Spray-in bedliner overspray

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2000, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Spray-in bedliner overspray

I have what I believe is overspray from the spray-in bedliner all over my truck. It's not really obvious, you can only see it if you take a closer look but I'd still like to get rid of it. Any idea how to take it off?
I noticed it the day after I got it home from the dealership but I don't want to take it back cuz I'm sure they would mess it up with a polishing disk or something. Have you guys ever seen a car that was polished with a polishing dics? Man, that's the worst thing you can do to your paint.

------------------
2000 Supercab XLT 2WD 5.4L 3.55LS White w. grey interior, spray-in AND plastic bedliner, hitch
Jeff Emig Special Edition
Picture of my truck

Old 07-18-2000, 01:34 AM
In a case like this I would rather have them mess it up then me mess it up. When it comes to messing with my paint I leave it to the professionals. There is probably a way for you to do it but I'll bet it's not simple and I would have the pucker factor X10 the whole time I was doing it. I would recommend having the dealer remove it.
Holy cow! I just noticed, you have a spray-in and a drop-in? Whatever for?

[This message has been edited by 2000Lariat (edited 07-18-2000).]

Old 07-18-2000, 07:05 PM
Cool

Most of the spray in bedliners are Xylene based. You "might" be able to remove overspray with some Xylene and a soft nonabrasive cotton towell (and rubber gloves), but I wouldn't dare take chances by myself. They screwed it up, and they should fix it. If they screw it up anymore, then they gotta foot the bill for your paint. If you screw it up more, then you gotta foot the bill for your paint.

------------------
1997 F-150, 4.6, automatic, Dark Toreador Red, Supercab, Flareside, 4X4 Off-Road, Towing Package, Ford hvy dty rubber floor mats, Kenwood 10-disk cd changer, Kenwood am/fm cassette head unit, PYLE 2000 Plus speakers, Ford bugshield, Chrome Grizzly Wrap Around Push Bar with 2 KC 100w Daylighters, Ford wheel locks and spare tire lock, Lund Lunar Visor, Ventshades, AVS slotted taillight covers painted to match, Ford bedliner, Lund Premier tonneau cover, cab and bed professionally undercoated, Code Alarm Sure Start RVS remote starter, Ford alarm, Realistic CB with Wilson Little Wil antenna, ported MAF sensor, Motorsport 9mm wires, dual platinum motorcraft plugs, K&N filter, and Lots of TLC!! (Besides being an F-150 nut, I am a Ford auto technician.)

http://njf150truckclub.homestead.com/wyldf150.html

Old 07-18-2000, 11:29 PM
I've not seen a bedliner 'spray', so maybe I'm talking out of my a**. If it resembles undercoat, that was removable with wax and grease remover which is available at any auto-paint supplier, and sometimes at parts stores.

The disadvantage with a Xylene-based cleaner is that any ***-ene based cleaner if used in excess *could* smear the paint. I've been out of the industry for 12+ years, but there were a lot of paint and paint-related products that were toluene, xylene, polypropylene, ***-ene-based.

I'd make them clean it. They'll know what to use. and IF you got a good pro, you wouldn't be able to see swirl marks from a polishing pad. Good luck!

Old 07-21-2000, 12:57 AM
Actually, it comes off with polish but it takes a long time and patience. I just thought there might be a quicker but still safe way to remove the overspray. I haven't tried either tar remover or the detailing clay. I really don't want to take my truck to the dealer unless it is absolutely necessary. I'm sure most of you understand why.
Thanks for the input, everyone. I'll keep you updated on the removal.

------------------
2000 Supercab XLT 2WD 5.4L 3.55LS White w. grey interior, spray-in AND plastic bedliner, hitch
Picture of my truck

Old 07-23-2000, 12:55 AM
You may want to try a clay bar on it.

------------------
all4chem@aol.com
Y2K XLT Supercab Flareside, Oxford White, Medium Graphite, Captains Chairs, 6-Disc, 5.4L, 3.55LS, Tow Pkg, Block Heater, Sliding Glass, Keyless Entry, 5-Spoke Al Wheels, P235/70R-16 OWL Tires, Clear Corner Lenses, Eaglite Plasma Headlights, Al Striker Plates for the rear doors, Oxford White Lund Interceptor, Line-X Liner.
Ordered: 01-17-00
Built: 02-23-00
Delivered: 03-13-00

Old 07-23-2000, 03:48 AM
I will try the clay bar.
To answer a previous question, the spray-in bedliner was already in the bed when I bought the truck. I sometimes carry steel plates and if they slip, they make a big dent on the inside of the bed. The spray-in bedliner won't prevent that. That's why I put the plastic bedliner in. Besides, if the plastic bedliner gets screwd up, you can take it out and put in another one. But how do you take the spray-in out?

------------------
Picture of my truck

[This message has been edited by new5.4 (edited 07-23-2000).]

Old 07-23-2000, 04:34 PM
Banned
If you are ever about to fix something on your truck and your not sure what the result will be get someone else to do it. If they mess up it and you get mad, they will fix it.

------------------
'97 F-150 XLT Expidition front end (no idea why). 17inch 4x4 wheels with 32 inch tires flowmasters with tips, K&N filter, 5-spd, 4.2 V-6 bedliner, bright clearcoat red, stepside, hidden hitch, 3.55 gear ratio, tinted windows and a BIG reg ford sticker on the back window (my greatest joy is cutting people off who have calvin pissin on the ford sign and they HAVE to look at my big red sticker)

Old 08-14-2000, 02:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

WD-40 might work.

Quick Reply: Spray-in bedliner overspray