Switching out light bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Switching out light bulbs

First off I don't know if this is the right place for my questions or not, so if it is not right, my apologies.

Had the side marker light burn out on the front of my 2004 FX4, so I went to the auto parts store got some new ones. I get home to change them & was like WTH, how am I supposed to get my big hands in that little spot?! I ended up having to take the whole headlight assembly out just to change 1 little bulb.

Is that SOP for changing any bulb up front?

Also since I took the whole assembly out, do I need to get the headlight re-aimed?

I know this question may be an easy one for most of you, but this is the first time I have had to disassemble a headlight to change a bulb. My old 1995 F-150 had plenty of room behind it to change bulbs.

Thanks

Old 07-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by hk45shooter
First off I don't know if this is the right place for my questions or not, so if it is not right, my apologies.

Had the side marker light burn out on the front of my 2004 FX4, so I went to the auto parts store got some new ones. I get home to change them & was like WTH, how am I supposed to get my big hands in that little spot?! I ended up having to take the whole headlight assembly out just to change 1 little bulb.

Is that SOP for changing any bulb up front?

Also since I took the whole assembly out, do I need to get the headlight re-aimed?

I know this question may be an easy one for most of you, but this is the first time I have had to disassemble a headlight to change a bulb. My old 1995 F-150 had plenty of room behind it to change bulbs.

Thanks
Nope, that is one way of doing it if you cannot get to...same thing for me on the wifes EXPY...take the whole thing out...you do not have to get them re aimed as long as you lined it all back up on right wholes and the bolts are all tight. Presto, done...now you know how to do it faster for the next time.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Thanks RollingRock, I was mainly concerned about the headlight being out of adjustment. All the screws (3 of them) & the pins went back in the same way they come out.

(I was beginning to wonder if anybody had even seen/read this, since there had been no replies to the questions yet. I guess maybe this forum does not move as fast as one of the other ones I frequent?)

Old 07-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

yea you have to pull the light unless you have a small child who is willing to do some manual labor

You should be fine on alignment. If you think the beam is off park your truck about 20-30ft from a wall and adjust the beam using the beam adjuster screw on the top of the headlight housing.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:04 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
You probably would have gotten a faster response if you had posted it in the 2004-2008 truck section. Changing out light bulbs really doesn't have anything to do with detailing. Sounds like it's all good now, and that's what counts.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by glc
You probably would have gotten a faster response if you had posted it in the 2004-2008 truck section. Changing out light bulbs really doesn't have anything to do with detailing. Sounds like it's all good now, and that's what counts.
Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out how this place operates, what goes where type of thing. I kinda went off the "care" part of the sub forum when I posted.

Yes, everything is good now. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Switching out light bulbs