Black spots on mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-1999, 09:29 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Post Black spots on mirrors

Both of my signal mirrors have black spots and a few scratches all over the glass. I've used every kind of glass cleaner and I'm beginning to think these spots are under the glass. If someone knows of a product to remove these I'd appreciate it. I don't really want to take it to the dealer because these mirrors are rock solid and I'd probably end up trading mirror spots for a mirror rattle.

------------------
99 Lariat Normal Cab 2WD 120"WB 5.4 3.55LS Tow Dark Toreador/Gold Line-X
raoul_oba@hotmail.com (Virginia)

Old 12-10-1999, 02:21 PM
J-C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raoul,
If the spots are in the mirroring (behind the glass) you'll need to get the mirrors replaced. I think that just the glass part can be replaced and you'd still have rock solid mirrors when it was over.
Good luck.

Old 12-10-1999, 03:24 PM
If the silvering is delaminating then J-C is right new glass/mirrors are only solution. Try 0000 steel wool with a 10% ammonia solution. If that doesn't work try the glass rouge polish. What brand is this thing?

[This message has been edited by cphilip (edited 12-10-1999).]

Old 12-10-1999, 03:30 PM
What brand is this thing? Its not the Murth is it?

[This message has been edited by cphilip (edited 12-10-1999).]

Old 12-10-1999, 09:50 PM
I had the same trouble. Had the glass portions replaced under warranty. They
just pop in there ... no problem.

------------------
1998 F-150 Lariat S/C 4x4 5.4L Line-x

Old 12-10-1999, 10:07 PM
Damnit, Raoul... You gotta quit driving backwards so fast!! Those are gnats on your mirrors!

Old 12-10-1999, 10:34 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Smile

Thanks guys, I was pretty sure it's under the glass, just looking for some support. I guess I'll give the dealer a heads up before I go in for my next service.

cphillip, they are factory signal mirrors.

Dennis, you should be ashamed of yourself, making a wisecrack when it's obvious I'm suffering here.
Why I never...

Old 12-11-1999, 04:09 PM
Seriously, Raoul... to determine if the spots/defects are behind the glass, just hold a straight edge (any object, actually, but a straight edge seems to work better) over the area and look at the reflections at an angle. You'll see what I mean. Look carefully at the reflection of the straight edge. You should see two of them. One of the first (top) surface and one on the second (back) surface. Then you can compare the two reflections with the black spots.

You might have to play a bit with the angles and lighting, but you should see which surface the defects are on really easily.

Dennis

P.S. Love your posts... Thanks for making me laugh so much.

Old 01-31-2000, 05:45 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Thumbs up

Finally got my truck to the dealer. They will replace the mirrors, no problem. The technician said he has replaced others with this condition. He did warn me that when the replacements come in they may be the dual arrow mirrors like the Expedition has. Evidently, the single arrow was just on the '99 and there aren't that many lying around. I guess as long as they are both the same I can live with it.

------------------
99 Lariat Normal Cab 2WD 120"WB 5.4 3.55LS, Tow,
Dark Toreador/Gold, Line-X
raoul_oba@hotmail.com
F150's of Virginia
Just cause we're from Virginia don't mean we're(well, you know)

Old 02-01-2000, 04:23 PM
Question

my passenger mirror cracked last night does anyone know how to remove and reinstall the glass??????? is there glue ,,what kind????

------------------
pacific green 97 f150 4.6l..reg cab flareside 150XLT ,ROUSH suspention down 3 fr and3.5rear with BILSTIEN shocks,3.55LS,snug lid,carpeted bed, painted tailight accents,4x4 grill &bumper,k&n,SUPERCHIP(THANX MIKE),ram air kit,valvoline synthetic,accel super stock wires,platinum plus4 plugs,flow master muff,blue halogen bulbs, speed-glo dash,carbon fiber gauge accent,..."#6 sticker!!!!"
STEREO:eclipse head unit ,boston seperates ,orion amp, pioneer amp,2-orion 12's,custom box by me!,sony adjustable crossover,1 farad cap&way to many cd's

Quick Reply: Black spots on mirrors