Clearcoat Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2000, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clearcoat Scratches

Well, I was off-road this weekend, and although I was extremely careful, I still managed to get a scratch along the whole passenger side from a too-close encounter with a Palo Verde tree. I've inspected it and it looks like the scratch just breaks through the Clearcoat and not the paint. What's the best way to remove/repair this goof. Clay? Compound? Polish? An expensive trip to the detailer? What are my options? TIA

Reavis

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat SB Supercab 4x4 Off-Road Pkg, Tow Pkg. 5.4L, 3.55 LS rear, Bright Red over Silver, Med. Graphite Guts, Rear Slider, K&N Filter, Cabin Filtration System, Superchip, Mobil 1.

[This message has been edited by Reavis (edited 01-31-2000).]

Old 01-31-2000, 05:03 PM
Reavis,

I don't profess to be an expert in the area of auto-body repair, but I have had some pretty good success with the removal of scratches over the years. Here's what I do:

Get some 2000 grit wet-sandpaper and a bucket of water. Add a generous portion of liquid soap into the bucket of water. Gently start rubbing the area(s) affected, stopping frequently to check your progress. Keep the area saturated with the soapy water solution and be patient!! Don't rub too hard or you will cut through the clearcoat(or worse, the paint itself!!) I would suggest that you experiment on a small part of the truck to start with and gain experience(and confidence). Afterwards, I go back with a glazing compound to finish and blend in.
I would also recommend talking to your local paint store for any other ideas, but I have had great success with my method...although I haven't had to use it on my new truck!!!

Good Luck!!!

------------------
2000 F-150,XLT,Bright Red Clearcoat, 4x4,ORP,SC,4-speed auto.,overhead console,sliding rear window, 5.4L, 3.55 LS,Tow Package, Ford factory Tonneau cover, Cab Rails, Lund Bug Shield, Mudflaps, Tennatoys 18" antenna, Pendaliner, K&N air filter, "Ford" hitch receiver plate, Mobil 1

Old 01-31-2000, 07:42 PM
Reavis, is the scratch deep enough to hang your fingernail in? If it is then you will have to use something with an abrasive in it to remove the scratch. I would recommend 3M Perfect-it Foam Polishing pad glaze.

If your fingernail doesn't catch on the scratch, then I would recommend the Zainobros' line of polishes. Zaino Z5 will fill in the scratch and save your clearcoat.

Hope this helps
Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris Lemoine (edited 01-31-2000).]

Old 01-31-2000, 11:55 PM
I agree with the last 2 posts with this possible addition. If it's deep enough to sink you nail into, you will want to perform the wet 2000/2400 sandpaper trick and then get an airbrush with a small fan tip to re-apply the clear. The actual paint of the Base/Clear paint is very delicate and needs the clear to stop the discoloring, and the yellowing of the exposed edges of the clear. After you have done the clear application and let it dry for at least 1 day, you will again get the wet 2000/2400 out to blend the area back together. Keep the area being sanded WET, do not push too hard or you will load the sandpaper and introduce new scratches. Last thing is to use the 3m pad and compound. It'll look like brand new!
Bruce

------------------
'97 F-150 Lariat,4.6, S/C, 4X4, SB, 17"wheels, no mods.

Old 02-01-2000, 09:55 AM
I appreciate the info guys. The scratch is actually is variable in depth. Some parts of it have no discernable 'feel' to it while farther along, I can indeed catch my fingernail in it. If I Zaino the shallow areas, will I still be able to go back and 3M the deeper areas? And then, will I need to re-clearcoat the entire area, or only the spots that I 3M'd? This sounds like more than I want to do, but I may try it if I know I won't make things worse. Maybe the local detailer or good body shop is a smarter choice, I dunno.

Old 02-01-2000, 10:40 AM
Cool

The 3M products are clearcoat safe, so your clearcoat should be fine. Try the 3M product I said above, if it doesn't totally take away the scratch then 3M offers other compounds that have more abravsives in them. Once you have remove the scratch then polish it with Zaino.

IMO, I would hold off on the sandpaper if your not experienced with it. You could do more damage than good.

Chris

Old 02-01-2000, 10:47 AM
Yeah, that's I'm afraid of too. I'll start out easy tho, and I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again.

Old 02-02-2000, 12:22 AM
Whoa there guys. Sandpaper? Airbrush? They should be your absolute LAST resort. There are dozens of polishes available that will take out (or hide) the scratch.
Zaino won't do it (and Sal will tell you this) and neither will a glaze (not strong enough). Meguiar's and 3M have several products that vary in abrasiveness. Start with Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #2 (Hi-tech cleaner) or the equivalent 3M product, these both remove light scratches and leave the finish ready to wax. For the heavier parts of the scratch use a stronger abrasive (like Meguiar's #1) then a polish or glaze to restore the finish.
In other words always start with the product that will do the least amount of damage first, then work your way up to something stronger as necessary.

------------------
1999 Lariat Super Cab, S.B. 5.4L, 3.55 LS
and everything but the leaky slider window.
Bright red w/ gold 2-tone, Leather Captain's Chairs
Mods: Duraliner bedliner, Bugflector II, Hide-a-hooks.
& a leeetle chrome tip on the exhaust.

Old 02-02-2000, 12:51 AM
Indyfan-

Meguiars eh? I use their cleaning and wax products now, I'll look for the other glazes too. The last thing I want to do is make it worse.

On a related side note, the truck performed wonderfully off-road in 4L on a fairly twisty, rutted with big loose rocks, old mine road. I had more confidence in this thing than my old CJ-5.

Old 02-02-2000, 12:58 AM
Sorry if I spooked ya! I agree with the post that said start slowly, with the polish (unless you are down to the paint then... well, you know). If you can't get rid of it with the polish or at some time later the polish/wax just isn't cutting it, then re-clear the area. Just a note of warning. Wax and polish will not allow the clear to grip and you will end up with "Fish eyes" so if you're going to spray the clear you MUST strip any wax or polish from the area. I know it sounds hard and kinda of spooky but it really is very easy. e-mail me if you want complete instructions buzword@telusplanet.net
Best of luck, and stop worrying... it'll be good as new soon!
Bruce

------------------
'97 F-150 Lariat,4.6, S/C, 4X4, SB, 17"wheels, no mods.

Old 02-02-2000, 03:22 PM
Reavis,
Before I go offroad I also make sure my truck has a good coat of wax. I use mothers paste wax (pure with no cleaners). It seems to be a very tough wax and prevents abrasions.

------------------
1996 F-150 (3/96-old style)XLT, 302, 5sp. Toreador Red CC, Tow Pkg, Optional Payload Pkg, HD susp., Flowmaster 40 series, "Duals",
Raven Cap, Bumper Guards, Hood Ornament, Unity Lights, Jet Chip, K&N, B&M Shift ****, Hidden Hitch w/ Ford Motorsports Cover,...etc.

Old 02-02-2000, 03:44 PM
Thumbs up

That's good advice, Hank, and I'm sure it would help with a lot of the minor stuff. What I got would have gone through the wax though.

Quick Reply: Clearcoat Scratches