Meguiar's car care products

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 09:35 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
VOC regulations are why you have to get M16 from Canada now.

NXT haters probably have black or very dark vehicles and don't like the "saran wrap" appearance. 2.0 is a lot better than the original in that respect. NXT is excellent from a protection and longevity standpoint, if you want extra "pop" after using it, then top it with a pure carnauba. My Arizona Beige looks fine with just NXT 2.0.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by esf
I'm guessing you're a little more old school than most. A lot of the guys that use Liquid Glass do so because they used it YEARS ago and were happy with it. Over the years though their formula has changed, it had to, to meet VOC regulations. It's not what it used to be. I just had this conversation with Steve (owner of Poorboy's). I was a third party to the conversation he was having with a customer. Products have been taken off of the market in the past because of VOC regulations. Adam's In & Out Spray is one but it has since been reformulated and re-released.
Oh, I don't know about any changes in formula, I've still got 7 unopened cans and a partial on the shelf, just hadn't used it in years as I tried other stuffs. Pep Boys used to give a 20% discount to us when we were at training. Last cans I bought was probably 1994 or 95 when I was still using it pretty much to the exclusion of others. I'm sure it's still good.

I've put two coats with a cure between on a police car in fall and seen it go through winter as a police car would and still be beading water in summer. Sure, it picked up a few scuffs, usually hood and trunk, some forehead sweat, etc ... but it beaded water still.

Once had a buddy retire and I wanted his red unmarked Caprice and they let me swap with him, he turned my car in instead. He was a fanatic about LG, he was who started me on it. I don't know how often he did the car with LG but I was determined to wait until it stopped beading to do it ... and two years later I still hadn't done it again and it had the miles so I turned it in. Paint looked great, good shine still, still beading water.

I suspect he did it a few times while he had it.

I'll pay attention to the label next time I see a can on a shelf .... wasn't aware it changed. Looking at webpage, can appears same. Retail $26.95? OUCH .... last I bought was like $16 (minus my discount).

http://www.shopmpt.com/liquidglass/lgpolish.html

I'm going to research it some .... will get back.

Last edited by tbear853; 08-25-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow there are alot of LG users on here. I might end up getting NXT for next time. I do know that I am going to purchase a clay bar kit probably tommorow, gotta detail a customers truck. Alot of good responses in this thread.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:17 PM
I am curious as to the clay bar whether it is really worth the time? Is it all that and more to spend the extra $ ?

Old 08-26-2010, 11:28 PM
glc
I will not wax a vehicle without claying it first. Period.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:36 PM
Anything special to it? or is a clay-on, clay-off deal? Then wax-on, wax-off

Always wondered. Never investigated

Old 08-27-2010, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by Red02FX4
I am curious as to the clay bar whether it is really worth the time? Is it all that and more to spend the extra $ ?
in one word YES. i just clayed my "07 for the first time. do the plastic baggy test one your truck and you will see what a difference it makes.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm gonna get a clay kit while I am out today. I have off first of next week and will have time to give it a whirl.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:01 PM
glc
The detailing sticky has the proper procedure for using clay. It's not "on-off" per se.

Quick Reply: Meguiar's car care products