Paint Clay

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2000, 08:41 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool Paint Clay

Very Important!!! Ford, GM & Chrysler have TSB's out on paint clay. Apparantly it removes the exposed contaminants but leaves the residual below the paint surface causing the development of oxidation/paint destruction from underneath. They id a company with 2 chemical products and phone numbers to remove the contaminants without damaging the paint.

The TSB is old (from 1997) but the complete information is found in the Ford factory service manual....the one for my wife's 1997 cougar sport is located on page 01-00-11. The company to contact re: chemical cleaners is Finish Care Inc. at 818-443-8983. Complete step by ste procedures are outlined in the manual and TSB for organic, corrosive, and particulate paint damage/repair/maintenance.

According to the TSB, paint clay removes (like we all know) a small amount of clearcoat and removal of more than 0.03 mil will weaken the multi layer paint structure leading to non-warranty paint destruction.

FYI...I personnally use 3M hand glaze, 3M liquid polish & 3M show car shine carnuba wax on all of my vehicles. To remove contaminents, I have used 3M adhesive remover and one time a chemical wash supplied by the above mentioned company. I have one vehicle that is painted lacquer, 1 factory laytex paint, 1 factory repaint with 2 stage urethane and my last vehicle is painted with a single stage urethane (show vehicle). I have never used any paint play on the paint of any vehicle which I own and have had no problems with restoration/maintenance of paint while living at the beach or desert areas of California. Just an FYI.
------------------
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II

[This message has been edited by beechkid (edited 01-15-2000).]

[This message has been edited by beechkid (edited 01-15-2000).]

[This message has been edited by beechkid (edited 01-18-2000).]

Old 01-14-2000, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find this very hard to believe. Could you please post the TSB numbers for this.

I have used clay many times and have not had anything but excellent results.

I could see how problems could occur if someone clayed there truck and then forgot to polish it afterwards, but who would do that?

Old 01-17-2000, 10:13 PM
Red face

I have to agree with Chris. Although I don't doubt you, I have used the clay bar with excellent results as well. I will write Meguiar's and Mother's and get their responses to this as well.

------------------
1999 F-150 4x4 SuperCab, Deep Wedgewood Blue, ORP, 4-Wheel ABS, Loaded, Flowmaster 50 series, K&N, Tint, Super-White headlights, Westin Nerf Bars, Toff Spray-On Bedliner, Pioneer DEH-P3000 and TS-A6815 speakers, ADS PQ/8 amp.

Old 01-17-2000, 10:45 PM
The first week I got my truck I clayed it and then finished it off with zanio bros. The clay really made a big difference in the way the paint shined and felt

Old 02-07-2000, 05:26 PM
I have used the clay bar on my 93 Lightning, my 97 SHO,and never had any problems with the paint.
I used it on my 99 F150 the first week I had it,since it sat in the dealers lott for 3 months.
I don't expect to have any problems with my paint, but beechkid thanks for the info

------------------
1999 F150 4x4 4.6V8 regcab/shortbed
Oxford White with Wedgewood Blue two tone, with Blue Captains chairs
Bassani Cat Back, Superchip,Modified intake with modified K&N filter.

Old 02-08-2000, 08:12 AM
Thumbs down

When i picked up my new truckit was raining , i didn't get to look at it till a few days latter when i washed it the guy at the dealser ship thaat prepped the truck drug his air hose across the hood it is scuffed up pretty bad the dealer is going to re buff the whole truck there is swirls in just about evey panel, I wont have them do it till spring , after all this snow and salt is gone, i was going to try rhye clay bar and buff the truck myself i use all 3m products also the perfectit series. have had great luck bout a new milwulki varible buffer last year and i use the foam pads they work great and never leave swirls it you finish with the gray pad looks like egg crate foam on it .
please post the info you get from mother and the others as well i would like to read it

------------------
2000 blk xlt f150 sc 4x4 orp pkg 5.4 3.55 ls tow pkg herculiner ,sony 10 disc cd-player A.R.E. cap remote start

Old 02-11-2000, 10:22 AM
I do believe that removal of the clearcoat, even in small amounts, is detrimental. I bought a new 96' F150 in June of that year. Around september I noticed that the paint had severe acid rain spotting. I took it to the dealer and they high-speed-buffed the h*ll out of it. It looked great for 2 months and then the spots came back with a vengeance. Took it back again, and they did the same thing...buff, buff, buff. They did this four times. Each time the paint degraded more and more and the spots got worse and worse. It finally started turning white (clearcoat) and the top started fading. They ended up painting it about a month ago. I have never seen paint on a 3 and a half year old vehicle degrade so quickly. I always wash it at least once a week and wax it often. I have a fiberglass camper shell that still looks great (same age as truck). The body shop did a good job on the repaint, although they could have prepped it a bit better. But for free I'm not sayin a word. Color BTW is toreador red.
Anyone else have problems??

------------------
1996 F-150 (3/96-old style)XLT, 302, 5sp. Toreador Red CC, Tow Pkg, Optional Payload Pkg, HD susp., Flowmaster 40 series, "Duals",
Raven Cap, Bumper Guards, Hood Ornament, Unity Lights, Jet Chip, K&N, B&M Shift ****, Hidden Hitch w/ Ford Motorsports Cover,...etc.

Old 02-11-2000, 01:11 PM
Talking

Custom ordered my truck. It was shipped by rail, and undercoated before I took delivery. The day I took it home, I clay barred it to remove any rail dust and the slight undercoating overspray. Then I followed up with Zaino. No scratches, no swirls, and I'm talking black paint here! That was 4 months ago and the truck still looks great. New paint or old, the only thing you need to be concerned about is finding a non-abrasive clay bar, use plenty of lubricant(no clearcoat will be removed at all), and make sure that the finish is totally free of dirt before you start.

------------------

2000 XLT Black Sport, Flareside, 2WD, Ext. Cab, 5.4L Auto. Other factory options: 3.55 LS, Class III tow, 6-way Captains chairs w/CD changer, Remote entry , and Slider window.
Mods: Undercoat, window tint, headlight & tail light covers, removed "Sport" decals, upgraded Triton tailgate emblem, Linex spray-in bedliner, and an ARE LSII lid.
Wish list: Flowmaster duals, K&N FIPK or Velocity Tube, and a Belltech 3/4 drop.
Check it out at: http://home.columbus.rr.com/selva1/f150.html

[This message has been edited by selva1 (edited 02-11-2000).]

Old 02-11-2000, 04:41 PM
My Ford dealer's make ready shop guys use clay bars all the time!

Old 02-12-2000, 12:34 AM
Steveg, you say you're going to use a clay bar and also 3 M restorer?
I would use the 3M, those swirls you have on your hood, 3 M products will do the job.
Also, someone bought a new truck and clay barred it?? was it sitting in a lot for months??
You have to watch when clay barring, I'll bet those of you that wrote the product manufactures(clay bar) That they are going to tell you that clay bar will not hurt your finish.....Good Luck...What do you think they would say??
Another good product is Malco, they make different products for novice, and pro, alot of car dealers and paint shops use their product, try "Flash" liquid carnuba (sp) and naptha. Check out your car dealer, they use it on all there trade ins.

------------------
fordyfour

2000 4X2 Oxford White/Harvest Gold Flareside Lariat S/C
5.4L,3.55 Ls
Tow Package
True duals(Dynomax Turbos), K&N Filter, with a 71¢,3" PVC fresh air tube
Super White Headlamps
JL 10" Wo sub (enclosed)
ALL amps and speakers Kenwood

Old 02-16-2000, 08:47 PM
what zaino products did you use?

------------------
  • 1999 Ford F-150 Flareside ORP
  • 4.6Liter
  • Custom Things Include Lund Moon Visor, Lund Interceptor Bug Guard, Manik Grille Guard, Deflecta-Shield Rain Guards, Delecta-Shield Tail Light Covers, Under Car Lights, Tinted Windows, and Pioneer Head Unit. All things are painted to match truck.

Old 02-16-2000, 09:10 PM
I use Mother's clay bar & Maguires Gold class wax and I've had excellent results on my '98. If you use the clay bar properly (i.e. lightly) and use lots of lubricant, it shouldn't do any harm.

My $.02

------------------
Kelly

for more info on my truck, just click the link below and browse around.
http://members.home.net/fordf150

Old 02-16-2000, 09:50 PM
Talking

Steveo:
I used the Zaino polish lok first(required primer) and top coated with 3 coats of Z-2.

Old 03-01-2000, 08:22 PM
Hi

I just used the Zaino Z18 clay bar on my 2000 Mustang GT convertible. I could notice no abnormal side effects. The car looks and feels great after the clay. The drivers side door was rough to the tough when I got the car. After the clay bar it was smooth as glass. Using clay might remove a small amount of clear coat, but I can't see how it could damage a finish unless it was used "dry" or used carelessly. No matter how much a company tells people how to use their product, some people will always screw it up and wreck something. I have seen clay bars used by the dealer body shops so using clay can't be all that bad. I think the TSB's were paranoia on the part of the big 3.

Quick Reply: Paint Clay