cracks prevention?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2000, 02:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question cracks prevention?

I just found out about the cracks in the doors (I know I'm way behind on this one) If my truck has no signs of cracks (yet) is there a way to prevent them?
Can the area be rustprotected?

------------------
Black 98 F150 XL Sportgroup
2WD 5spd 4.6L Triton V8
Reg. Cab Short Box 3.08
Air, Sliding Rear Window,
Boxliner,

[This message has been edited by defacto (edited 01-09-2000).]

Old 01-09-2000, 10:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no real way to prevent this problem. Several board members (myself included) feel that the repetative use of the windows..and the resulting flexing of the sheet metal seems to be the cause of this problem. You can see that area of the door flex when the window is used. I can't remember the original F-150 member who posted this observation.

However, I work with a guy who owns a 1999 F-150, is a smoker, and is constantly using his drivers window..and has not yet developed the crack.

My 98 F-150 had not developed the crack and so far my 2000 does not have it either. I rarely use my windows..so I hope a fix from FORD comes out soon before mine crack. FORD seems to have fixed the piston slap and sliding rear window leak...so they are trying to keep us happy!

FORD needs to correct this problem ASAP!!

---------------------------------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55, class III towing package with heavy duty cooling package, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, Pendaliner bedliner, K&N air filter, rubberized undercoating, cabin filtration system, Bugflector II, 5W-30 Mobil 1, engine build 10/4/99

[This message has been edited by Dustoff (edited 01-09-2000).]

Old 01-09-2000, 11:17 AM
ASAP is RIGHT! My warranty runs out in about 10 months (I won't reach 60,000 first). If the cracks don't show themselves soon I'll be in trouble. I just know that they'll show up a week after my warranty is gone.

------------------
Black 98 F150 XL Sportgroup
2WD 5spd 4.6L Triton V8
Reg. Cab Short Box 3.08
Air, Sliding Rear Window,
Boxliner,

Old 01-09-2000, 07:54 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. You can be sure I'll post immediately if the cracks ever appear on my 2000.

------------------
2000 XLT Black Sport, Flareside, 2WD, Ext. Cab, 5.4L Auto. Other factory options: 3.55 LS, Class III tow, 6-way Captains chairs w/CD changer, Remote entry , and Slider window.
Mods: Undercoat, window tint, headlight & tail light covers, removed "Sport" decals, upgraded Triton tailgate emblem, Linex spray-in bedliner, and an ARE LSII lid.
Wish list: Flowmaster duals, K&N FIPK, and a Belltech 3/4 drop.
Check it out at: http://home.columbus.rr.com/selva1/

Old 01-09-2000, 10:31 PM
Thumbs down

Bad news. On closer examination, I found "the crack". It's on the driver's side. Not much more than half an inch, but it's there. Now I gotta call ford. Man, if i hear so much as ONE slap in the engine I'll loose it!

Old 01-10-2000, 01:19 PM
Question

what is this "crack" everybody is talking about? Should I be concerned? where do I look for this?

------------------
Ford vs Chevy
www.fordvschevy.com
Moderator: Road Kill, Mustang vs F-bodies
2000 White F-150 Sport 4.2L 5-speed
No Mods Yet

Old 01-10-2000, 10:04 PM
Location: INDIANA,.....USA " Where more than Corn grows in Indiana"!!!
faksfvc, The cracks (fractures) are on mostly the driver side door under the weather strip at the bottom of the window corner right above the door handle. The curve going up where the black weather stripping is the thickest...pull back the weather strip and look for a 1/4" to 3/4" fracture in the steel. Some show outside the weather strip as well. Check out on the home page there is a article on this on the right hand side below the picture in the box 2nd or 3rd article, I think. Hope this will help you!!....Lariat1

------------------
Red/Silver LARIAT, 3Dr.SC,Flareside 4x4 ORP,Tow Pack.,Graphite Interior,60/40 Bench Seat W/Power Driver Seat,6 Disc Changer & Cass player,Tilt Wheel, Crus. Control,AC,Rear Sliding Glass,Power Windows & Door Locks,A.R.E Fg. Bedcover,Zie-Bart Total Paint & Under Coating Protection W/Sound Deadener ,3.55LS,4.6L,Auto,Spiltfire Platinum 3 Sparkplugs,New Motorcraft Drive Belt,K&N Airfilter W/Mod.Factory Airbox,Tornado Air Man.,WMS Velocity Tube,Custom Dual Exhaust W/20`` Chrome Tips,AVS Window Shades & Door Sills & Tail Lite Slots,GTS Carbon Fiber Headlite Covers,FORD 2-Piece Bra, Tinted Windows, Pendaliner Tailgate(Inner)Cover,Ford Security System W/Motion Alarm,Fog Lights, Foglites Works W/Brites On, FORD #1 TRUCK Under Glass On Front Bumper,Custom Ford Oval Red Decals,A/TS Goodyear Tires,Perfomance Fiction Carbon Metallic Disc Brake Pads, Owens Fg. Step Boards,55 Watt (Replacement) Backup Lites,Pilot 55 Watt Back up Lites On Hitch Under Truck. This is LARIAT 1... IN The Great State Of Indiana..........http://hometown.aol.com/terrylariat1...page/auto.html

Old 01-10-2000, 10:39 PM
Unhappy

ugh, that sucks.... Is it more common in the extended cabs or single cabs???

------------------
Ford vs Chevy
www.fordvschevy.com
Moderator: Road Kill, Mustang vs F-bodies
2000 White F-150 Sport 4.2L 5-speed
No Mods Yet

Old 01-11-2000, 04:34 PM
Seems to show up on both equally...I'm having both my doors replaced as we speak...

------------------
'97 4.2L ext.cab flareside w/Linex

Old 01-11-2000, 05:51 PM
Is Ford replacing doors for everyone, or are some dealers giving a hard time. My rig is new, but I am keeping an eye on this one.

------------------
BLK 2000 F150 XLT 4X4 SuperCab SB, Shift-on-the-fly, 5.4L, 4R70W, 3.55 LS, 4-Wheel disc/ABS, ORP, Keyless, PWR Seat, Slider, Soft tonneau, Cab steps.
MODS: Rhino, Molded flaps

Old 01-11-2000, 10:27 PM
I bought my truck from a private party a couple of months ago and the dealer I brought it to didn't hesitate in honoring the door fix...of course they've had my truck for a month now!

[This message has been edited by hutch7 (edited 01-11-2000).]

Quick Reply: cracks prevention?