STRIPPING OLD WAX - OPTIONS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2000, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post STRIPPING OLD WAX - OPTIONS?

for years, i have stripped all the wax off my vehicles every year by using tar and bug remover liberally across entire vehilce, then wiping clean. I then wash it with dawn (gets all grease off) and start from scratch with polish then wax. This has worked great for me. You would be surpised how old wax becomes dingy after 1 year! really easy to see on a white vehicle, but it really dulls colors also. Anyone have any feedback on how they strip wax without finish damage? Oh by the way, i dont leave tar and bug cleaner on long, just long enough to get through the wax, and I ONLY use dawn to wash after this process, NEVER at any other time, as it breaks wax down.

------------------

Old 02-24-2000, 08:33 PM
andrew. I believe you can skip the bug and tar remover and just use the Dawn. You can tell when the wax is gone 'cause the water tends to "sheet" instead of bead.

------------------
1999 Lariat Super Cab, S.B. 5.4L, 3.55 LS
and everything but the leaky slider window.
Bright red w/ gold 2-tone, Leather Captain's Chairs
Mods: Duraliner bedliner, Bugflector II, Hide-a-hooks.
& a leeetle chrome tip on the exhaust.

Old 02-24-2000, 09:29 PM
Talking

True-- dishwashing liquid will strip off old wax. Maguire's (sp?) also makes two deep cleaning products, one for cars with clearcoat, one for cars w/o. 'Deep Crystal' cleaner, I believe.

------------------
Ninety-niner F-150 XLT, 5.4 Triton (no slap!)
4x4, Class III Tow, Oxford White and sooooo clean. :o)

Old 02-24-2000, 09:36 PM
andrew:
There is no doubt that your procedure will leave your paint as clean as can be before you apply a new coat of wax. But like the others here have said, the bug and tar remover step may be unnecessary overkill. I use the Zaino products and the application directions they recommend are as **** as any I've seen. They tell you that a highly concentrated solution of Dawn dishwashing detergent and water is all you need to prep the paint.

------------------

2000 XLT Black Sport, Flareside, 2WD, Ext. Cab, 5.4L Auto. Other factory options: 3.55 LS, Class III tow, 6-way Captains chairs w/CD changer, Remote entry , and Slider window.
Mods: Undercoat, window tint, headlight & tail light covers, removed "Sport" decals, upgraded Triton tailgate emblem, Linex spray-in bedliner, and an ARE LSII lid.
Wish list: Flowmaster duals, K&N FIPK or Velocity Tube, and a Belltech 3/4 drop.
Check it out at: http://home.columbus.rr.com/selva1/f150.html

[This message has been edited by selva1 (edited 02-24-2000).]

Quick Reply: STRIPPING OLD WAX - OPTIONS?