Paint Chip!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-1999, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Paint Chip!

Well it happened! Not three months old, and it's got a chip in the paint right on the top leading edge of the hood! All the way to the metal, looks like a giant zit on the nose of my beautiful truck! AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Now, I need help! My dealership says I have to repaint the entire hoof to fix it, or use touch-up paint to fill the gapping hole left where the paint vacated! Any tips on how I should go about fixing this so that the touch-up paint blends with the existing paint? I want to make it as smooth and close to new as I can, I certainly can't afford to repaint the entire hood!

Any comforting words in my hour od need?

Thanks!

------------------
Paul... :-)
99 F-150 XLT SC Sport, 4.6L, Auto, Captain Chairs, Class III Towing Package, Sliding Rear Window,
White, 4X2, CD, Soft Factory Tonneau Cover, K&N Filter, Line-X Spray on Bed Liner
More to come

Old 12-15-1999, 11:12 PM
go to www.carcareonline.com and go to how to articles, there is one that says how to repair paint chips

Old 12-16-1999, 01:40 AM
franks&beans
Cool

One thing I do is make sure the touch up bottle is warmed up, I accomplish this by putting it in my pocket for an hour or so, or just run it under warm, not hot tap water. When the paint is warm it will flow better and fill the hole. Shake throughly prior to opening. Since my chips are small (no bigger than a # 2 pencil lead I do not sand the area w/ sand paper, instead I use a Q-tip dabbed w/ some rubbing alcohol and clean the paint chip area very well. This removes wax, dirt, and road grime. Don't apply too much paint the first time, a couple of dabs should do the trick. Practice dabbing the little brush on some paper or a piece of wood to get the feel of it. I have filled lets see now..... 5 paint chips on my truck. and you can't even tell unless your eyeball is pressed against the paint where is was chipped. My paint color is Pacific Green.

Good luck,

F&B's

[This message has been edited by franks&beans (edited 12-16-1999).]

Old 12-16-1999, 08:09 AM
Thumbs up

99F and F&B,

Thanks for the input! 99, I downloaded the PDF on Paint Chip Repair, that's a pretty intense process!

F&B, The dealer put a glob of Touch-up paint on the chip, it went to the bare metal! The touch up paint looked like crap, and the Customer Service Gal flicked a hunk of it off with her fingernail! Now I'm left the some of the remaining touch up paint still in the chip! Any suggestions on removing it so that I can start from scratch (pardon the pun) and do it right?

Thanks all!

------------------
Paul... :-)
99 F-150 XLT SC Sport, 4.6L, Auto, Captain Chairs, Class III Towing Package, Sliding Rear Window,
White, 4X2, CD, Soft Factory Tonneau Cover, K&N Filter, Line-X Spray on Bed Liner
More to come

Old 01-13-2000, 02:28 PM
Lightbulb

Why don't you just get a nice bug deflector...it looks good and you can't see any leading edge blemishes

Old 01-13-2000, 06:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

Well I have a chip in mine and I only had it 2 months and one day. My chip is on the rear wheel well on the right rear I noticed it when I washed it today and I got piseed real fast. I don't know if it was caused by a car door or from a stone but I'll will have to get some touch up paint to fix it before it rust.

Old 01-13-2000, 07:29 PM
hey guys~
well i've had my truck for about a year and a half and must say my front bumper is a nightmare. it probably has close to 15-20 small paint chips. not really worried about it though, cause i will hopefully be purchasing a Roush bumper cover in the next couple of months.

paul t~
try using rubbing compound . . .

***JasoN***

------------------
Oxford White 1998 F-150 STX, reg. cab, flareside, 4.2, auto, 3.55s, tint, Prestige alarm, Bel radar detector, Pioneer CD player, 4 Polk 5x7's, Stull billet grille and bumper insert, Flowmaster exhaust, K&N airfilter, V-Tech Tailight Covers(painted to match truck), removed factory mud flaps, Clear Corner Lenses, DJM shackles, Billet Oval Mirror FUTURE MODS: Roush Front Bumper, Yokohama AVS S/T 285/60/17, Superchip, ASP Crank Pulley, Steeda Sway Bar, Herculiner, removal of emblems GIG'EM AGGIES

Old 01-14-2000, 10:54 AM
Thumbs up

No chips here...I got the two-piece bra (with Ford logo). Also, I installed factory side moulding (they don't come on flaresides) and wheel well mouldings to minimize parking lot dings. On top of this, I park way out but I need the exercise anyway.

------------------
'99 F150 SC, 4x2, Oxford white, flareside, 5.4, 3.55 rearend,
bodyside mouldings, Snugtop hard tonneau, K&N dropin and airbox mod.
Duraliner drop-in (gave up on the Penda Nascar). Gibson Supertruck
No door cracks yet at 5K!!!

Future mods: 2/4 lowering, bra and some Roush stuff.

Old 01-14-2000, 08:52 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have found this so-called touch up paint doesn't really do that great of a job. I usually go to the automotive paint supply store, purchase a quart of matching paint and using a cardboard match, I kept the end with a very sharp knife on a diagonal, and generally fill chipped. Prior to filling clean the area very well with adhesive remover, paint thinner or alcohol. The filling will take several weeks allowing the paint to cure completely before adding more. Another option that I have found works very well is to buy a box of crayons and fill the hole with a crayon by closely matches the paint color. Using a soft cloth, and warm water, gently rub the surface which will smooth the wax in blend the surface smoothly with your paint. I use this technique with my wife's 1997 cougar which is a gloss black.

Good luck well, Jeff

------------------
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II

Old 01-15-2000, 12:25 AM
Exclamation

for all you guys that have painted bumpers, why don't you get them powder coated. For about 150.00 you will not have to worry about all those little rocks knocking chips into the paint then..

------------------
Ford vs Chevy
www.fordvschevy.com
Moderator: Road Kill, Mustang vs F-bodies
2000 White F-150 Sport 4.2L 5-speed,3.55 rear end gears
No Mods Yet

Old 01-20-2000, 04:36 PM
Hey everyone,
For those really bad paint chip, try placing a www.F150Online.com Sticker on it.
Just kidding of course. Seriously, go to a auto body supply store for the best supplies. Walmart or Pepboys are just not the same.

See ya at Norfolk in June....

------------------
97 Metalic Blue F150 Xtra cab, Flare side, 700 Watt Sony CD system, Hard cover, Customized air box, running boards. Planing on lowering, chipping, and adding a Cat-back.

Quick Reply: Paint Chip!