Bug Guts

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2000, 01:48 AM
LHM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bug Guts

What is the best thing to use to get the bug splat off of the hood since I don't have a bug deflector yet. (Looking at the Lund Trident) any body got one if so how do you like it? I also have bug guts on the cap on top of my bumper and also on the grille. Which bug and tar remover is the best or if there are other methods that you use Jack Hammer etc. let me know.

LHM

------------------
2000 F-150 Super Cab XLT 4x4 ORP 5.4liter V8, Towing Package, Rear Slider, Remote keyless Entry,3.55 LS, Black Exterior, Medium Graphite interior, manual shift 4x4. Current mods Gooseneck hitch, mud flaps and Y pipe with duals.

Old 05-05-2000, 08:48 AM
I like to use one of those kitchen sponges with the white nylon netting over them. It doesn't scratch but it takes a lot less elbow grease. Great for the windshield too.

Old 05-07-2000, 12:12 AM
Bug guts suck when it comes to taking them off. Like ExpyBob I use a sponge with a netting on it. You can also use a old toothbrush to try and loosen it up. If you are looking for brands of bug and tar removers, I use one that comes with a sponge on the top of the cover. I can't remember the name, but it works well. Just spray on, use the sponge and wipe off, does not leave any residue. Oh yeah as far as bug deflectors goes, well LUND is the best you can get. The one you choose is up to you.

Old 05-07-2000, 10:09 AM
Try soaking a cotton towel with water. Place it over the effected area 5 to 10 minutes before washing. Then wash as usual.

Old 05-08-2000, 12:19 AM
Hey LHM,
Turtle Wax No.7 Bug & Tar Remover works good for me. I use a small 100% white cotton towel to apply it. It also does a good job removing tar around the wheel wells and fenders.

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat 4x2 Supercab, Styleside,SB,Amazon Green/Clearcoat Metallic,5.4 Liter V8, Class III Tow-Package,3.55 Limited Slip Rear,Bug Deflector, Duraliner Bedliner,Superchip,K&N Filter, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve.

Old 05-10-2000, 05:17 AM
Just wanted to add my two cents on the Turtle Wax Bug & Tar remover....IT WORKS SO WELL! I used it today for the first time....It removed the bugs so well!

Old 05-11-2000, 06:45 AM
I95
The best product out on the market is Lifter 1 Bug and Tar Remover found at all WalMarts.
Spray it on, wipe them off, without rubbing and rubbing.. One of the best of the Market!!! And I have tried them all.

------------------
99 F150 SC,5.4L,4x4 ORP,TTP,Gibson Single Side Cat-Back Exhaust System,Airaid,Duraliner Bedliner,Lund Bug Deflector Shield, SmittyBilt Outland Sport Bumper Guard in SS,A.R.E. Cab High Bed Cap,Valentine Radar Detector,ICOM 2M/70CM Ham Radio,R.F.Concepts Linear Amplifier,2watts in,170 watts out,Diamond SG Series Dual Band Antenna.

Old 05-15-2000, 12:41 AM
Exclamation

Since I wax my Truck so often, the Bug guts come right off..

------------------
2000 White F-150 Sport 4.2L 5-speed,3.55 gears
MODS: K&N, Flowmaster 50 series.
www.fordvschevy.com Ford vs Chevy
Moderator: Road Kill, Mustang vs F-bodies. We also have a
Ford VS GM/Chevy Truck forum

superstang97@yahoo.com
AIM: fakefvc

Old 05-15-2000, 07:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Justbe thankful you do not have love bugs (no...not the computer virus). In Florida we have these bugs twice a year that mate and fly all over the place stuck to each other. You have to get them off your vehicle right away or they will eat through your paint. They have something acidic in them that goes through clearcoat in no time. I keep about three coats of wax on the front surface of my wife's car and my truck. With the bug-shield I do not get any on my hood but I have to scrub my windshield daily. My F-150 has the crome front so I do not have to worry about it eating through the painted grill, etc.

------------------
'98 F-150 XLT SuperCab Flareside, Auto, 4.6L, 4X2, 3.55 LS, 6-CD changer, Moonlight Blue with tan interior, Captains Chairs

Mods
Window tint, Extang Classic Platinum Tonno, Lund Interceptor bug deflector, Wizard Superwhite Bulbs, Pendaliner bedliner, Expedition center consolehttp://www.geocities.com/scmc75/f150/

Old 05-18-2000, 02:31 AM
Cool

Bug guts can really be a perplexing problem for those of us who live in "bug country." Here in Central California, bug guts are a constant nuisance to those who drive through the Wetlands (like I do).

I've found that after a thorough cleaning, use Turtle Wax's "Tire Wax" on the nose of the truck. I use this *only* on the chrome grill and black plastic components.

Spread enough of this stuff to lightly coat the nose and use a soft towel/rag to bring out a shine (I do this once a week).

I'm telling you, after bug guts get splattered and then cooked in 100 degree heat for a few days, the guts will still easily hose right off (with VERY minimal elbow grease).

Try it....

Old 07-02-2000, 02:47 PM
I95
dlb

Anytime.. and I see your from Durham..I'm from Cary.

------------------
99 F150 SC,5.4L,4x4 ORP,TTP,Gibson Single Side Cat-Back Exhaust System,Airaid,Duraliner Bedliner,Lund Bug Deflector Shield, SmittyBilt Outland Sport Bumper Guard in SS,A.R.E. Cab High Bed Cap,Valentine Radar Detector,ICOM 2M/70CM Ham Radio,R.F.Concepts Linear Amplifier,2watts in,170 watts out,Diamond SG Series Dual Band Antenna.

Old 07-03-2000, 12:17 AM
dlb
Thumbs up

I tried Lifter One for the first time today, and I must say, it made cleaning off the damn bugs a breeze. Thanks for the suggestion, I95! Put it on, let it sit for 30 seconds, wiped 'em off with a rag, and rinsed the stuff off. Great product

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT Supercab Wedgewood Blue
  • 2WD w/ 3.55 Limited Slip
  • 4.6L w/ 5 speed manual
  • 16" 5-Spoke Aluminum Wheels
  • Keyless Entry
  • Stereo w/ Single CD
  • Sliding Rear Window
  • HD Electrical and Cooling
  • Medium Parchment Interior

Old 07-28-2000, 03:38 PM
Thumbs up

You might want to try Honda Pro Polish. You can pick it up at most motorcycle stores. I was told by one of the sales reps that it has a chemical which dissolves protein (ie. bug guts). It doesn't hurt your wax finish either.

I use it on my motorcycle all the time, and it works GREAT! Sorry to say, I'm still waiting on my Supercrew. No truck to try it out on.

It also has a wax in it. When you're done, the guts are gone and you have a GREAT wax shine/finish.

Hope this works.

Old 07-29-2000, 01:11 PM
Cool

LHM- sounds like you already got some good product advise here. fakefvc and BlueFlareside's info can be combined to help another way. Keep some coats of wax/sealant good and thick in these areas to help all these products release better and protect your paint from damage.

------------------
2000 F-150 XL,RC,LB,5.4,4R70W,3.55LS,
Class III tow/Payload #3/Convenience pkgs.,
4-wheel disc/ABS,Chestnut/Parchment 40/60,
Ford bedliner & gas/wheel/spare locks,
3" cold air box modification,Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back.

Old 07-30-2000, 05:34 PM
Cool

I wax the front end about every 2 weeks, Rain-x on the windshield, and about 1300 psi at the car wash... they blast off just fine.

------------------
2001 Supercrew, white/silver Lariat, gray leather capt. chairs, 5.4L, Expedition console, wood dash, cobra hood, billet grill, Ford chrome tube steps, Line-X liner, Magnaflow cat-back dual exhaust w/stainless tips, k/n filter, http://hometown.aol.com/washyourcar/supercrew.html

Quick Reply: Bug Guts