Meguiar's car care products

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 02:09 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
Applying what? NXT?

I use the foam applicator that comes with it - I only put a dab on the applicator and rub it in gently with a circular motion, making sure it gets spread out real thin. When I use the UQW, I lightly mist it onto the surface and use a MF towel just like I would use QD.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Applying what? NXT?

I use the foam applicator that comes with it - I only put a dab on the applicator and rub it in gently with a circular motion, making sure it gets spread out real thin. When I use the UQW, I lightly mist it onto the surface and use a MF towel just like I would use QD.
I'm a pro with NXT, lol. I was talking about the UQW but you answered my question. So just spray it on and wipe it off? no sitting

Old 08-06-2010, 07:36 PM
glc
Correct - use it just like you would UQD. Takes me about 15 minutes to do the whole truck while drinking a beer. You only need a light misting.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm not knocking Meguiar's products but I have used Turtle Wax for years with great success. I sold my 97 F-150 last winter with the original paint and it was still very shiny with no rust. It was always parked outside too. I used Turtle Wax Platinum once a year and I always received positive comments on how it looked. I'm not sure what it would take to make me switch now.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by buffalo1973
I'm not sure what it would take to make me switch now.
NXT 2.O and maybe a little polish. But BIG Maybe. Used 1 Time

Old 08-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by buffalo1973
I'm not knocking Meguiar's products but I have used Turtle Wax for years with great success. I sold my 97 F-150 last winter with the original paint and it was still very shiny with no rust. It was always parked outside too. I used Turtle Wax Platinum once a year and I always received positive comments on how it looked. I'm not sure what it would take to make me switch now.
First off, if you are happy with the results, that is the most important thing. That said, there are literally hundreds of products that are better than turtle wax.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:14 PM
glc
Turtle Wax is a product for the average Joe that doesn't know any better. That's the same person that uses the bubble brush at the quarter wash and dries the vehicle with blue shop towels.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Just bought some Meguiars Deep Crystal wax. My truck came out pretty good, given I wax it a couple times a month. How do you guys like the deep crystal wax?

Old 08-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by Svets96
Just bought some Meguiars Deep Crystal wax. My truck came out pretty good, given I wax it a couple times a month. How do you guys like the deep crystal wax?
I liked it pretty good. It's a good, carnuba wax but it does not last very long in the heat. The Meguiars 3 step system works very well... but NXT 2.0 is easier to use and last much longer. For looks and ease of application there are a few spray carnuba/synthetic waxes better but they will cost a bit more.

If you like to wax frequently Deep Chrystal is a good choice.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Thats good to know. Thank you.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:10 AM
It's all about personal preference. I'm a huge Meg's fanboy. But even given that fact, there are several meg's products that I don't like at all. Even a couple that people around here absolutely love (cough nxt cough). The only way is to experiment yourself and create your own opinion.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Jolly_Green_Giant
It's all about personal preference. I'm a huge Meg's fanboy. But even given that fact, there are several meg's products that I don't like at all. Even a couple that people around here absolutely love (cough nxt cough). The only way is to experiment yourself and create your own opinion.
Very good points!
I used to be a Wax Shop fanboy long ago...but,
Yes I confess to being an NXT *****. For me it's a good starting point and I mostly use it as a sealer basecoat for many other things...and like you there are many Megs products I dont like at all either or I have found other products I prefer better.
I really like the way 2 coats make a freshly polished vehicle gleam.
Finding the best, easy to use products for my black paint and my climate was challenging. Many products dont play well together and in different climates but...
If not for reading knowledge and actual experimenting I wouldn't know nothing first hand.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Liquid Glass is good stuff.

With wax, you wax it three times, you have one coat on it same as if you waxed it once.

With Liquid Glass, you do it once, you let cure, you do it a second time, now you have a double coat on it. In otherwords, you can build it up.

If you want to wax and polish out fine scratches, etc, use the other stuff regularly. You can do that with LG but it ain't cheap.

If you want something that you can apply a couple times this year and still have it there next year with minimal maintenance, LG is good.

They do make a special cleaner to remove it for paint polishing or repair.

Last edited by tbear853; 08-25-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:53 PM
NXT is my favorite right now

Old 08-25-2010, 06:12 PM
esf
Originally Posted by tbear853
Liquid Glass is good stuff.

With wax, you wax it three times, you have one coat on it same as if you waxed it once.

With Liquid Glass, you do it once, you let cure, you do it a second time, now you have a double coat on it. In otherwords, you can build it up.

If you want to wax and polish out fine scratches, etc, use the other stuff regularly. You can do that with LG but it ain't cheap.

If you want something that you can apply a couple times this year and still have it there next year with minimal maintenance, LG is good.

They do make a special cleaner to remove it for paint polishing or repair.

I'm guessing you're a little more old school than most. A lot of the guys that use Liquid Glass do so because they used it YEARS ago and were happy with it. Over the years though their formula has changed, it had to, to meet VOC regulations. It's not what it used to be. I just had this conversation with Steve (owner of Poorboy's). I was a third party to the conversation he was having with a customer. Products have been taken off of the market in the past because of VOC regulations. Adam's In & Out Spray is one but it has since been reformulated and re-released.

Quick Reply: Meguiar's car care products