What to do about chipped paint

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2000, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought some Ford touch up paint and it matches perectly and is a stong enamel. My
neighbors dog jumped on the side of my Y2k
and put 8 18" scrathes down my passenger
side door. so this stuff works good. about 8 bucks a bottle.

Old 06-08-2000, 12:15 AM
Question What to do about chipped paint

The other day I was driving down the freeway when some vehicle ahead of me kicked up a small pebble which came down on top of my cab. Made a fairly loud noise and scared the heck out of me. When I got home I looked on top to see a small paint chip where it hit. Now my question is, what is the best course of action here. I don't care so much about getting it fixed, after all it's on top of the cab, plus it is small. But I don't want rust to form on the exposed metal, nor do I want this to be the starting point for the paint around it to peel off. Any one got some good advise?

------------------
1999 Lariat SuperCab Flareside, Amazon Green with Silver trim, 5.4L, 4x2, 4 wheel disc/ABS, 3.55 limited slip, towing package, fog lamps, sliding rear window, captains chairs, keyless entry with alarm, spray-on bed liner, bug guard, and K&N. http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~bfriesen/truck.html

Old 06-16-2000, 03:07 AM
Try taking it to the dealer it just might be covered under warranty. I had a chip on the roof,and they are going to repain it. Check it out. What can you loose.

[This message has been edited by F150grl (edited 06-16-2000).]

Old 06-16-2000, 01:35 PM
Lightbulb

The touch-up will not last as long as the factory paint, so check it periodically to add more touch up paint. This will keep it sealed from the elements, and prevent rust.

------------------
2000 F-150 XL,RC,LB,5.4,4R70W,3.55LS,
4-wheel disc/ABS,Chestnut/Parchment,
Ford bedliner & gas/wheel/spare locks,
3" cold air box modification,Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back.

Old 06-17-2000, 12:23 AM
To be honest, I would have a hard time asking a dealer to fix that under warrantee. Even if they would, I couldn't justify it to myself. After all there was nothing wrong with the manufacturing. However, I did pickup a little bottle of the touch-up paint ($7) and touched up the spot. To be honest, the paint color matched exactly. The only way I can see anything happened was because the paint isn't perfectly smooth there, there's a little bump. But if I really wanted, some super-fine sandpaper would take care of that. But since it's on top of the cab, I don't care.

Quick Reply: What to do about chipped paint