'99 F150.. paint neglected.. help!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 07:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 F150.. paint neglected.. help!?!

Hello all..

I have a '99 F150 XLT 5.4 4X4 in Red.. it is not my daily driver.. more like my winter driver and stuff hauler. Needless to say, the paint is a little, well, beat.. I admit that I have neglected it over the few years I've owned it, trying to see if theres anything I can do to help make it shine a little bit.

I don't have pictures (yet..) but basically the paint looks very faded, almost pink(??) in some areas. I washed it well, and tried to polish a small area. The pad turned red.. something is missing (could be the clearcoat?!) I stopped polishing it, scared I was making it worse.

Any advice?

Old 07-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveStLoo
Hello all..

I have a '99 F150 XLT 5.4 4X4 in Red.. it is not my daily driver.. more like my winter driver and stuff hauler. Needless to say, the paint is a little, well, beat.. I admit that I have neglected it over the few years I've owned it, trying to see if theres anything I can do to help make it shine a little bit.

I don't have pictures (yet..) but basically the paint looks very faded, almost pink(??) in some areas. I washed it well, and tried to polish a small area. The pad turned red.. something is missing (could be the clearcoat?!) I stopped polishing it, scared I was making it worse.

Any advice?
What did the area look like that you polished other than the red on your pad? Oxidation is what you are seeing on your pad. Your going to have to go with a complete detail to get it backing looking decent. Meaning Claybar,DA Polisher, Megs 105 and 205 and a good wax.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It definitely improved it's shine... had a bit more luster.. but the polish was harder to get off (could be a result of not claying it first..)

I can definitely try that first.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:03 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
If the pad turned red, the clearcoat is gone.

Quick Reply: '99 F150.. paint neglected.. help!?!