Cleaning bugshield, deflectors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2000, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cleaning bugshield, deflectors, etc.

Bone-head question:

How do you keep the bugshield and window air deflectors clean? I wax my truck, Black Magic the wheels and trim, RainX the windshield, etc., just like all the posts here tell me to, but what about the bugshield and window air deflectors? What works for acrylic?

Regular Windex? Spit and polish? The Black Magic Tire and Trim? Soapy water? Perhaps the RainX? Needless to say, I don't want to scratch or damage the things, and I don't really want to buy more chemicals for the truck.

What do folks out there use?

TIA,

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT White Supercab 4.6L V8 Auto 3.55 L/S Std Bed

Old 06-12-2000, 09:55 PM
I usually just use soap and water for normal wash... To "clean" it and rid it of those fine scratches or other blemishes that come from drying with cloth and the environment I always use The Wax Shop's "Saf-Cut." It is a light scratch, swirl remover, and plexi polish. It works great on my bugshields and smoked plexi boat windshields. Removes all those fine (and not so fine) scratches in no time. I apply it with a damp cloth diaper or soft old 100% cotton T-shirt and buff it off with a dry one. Also works great to remove any of the manufacturers painted on letters that some tend to put on the bug shields. Buff's it right off without scratching and gives you that all black, hey who makes that bugshield look.

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat S/C 4x4 ORP 5.4L Bright Red/gold

Old 06-12-2000, 10:06 PM
I used WD40 and never had problems. I do notice that most of the scratches come from the type of cloth or towel you use. WD40 also fills in the small scratches and gives it that wet look.

P.S. If you ever go on a long trip. Spray a thin coat on your bumper. You'll be amazed how easy the crud comes off the next time you wash it. I got this tip off of ShadeTree Mechanic.

[This message has been edited by Jupiterak (edited 06-12-2000).]

Old 06-13-2000, 02:39 PM
Cool

Clean with soap and water, then use Mother's plastic polish/protectant. It is specifically designed for tail light lenses and other plastic products. It polishes away micro scratches, smooths, and protects.

------------------
2000 F-150 XL,RC,LB,5.4,4R70W,3.55LS,
4-wheel disc/ABS,Chestnut/Parchment,
Ford bedliner & gas/wheel/spare locks,
3" cold air box modification,Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back.

Old 06-14-2000, 12:57 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks, ransome123 and Jupiterak. I especially like the WD40 on the bumper idea, since I make several trips to the Sierras in the summer (maybe 400 miles on a good 3-day weekend).

------------------

Old 06-14-2000, 06:21 PM
I use plain car soap and water, if the bug shield gets REALLY buggy, I use Simple Green, then I use a pure Carnuba to remove the light scratches and shine it up...

I may try claying it when I do the truck this weekend...

------------------
99 F150 XLT 4x4 SC/SB 5.4/Auto
Off-Road Pkg
Wedgewood blue/gray
Lund Interceptor
Ford Factory cab steps
Ford mud guards
Pendaliner bed liner

Old 07-05-2000, 09:31 PM
One caution about WD-40. Don't spray it on trim plastic. It might make it look good at first, but ages the plastic and dries it out way before it's time. If you have plastic on your front bumper, use Black Magic. Works on the same theory as the WD-40 but will condition the plastic and not dry it out.

Just like rain-X works great, ever notice how after you use it you go through wiper blades like water? It destroys the rubber and makes the blades chatter across your windshield when you do need them.

------------------
Boss™

Just Ordered 2001 F-150 Lariat Wht/Slvr, 4x4, SC, SB, SS, 99L 5.4L, 44E tran, 7700# payload, Class III towing, 3.73LS, Skids, Capts, 4W disc ABS, shift-on-fly, keyless

Old 07-06-2000, 02:34 AM
I've always used soap and water to clean acrylic (plexiglass). Car wash soap would be my choice.

To keep it looking clean and shiny, use Pledge wax. Just plain Pledge. Not Lemon or other varieties. Just the plain old Pledge.

I would spray it on a clean soft cloth instead of spraying it directly onto the surface. No telling what Pledge will do to your paint/wax.

I've been using Pledge on acrylic for years. I know some charter boat captains who swear by it.

[This message has been edited by Dennis (edited 07-06-2000).]

Old 07-07-2000, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the input, guys. I use Black Magic on the tires and bumper trim, and I'll probably use Pledge on the bugshield, cowl (when I get it!), vent visors, aeroshade (when I get them!), since I've already got the Pledge stuff!

(And I must update my signature!)

------------------

Old 07-11-2000, 02:14 AM
Thumbs up

Boss96Hog,
I too noticed that my wipers were grying out and deteriorating quickly after using Rain-X. Rain-X is an outstanding product, but just make sure if you use this product you "grease" your wipers (Aromor-all, Black Magic etc.).

Christopher,
I also recommend using a wax on your bug shield. Also, Lifter 1 Bug and tar remover will help you keep the scratches to a minimum because it gently removes the splatter, w/out all the scrubbing and rubbing, and then you just hose off the Bug & Tar remover after letting it sit on there for about 30 sec.

JUST TRYING TO HELP!! Giving my .02 worth

97 F-150 Lariat X-Cab 4x4, ORP, Tow pack., K&N filter, Flowmaster exhaust.

Old 07-11-2000, 10:31 AM
As far as the wiper blades are concerned, try cleaning them and the glass. The Rain-X isn't destroying them it's just building up on the blade. The next time you wash the truck use the sponge or a rag with soapy water and scrub the blades until the black stuff STOPS coming off, then they'll be clean and work a lot better.
Sometimes the solution is to use LESS stuff and not more, instead of putting RainX (or even wax) on the glass and Armor All on the wipers (one of the strangest tips I've ever read) try making sure they're both completely clean.

------------------
1999 Lariat Super Cab, S.B. 5.4L, 3.55 LS
and everything but the leaky slider window.
Bright red w/ gold 2-tone, Leather Captain's Chairs
Mods: Duraliner bedliner, Bugflector II, Hide-a-hooks.
& a leeetle chrome tip on the exhaust.

[This message has been edited by Indyfan (edited 07-11-2000).]

Old 07-11-2000, 11:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I have used Rain-X since it first came out over 10 years ago and have never had any problems with my wiper blades deteriorating. Just make sure that the blades are clean. I would not suggest Armor-All on your wiper blades. The first time you go to use them you will have streaks all over your windshield.

I will try some of the tips on my bugshield, though.

------------------
'98 F-150 XLT SuperCab Flareside, Auto, 4.6L, 4X2, 3.55 LS, 6-CD changer, Moonlight Blue with tan interior, Captains Chairs

Mods[list][*]Window tint[*]Extang Classic[*]Platinum Tonno[*]Lund Interceptor bug deflector[*]Wizard Superwhite Bulbs[*]Pendaliner bedliner[*]Expedition center console

http://www.geocities.com/scmc75/f150/

Old 07-11-2000, 01:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pat Dantzler,

I learn something new every day. I just know that when I get any Armor-All on any glass surface it is a pain in the rear to get off.

Thanks for the info...

Old 07-12-2000, 12:47 AM
Cool

Indyfan and Blueflareside,
Armor all really does work--and without streaking, provided you only use a light coat and don't "GOB" it on. I managed a very succesful detail shop for about 1 1/2 years until I started college, and the guy that owned the place taught me this trick; He has owned his own detail and body shop for over 20 years. I will say that I thought the idea was kinda weird at first, but when I tried it myself--WOW. Helps your wiper blades last longer, and keeps them from "bumping" and jumping across the windshield.

Indyfan,
I agree in keeping the glass and wipers clean, but if you have never used Rain-X, you don't know what you are missing!!! It allows you too see much better in the rain and also makes that windshield a bit easier to clean the next time you wash.

1997 F-150 Lariat X-Cab 4x4, ORP, Tow pack., K&N Filter, Flowmaster exhaust

Old 07-12-2000, 10:15 AM
Well Pat D, I won't argue with success, but I still thinks it's wierd.
As far as the Rain X is concerned, I did try it ... and hated it. While it did work in the rain, I just couldn't get over that haziness it leaves on the glass; and it just didn't seem to last very long, one good rainstorm or a car wash and it was gone.

------------------
1999 Lariat Super Cab, S.B. 5.4L, 3.55 LS
and everything but the leaky slider window.
Bright red w/ gold 2-tone, Leather Captain's Chairs
Mods: Duraliner bedliner, Bugflector II, Hide-a-hooks.
& a leeetle chrome tip on the exhaust.

Quick Reply: Cleaning bugshield, deflectors, etc.