Buffing Rings on paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2000, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Buffing Rings on paint

I bought my Expy (used) Have started to see swirls left from the buffing wheel. Is their anyway to get rid of these. I only wax by hand. So the previous owner must have used the electric buff o' matic. It is very painful to look at these swirls in the paint.

------------------
'97 Expy 4.6, 2wd XLT, K&N Airaid, Rancho 5000, Superchip

Old 03-08-2000, 11:13 PM
Hey BluOvalOK,
That's one reason why i don't use a buffer!
I would suggest using Zaino Z-5 made for removing scratches and swirl marks. If there's alot of them it may take a few applications, but they'll come out. Usually the process is first Zaino Z-1 (Polish-Lok.... prep for Z-5) followed by Z-5 (Scratch and Swirl) remover. If the swirl marks aren't deep, this will do the trick! It's worked great for me in the past. In "my" opinion, Zaino has a great line of products and they've never let me down! There are of course several other good brands (Megiuers, Mothers and 3M etc.)
This is one of many ways, to get your swirl marks out and I'm sure some other members will be in here to give you other solutions. So go with what product or technique you like. In my past experiences here on F-150 Online, you can gain alot of knowledge from members. One good rule of thumb I go by is, if they take the time to post and help you out. More times than not, they know what they're talking about.
If your interested in the "Zaino" products, you can link on and this will take you there www.zainobros.com
Good Luck and welcome aboard!

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat 4x2 Supercab, Styleside,SB,Amazon Green/Clearcoat Metallic,5.4 Liter V8, Class III Tow-Package,3.55 Limited Slip Rear,Bug Deflector, Duraliner Bedliner,Superchip,K&N Filter, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve.

[This message has been edited by Lariat Ryder (edited 03-08-2000).]

Old 03-09-2000, 10:23 AM
BluOvalOK.
The Zaino #5 should work. The downside of that is the expense of the other products you have to buy and the 3 or 4 hrs you have to wait to see if it really worked. The upside is you end up with an unbelievable finish.
Another alternative is Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #9 Swirl Remover. It's about $9 a bottle and can be applied by hand or with a Dual-Action polisher, you'll know instantly if the swirls came out, then follow it with your favorite wax.

------------------
1999 Lariat Super Cab, S.B. 5.4L, 3.55 LS
and everything but the leaky slider window.
Bright red w/ gold 2-tone, Leather Captain's Chairs
Mods: Duraliner bedliner, Bugflector II, Hide-a-hooks.
& a leeetle chrome tip on the exhaust.

Old 03-09-2000, 08:06 PM
IndyFan, the only other product you would have to buy is Z1. Also if Z5 is applied correctly is will be dry in about an hour. That one hour drying time does depend on temp. and humidity

If the Z5 doesn't fill in the swirls, then I would recommend using some 3M foam pad polish to remove the swirls. I never did have good results using the meguirs products.

Old 03-09-2000, 09:08 PM
Thanks Lariat Ryder and Indyfan for the replies- went to the local autoparts store and sad to say they dont carry Zaino products, so I came home with Megiures cleaner and polish for swirls. Will put it on this weekend (11 mar 00). Thanks for everything- greatly appreciated.

Old 03-09-2000, 10:14 PM
Arrow

Hey, after you use the meguiars this weekend and your not happy with it after a couple of weeks. Contact Tony Barker, he is the zaino distributor for Oklahoma. Here is his email kantexok@aol.com.

You'll be happy with Zaino.

Good Luck

Old 03-11-2000, 01:16 PM
Chris. You neglected to mention that if you really want it to shine you'll need the #2, and of course you can't do without the car wash, Gloss Enhancer and new towels. Also, he's in Oklahoma and it's winter, it won't be dry in an hour ... or 3 hours for that matter. So, $60 and a week later he'll have a great finish.
Or he can use the Meguiar's products and be done in a couple of hours.
It's a matter of preference of course, I use Zaino on my truck, 'cause I have the time to let it dry overnight. However, on my customer's cars I use all Meguiar's Mirror Glaze products and they look great.

------------------

Old 03-11-2000, 07:37 PM
IndyFan, I will agree with you that it is a matter of preference.

I neglected to mention that you need Z2 or Z5 along with Z1 in a previous post. My bad.

Just for reference, I'm in Louisiana and I applied Z1 and Z5 in 65-degree weather, I buffed it off about an hour and half later. It can be done on cool weather, but you are correct it will take longer in cooler climates.

I was a meguiars user until I tried Zaino. With meguiars I would spend all day waxing my black truck only to be disappointed with swirls. Then a week or two later the wax would be gone, especially in the summer.

As long as Bluovalok is happy with his finish, then it doesn't matter if he is using turtle wax, meguiars or Zaino.

Old 03-11-2000, 09:56 PM
Thanks for all the info Indyfan and Chris. Just thought I would give magiures a chance since thats what our local autoparts guy sells & I was sick of seeing those swirls. I did put it on today (11 MAR) and can tell a difference. On the Magiures bottle it says may need to use a few time before all swirls are gone. So Ill keep using for now, hey I didnt mean to start any feuds about products. I agree with the personal preference, and I would NEVER use Turtle Wax, even on the wifes company car (2k LHS). Hey the weather here in Oklahoma isnt too bad it was 68 and sunny today. Not much of a winter this year. Thanks again for all the help. I will still keep Tony Barkers name and email. I could probably make him some good sales at work!

------------------
'97 Expy 4.6, 2wd XLT, K&N Airaid, Rancho 5000, Superchip

Old 03-13-2000, 10:59 AM
Smile

No feudin' here Bluovalok, if I had a black truck like Chris' I'd be bowing to the Zaino brothers too!

Chris, you seem to have the names of several local Zaino distributors around the country, anyone in Southern California?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Indyfan (edited 03-13-2000).]

Old 03-13-2000, 01:44 PM
IndyFan, sorry I didn't know of anyone off hand. I did call Sal Zaino for you and ask but he needed to know what part of Southern Cal. your in.

If you like you can an contact Sal at Sal@Zainobros.com or call 732-785-2951. Sal is a nice guy. He can answer any questions you might have as well.

Hope this helps.

Oh, I the Louisiana distributor as well.

Chris

Quick Reply: Buffing Rings on paint