Meguiar's car care products

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Meguiar's car care products

What do you all think of Meguiar's car car products? Is it good stuff, or along the lines of Turtle Wax? (Not knocking Turtle Wax, just used it as an example since it is the most common name in waxes & been around for eons.)

I personally like it. I have been using the Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner for years on my bike, & just started using it on my new to me truck. So after having good results with the Gold Class I went to AutoZone to find some wax & interior cleaner & figured I'd stick with Mcquiar's products. I bought the Cleaner Wax for the first time I waxed my truck, & also NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 Paste for the following time. For the interior I picked up Mcquiar's NATURAL SHINE VINYL & RUBBER PROTECTANT.

I live on a gravel road, so washing & waxing will not be as frequent as say living in town with paved roads. How often do you wax your trucks? Can you wax your truck too much? I ask only cause it has been a long time since I waxed a vehicle, cause they were just not that nice, & wanted to know if things may have changed in the last 10 or so yrs as far as polishing goes.

Also, unrelated to Mcquiar's, has anybody ever used Liquid Glass?

Old 07-22-2010, 09:51 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
I think Meguiar's products make Turtle Wax look like crap.

I use NXT 2.0 liquid once a year, and after every wash job, I hit it with Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax to boost the protection.

Liquid Glass isn't bad, but I don't think it's any better than NXT.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Meguiars makes several different "lines" of products; the ones you are using are the "Consumer" line, and are available pretty much everywhere over the counter. They work well for the average slob who wants to put a shine on things, but won't do much for paint correction to remove swirl marks, etc. New to the consumer line is "Ultimate Compound," and "Swirl X," both of which are pretty good for an OTC product.

However, you won't do much paint correction by hand; you really need a dual action buffer ($150). They are almost idiot proof and work well. Waxing does not remove any of the clear coat (excluding "Cleaner Wax), so wax away. Even paint correction compounds, used correctly with a buffer, won't wear off your paint to any great degree. Use only microfiber towels to work on the paint...no turkish towels, diapers, T-Shirts, etc.

Megs Professional line is much better, but you won't find it often OTC; you'll have to order from a detailing web site or Amazon, etc. #105 and #205 are awesome for paint corrrection. I used to use NXT 2.0 for a LSP, but have since moved on to Danase Wet Glaze and Black Fire Wet Diamond (just awesome wet look and shine). Of course, all this is predeeded by a good clay bar treatment.

My current detailing regimen (assuming paint correction is needed):

Wash
Clay bar
Megs #105
Megs #205
Megs #7 Show Car Glaze
BF Wet Diamond
Danase Wet Glaze

Jim

Last edited by jaymz; 07-23-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Can't go wrong with Meguiar's.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Meguiars is great stuff Been using it for years. Like somebody said there is a consumer line and a professional line, I use both even talked with Barry himself a few years ago and he gave me some #34 final inspection to try free, been a fan ever since. Most of my vehicles are black so i always make sure to use the two bucket method when washing with grit guards in each of them. Micro fibers are cheap if you buy them in bulk like at sams club.

Meguiars videos
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=37320

also check out their forums lots of knowledgeable people on there that make living out of detailing cars and trucks.
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/index.php

Finally if you are still following links here is a good one for detailing
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=29505

the cheap way I put soap on foams up real nice
http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...W434997110001P

Last edited by 48prerunner; 07-23-2010 at 02:45 PM. Reason: ad link
Old 07-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Guess I am just an "average slob" that wants a shine on his daily driver, driven in all types of weather, with scratches & flaws truck. If I had a show vehicle it'd be a different story, but I don't so the consumer products will suffice for me.

Micro-fiber towels is what I use to dry & wax my truck already, so it is nice to see I have that right too.

Thanks for all the advice & links. Will have to try the Ultimate Quik Wax glc suggested for post washing.

Think I will have to try & find one of those Ortho sprayers at work (most likely with 1/2" of dust on them) hidden in a dark corner of the plant. Just so happens that is who I work for 48prerunner, a subsidiary of Ortho anyway.

Last edited by hk45shooter; 07-23-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:46 PM
the consumer line products i can pick up at walmart or autozone work great for me! i just got the new yellow wash and wax from meguiars. most of the time i do a simple wash, dry, and either quick detailer or the quick wax, polish rims, and shine tires. its not worth spending a whole bunch of time thoroughly detailing my truck because its covered with dust the next day from going down the gravel road at the farm i work on. i cant stand it because i love having my truck shine! but you cant go wrong with mcguiars

Old 07-23-2010, 09:49 PM
Meguiars products are awesome. But when it comes to polish Zaino is the only way to go i.m.o. http://www.zainostore.com/

Old 07-24-2010, 01:06 AM
48prerunner, I have to ask....do you put your soap in the ortho container undiluted, and set it on a certain setting?? Never heard of anyone doing that before. Just wondering.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:07 PM
I have always wondered about doing a soap in the consumer sprayers. More info PLEASE.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:03 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
I would have to think it has to be diluted - I don't think those sprayers can suck up pure soap, it's too thick.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by jump n
48prerunner, I have to ask....do you put your soap in the ortho container undiluted, and set it on a certain setting?? Never heard of anyone doing that before. Just wondering.

Just dump it in and set the sprayer to the setting one less than the 2 (that would be 1 1/2 oz highest i go is 2oz just ran down to garage and checked) I'll have to check my setting to be sure but depends on how soapy you want it. I usually use the gold class soap but picked up the new yellow more expensive one and so far don't know if i like that one as much as the gold.

On my dads white thunderbird i use that new finish the once a year car wax, works good but thats the only non black vehicle we have.

If its a daily driver with lots of scratches try some meguiars number 7 on it should bring up the shine and hide some scratches. What color was the truck?

Also check your micro fibers often one little nasty piece of sand can do some damage. Sams club still the best place to buy them cheap same ones that the swap meet guys sell for 2 to 3 dollars each http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...756&navAction=

Last edited by 48prerunner; 07-26-2010 at 09:52 AM. Reason: looked up ortho setting
Old 07-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by MRLSU2U
Meguiars products are awesome. But when it comes to polish Zaino is the only way to go i.m.o. http://www.zainostore.com/
If you like you vehicle looking like it was wrapped in Saran wrap.

sorry .. couldn't resist.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by hk45shooter
NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0
That's what I use,body/wheels/bumper. Love it. Even in the hot sun it goes on and comes off easily. And what a difference. I wax my truck at least every 2 months.Armour-All for tires & step/bumper pads.

Just did her two days ago and she hasn't moved since:

Old 08-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by hk45shooter
What do you all think of Meguiar's car car products? Is it good stuff, or along the lines of Turtle Wax? (Not knocking Turtle Wax, just used it as an example since it is the most common name in waxes & been around for eons.)

I personally like it. I have been using the Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner for years on my bike, & just started using it on my new to me truck. So after having good results with the Gold Class I went to AutoZone to find some wax & interior cleaner & figured I'd stick with Mcquiar's products. I bought the Cleaner Wax for the first time I waxed my truck, & also NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 Paste for the following time. For the interior I picked up Mcquiar's NATURAL SHINE VINYL & RUBBER PROTECTANT.

I live on a gravel road, so washing & waxing will not be as frequent as say living in town with paved roads. How often do you wax your trucks? Can you wax your truck too much? I ask only cause it has been a long time since I waxed a vehicle, cause they were just not that nice, & wanted to know if things may have changed in the last 10 or so yrs as far as polishing goes.

Also, unrelated to Mcquiar's, has anybody ever used Liquid Glass?
I'm a Megs fan. Love there products. You should visit ADS and grab you some stuff.

Originally Posted by glc
I think Meguiar's products make Turtle Wax look like crap.

I use NXT 2.0 liquid once a year, and after every wash job, I hit it with Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax to boost the protection.

Liquid Glass isn't bad, but I don't think it's any better than NXT.
What is your method of applying this. I've heard so many different stories and I'm just wondering if I'm applying it correctly. I even watched the Mike Phillips video but just can't seem to produce the same results

Quick Reply: Meguiar's car care products