Tire dressing...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010 | 09:12 AM
|
Question Tire dressing...

Hey guys...I'm brand new to the forums and I've got a question about what tire dressings you guys use. My father worked in the car business for 25 years and I've always been able to get my detailing products through him, but he passed away a couple years ago. I just ran out of a "Black Magic" tire dressing that I got from him that was great stuff. If I let the stuff sit on the tire overnight I wouldn't get any product flipping up on the side of my truck. I've tried a couple different products, but no matter how long I let them dry, I still get product flipped all up the side of my truck. Thanks for the help...

Old 06-02-2010 | 10:42 AM
Old 06-02-2010 | 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by 10GAUGE19
Hey guys...I'm brand new to the forums and I've got a question about what tire dressings you guys use. My father worked in the car business for 25 years and I've always been able to get my detailing products through him, but he passed away a couple years ago. I just ran out of a "Black Magic" tire dressing that I got from him that was great stuff. If I let the stuff sit on the tire overnight I wouldn't get any product flipping up on the side of my truck. I've tried a couple different products, but no matter how long I let them dry, I still get product flipped all up the side of my truck. Thanks for the help...

I will give you an answer. You can get most tire products at big box resellers. Or if you want better products, may I suggest getting a gallon of Megs Hyperdressing. This way you will have something to spray the wells with also, remember your whip isn't really clean if you don't dress the wells.

Hyperdressing is good but so is PB Bold and Bright and or Optimum Tire Bond

Best of Luck and if you have any more questions just ask!

RollingRock

Last edited by RollingRock; 06-02-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-05-2010 | 01:11 PM
Hyperdressing.....yuk....

Originally Posted by RollingRock
I will give you an answer. You can get most tire products at big box resellers. Or if you want better products, may I suggest getting a gallon of Megs Hyperdressing. This way you will have something to spray the wells with also, remember your whip isn't really clean if you don't dress the wells.

Hyperdressing is good but so is PB Bold and Bright and or Optimum Tire Bond

Best of Luck and if you have any more questions just ask!

RollingRock
Hyperdressing isn't a very good tire dressing at all. Save it for motor bay detailing only - there's much better products for everything else. Yea it looks good and more 'natural' than most of the horrendous OTC tire specific dressings out there (and most are) but it will still sling even after drying over night (I guess the morning dew softens it up???) It also doesn't last very long - especially one drive in the rain and it's toast. But the sling problem is my biggest pet peeve with it. I personally wont ever be buying Hyperdressing again as I'm not buying gallons of it just for motor bay detailing when there's OTC products that's readily available that will work just as good. If you want something that looks even better than Hyperdressing, lasts MUCH longer, and you can drive right away with no sling problem, Turtle Wax F21 Super Protectant in the spray bottle is superior to Hyperdressing in every which way (yea I admit I'm biased against Turtle Wax products because of the name just like an audiophile shreeks when you mention the name 'Bose' - but this particular Turtle Wax Product is a A++ Winner).

Don't bother with Turtle Waxes "tire specific" tire dressings because they all suck too. Get the F21 Super Protecant - use it for wheel wells and everything. Love it on my soft bed cover. Beads water like wax and everything. A++ product and superior to Hyperdressing which is WAY overhyped on this forum IMO, and I personally use mostly Meguiars products, heh. Meguiars does have some stinkers like their Microfibers and drying cloths which are barely mid grade at best compared to other stuff I've used. Love their Ultimate Quik Wax/Detailer though and use those religiously.

Spray F21 onto one of those cheap synthetic dish sponges and apply.

Old 06-05-2010 | 01:41 PM
glc
Have you tried the new Megs Ultimate Protectant? I haven't used it on tires yet, but it did a fantastic job on my soft tonneau.

Old 06-05-2010 | 04:25 PM
I'm really fond of Mother's Reflections Tire Care. Provides excellent natural tire sheen like new, doesn't sling and lasts about 3 weeks. Can be bought at most auto stores. I love hyperdressing, but really only use it engine bays, wheel wells and undercarriage.

Meg's Ultimate Protectant is awesome for trim and all the other plastic around the truck. However, don't put it on too thick otherwise it will run in the rain and will slightly streak. A little goes a long way. This can also be picked up at several auto stores.

Old 06-05-2010 | 11:45 PM
glc
It didn't run on the tonneau, but it does run on the hard plastic (bed rails, door handles, etc.).

Old 06-07-2010 | 02:39 AM
Sling is caused by applying too much product. Will happen with anything. Water-based dressings dissolve in rain, for obvious reasons. That being said, I've been using Hyper Dressing all over the car and have been nothing but pleased with it. Plus, being water-based, it cleans off very easily too when you wash the vehicle.

Old 06-08-2010 | 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by roushstage2
Sling is caused by applying too much product. Will happen with anything. Water-based dressings dissolve in rain, for obvious reasons. That being said, I've been using Hyper Dressing all over the car and have been nothing but pleased with it. Plus, being water-based, it cleans off very easily too when you wash the vehicle.
Does this look like Hyperdressing was applied too much?

It was applied with a sponge and not sprayed on. I don't think I could put it on any thinner without it looking like I didn't put anything on.... Still slung the next morning and still say Hyperdressing although looks good and much more natural than most of the tire specific crap out there, the slinging and durability leaves A LOT to be desired. Try the Turtle Wax stuff I mentioned above and I bet you'll never return to Hyperdressing for tires... Looks better, lasts longer (so it would be better for wheel wells too), and you can drive right away without any sling....

Old 06-09-2010 | 03:43 AM
It is hard to say simply by looking at pictures, but I'd lean towards no. The killer on those tires are all of those little grooves on the sidewall. Hundreds of little pockets for dressing to pool up in, and sling out later. My current tires on my DD have those too, and reducing sling because of the above can be a bit of a challenge. It doesn't matter much to me; I've never had much of a problem with sling from any dressing, except mainly when I've applied it a bit too heavy and drove off right after, or have all of those little grooves to trap little pools of dressing in. Plus, HD diluted down makes 4 gallons (512oz.) for $40. At $5 bottle for what, 16oz.-20oz. of product, isn't worth it for me personally to solve a problem I don't really have. Worst case, I spend about 5 minutes with some QD after a quick drive. What looks best to one person, looks worse to someone else. Longevity...too many factors just like wax.

Old 06-09-2010 | 10:02 AM
Smile

Well.... My personal theory with Hyperdressing and my slinging problem with it is that morning dew/dampness softens it up because even after I apply it carefully with a sponge I would take another dry/clean sponge and try to make sure any excess is soaked up. The slinging isn't super bad, but there's a lot of noticeable specs all over from it and when you have paint this shiny...

...you can see everything on it! A bunch of tiny sling specs from the tires really stands out. The nice thing with the F21 Super Protectant is that I can apply it heavier than I ever applied Hyperdressing and can drive pretty much right away and not even the slightest hint of sling, ever. Doesn't attract dust, repels and beads water, and lasts through rain and a wash where Hyperdressing is toast after a drive through the rain, heh. Plus it even looks better (and I'm a stickler with tire dressing as most look extremely unnatural or have some other wired thing about it - I'll admit Hyperdressing looks more natural than most and not too over the top - no complaints with the look of it.)

Ok, I think I'm done ranting about it, I'll let people try it out for themselves and make up their own mind. Hell, when people come up to me and ask me what I use on my rims to make them so bright or what wax I use I kinda don't even like letting my info out to people, lol. It took me a lot of years to narrow down with trial and error and find the best products that are easily available to get at most any store and get the best results in the easiest way possible....plus I like that almost no vehicle around looks as good as mine after a detail to where people are asking me a bunch of questions on what I use and how I use it, lol. I just tell them to keep it clean and maintain it anymore. They can go through the trial and error and labor just like I did for all I care, lol.

Old 06-09-2010 | 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by emig5m
Hell, when people come up to me and ask me what I use on my rims to make them so bright or what wax I use I kinda don't even like letting my info out to people, lol. It took me a lot of years to narrow down with trial and error and find the best products that are easily available to get at most any store and get the best results in the easiest way possible....plus I like that almost no vehicle around looks as good as mine after a detail to where people are asking me a bunch of questions on what I use and how I use it, lol. I just tell them to keep it clean and maintain it anymore. They can go through the trial and error and labor just like I did for all I care, lol.
I agree - but what I quickly found to get the excellent results you have found, not all products will work. Just like your products will not work on most other cars. I have different waxes/sealants for DD's/non-DD's, light/dark paints, soft/hard paint and year class of car. Problem with having a reputation of a clean truck - is now having to maintain that shine. I will likely get burned out on the constant upkeep.

Also, preparation and application of said products is more important than said product itself. Nice looking truck by the way and tires look great.

Old 06-09-2010 | 02:32 PM
Well.... My personal theory with Hyperdressing and my slinging problem with it is that morning dew/dampness softens it up because even after I apply it carefully with a sponge I would take another dry/clean sponge and try to make sure any excess is soaked up. The slinging isn't super bad, but there's a lot of noticeable specs all over from it and when you have paint this shiny...

...you can see everything on it! A bunch of tiny sling specs from the tires really stands out. The nice thing with the F21 Super Protectant is that I can apply it heavier than I ever applied Hyperdressing and can drive pretty much right away and not even the slightest hint of sling, ever. Doesn't attract dust, repels and beads water, and lasts through rain and a wash where Hyperdressing is toast after a drive through the rain, heh. Plus it even looks better (and I'm a stickler with tire dressing as most look extremely unnatural or have some other wired thing about it - I'll admit Hyperdressing looks more natural than most and not too over the top - no complaints with the look of it.)

Ok, I think I'm done ranting about it, I'll let people try it out for themselves and make up their own mind. Hell, when people come up to me and ask me what I use on my rims to make them so bright or what wax I use I kinda don't even like letting my info out to people, lol. It took me a lot of years to narrow down with trial and error and find the best products that are easily available to get at most any store and get the best results in the easiest way possible....plus I like that almost no vehicle around looks as good as mine after a detail to where people are asking me a bunch of questions on what I use and how I use it, lol. I just tell them to keep it clean and maintain it anymore. They can go through the trial and error and labor just like I did for all I care, lol.
I'm still a fan of M38, which was discontinued a couple of years ago. I also like Black Magic Platinum Matte Tire Dressing. I have several others, but economically, HD is good for me, and others with minimal problems. Every tire is different though. What might be just the right amount of dressing for some tires, is too much for others. It kind of goes to what was said by Stormsearch. Besides, like you said, it's Turtle Wax, hehe!

Old 06-09-2010 | 06:15 PM

What do you use to keep your rims looking so good if you don't mind me asking? I did purchase the Turtle Wax F21 protectant based on your experience and applied yesterday and have withstood 2 thunderstorms and over 100 miles of driving so far and they look like I just put this stuff on. Welcome to summertime in South Florida! You have a sweet ride!

Old 06-09-2010 | 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler
What do you use to keep your rims looking so good if you don't mind me asking?
Stuff.

lol.... Well... Since they're painted and clear coated rims you can basically use whatever works good for you on the rest of your vehicles painted bodywork. Meguiars Scratch-X really cleans and brightens them up and removes most scratches then just use whatever LSP you normally would use on the rest of your paint. Currently I'm using Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax but have used EagleOne Wax As U Dry, Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer, NXT2.0, etc... All look good but I think I like Ultimate Quik wax the best overall for ease of use, look, and durability.

Not only do they look good, but when they're polished and waxed brake dust doesn't want to stick and they wash and clean up so much easier.....

Quick Reply: Tire dressing...