week is now all you need. if you want more info, go to www.zainobros.com , and send them an E-mail about any paint curing questions that you might have. they usually get back to you pretty quick. I gave my new truck the full treatment the same weekend I brought it home, and have had no problems.

------------------
2000 XLT Black Sport, Flareside, 2WD, Ext. Cab, 5.4L Auto. Other factory options: 3.55 LS, Class III tow, 6-way Captains chairs w/CD changer, Remote entry , and Slider window.
Mods: Undercoat, window tint, headlight & tail light covers, removed "Sport" decals, upgraded Triton tailgate emblem, Linex spray-in bedliner, and an ARE LSII lid.
Wish list: Flowmaster duals, K&N FIPK, and a Belltech 3/4 drop.
Check it out at: http://home.columbus.rr.com/selva1/

Old 01-07-2000, 02:46 PM
Location: INDIANA,.....USA " Where more than Corn grows in Indiana"!!!
Red face

You may want to call the shop that did your paint work, first. My local dealer has always told me to wait at least 30 days & also said its better if you wait till 60 days. My ARE fiberglass bed cover was less than a week out from the factory & the ARE dealer told me to wait 60 days on it to wax.The bed cover was also clearcoat / basecoat paint too. So you better check first with your body shop on whats best to do. I hope this helps you......LARIAT1

------------------
Red/Silver LARIAT, 3Dr.SC,Flareside 4x4 ORP,Tow Pack.,Graphite Interior,60/40 Bench Seat W/Power Driver Seat,6 Disc Changer & Cass player,Tilt Wheel, Crus. Control,AC,Rear Sliding Glass,Power Windows & Door Locks,A.R.E Fg. Bedcover,Zie-Bart Total Paint & Under Coating W/Sound deadener Protection,3.55LS,4.6L,Auto,Spiltfire Platinum 3 Sparkplugs,New Motorcraft Drive Belt,K&N Airfilter W/Mod.Factory Airbox,Tornado Air Man., Velocity Tube,Custom Dual Exhaust W/20`` Chrome Tips,AVS Window Shades & Door Sills & Tail Lite Slots,GTS Carbon Fiber Headlite Covers,FORD 2-Piece Bra, Tinted Windows, Pendaliner Tailgate(Inner)Cover,Ford Security System W/Motion Alarm,Fog Lights, Foglites Works W/Brites On, FORD #1 TRUCK Under Glass On Front Bumper,Custom Ford Oval Red Decals,A/TS Goodyear Tires,Perfomance Fiction Carbon Metallic Disc Brake Pads, Owens Fg. Step Boards,55 Watt (Replacement) Backup Lites,Pilot 55 Watt Back up Lites On Hitch Under Truck. This is LARIAT 1... IN The Great State Of Indiana..........http://hometown.aol.com/terrylariat1...page/auto.html

Old 01-07-2000, 05:30 PM
I would wait 30 days.

Old 01-07-2000, 10:53 PM
Talking

I actually made the mistake of waiting too long on my last truck. I waited the bogus obligatory 60 days (during the middle of summer) and acid rain, bird crap, etc., left permanent etchings in my unprotected clearcoat. Never again. For my new truck, the dealer said I could polish right away, but on the ARE lid, I got the 60 day wait advice from the ARE dealer. I was concerned, but I E-mailed Sal Zaino of Zaino Brothers, and he convinced me that if it wasn't cured in a week, it would never cure. I took his advice, coated right away, and my new black truck and lid is now 3 months old and doesn't have a mark on it anywhere. Sorry to further muddy the waters here, just sharing what worked and didn't work in my case. Can anyone else share their experience?

Old 01-08-2000, 08:50 PM
Location: Chandler/Queen Creek, AZ You pick as to which town I'm in! Hehe
Everyone,
Thanks for the information! I'll ask them on Monday when I call them to set the truck up again to have the paint chip in the drivers door fixed, that was cause by the morons over in the service department .

------------------
99 F-150,XLT, Silver, 2WD, 4.2L, 5spd, RegCab, Shrt WB, Styleside.
Current Mods:Billet grille, Line-X bedliner, 5%window tint all the way around, Alpine CD w/2 MTX Subs & Rockford Fosgate 250w amp. K&N Airfilter. Glasspac w/dual exhaust exits out the back. Blue Ion Headlights.
Future Mods: Superchip, driving lights(on order), & a custom paint job

Old 01-09-2000, 01:12 PM
Wink

I think your friend may be whacked...........
I say don't wait, protect it ASAP. If in doubt, E-mail Zaino, as I mentioned above, and ask a pro. By the way, my paint is black too.

Old 01-09-2000, 09:24 PM
you can wax, as soon as your "binkini line" grows back in....*giggles*

Old 01-09-2000, 10:00 PM
Smile

Good one.

Old 01-09-2000, 10:26 PM
Question

Thought so. k, now a new question to add to the thread. It's cold in Toronto (Canada) now, and will be getting much colder. What is the coldest it can be to wax a truck? I have a feeling I might have to wait until spring.

------------------
Black 98 F150 XL Sportgroup
2WD 5spd 4.6L Triton V8
Reg. Cab Short Box 3.08
Air, Sliding Rear Window,
Boxliner,

Old 01-09-2000, 10:46 PM
Talking

You can wax in nearly any cold temperature, problem is.............it might take till spring to dry. Is there anywhere you can bring it into a garage and heat it up for just a couple of hours? That's all you need for now.

Old 01-10-2000, 12:43 AM
Question

This might sound whacked, but a friend told me that on a new paint job, new wax should not be applied for an entire season. Is this true? It sounds whacked to me. The reason I ask is that i have a new paint job, AND it's black. So what should i do?

------------------
Black 98 F150 XL Sportgroup
2WD 5spd 4.6L Triton V8
Reg. Cab Short Box 3.08
Air, Sliding Rear Window,
Boxliner,

Quick Reply: How soon can I wax?