Extended Warranties

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2000, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Extended Warranties

Have truck on order with all the bells and whistles and am considering an extended warranty. Dealer's warranty is very expensive (looking at a 7 year, 100,000 mile warranty). I plan on keeping the truck for at least that long and do not put a lot of miles on my vehicle (use the minivan for most long trips and such, on disability so I have no commutng miles, just mainly to the YMCA and back).

I contacted a company called #1 Source Auto Warranty. Have very good ratings from Standard and Poors, Moody's and AM Best (I checked them out myself, didn't take their word for it). For a 7yr/100,000 Bumper to Bumper, they want $1079 (zero deductable). It covers everything but normal wear and tear items, brake pads, some clutch parts, belts, some hoses, the standard stuff.

Looking for anyone who has dealt with this company. I think I will buy it with all the motors and such than can go wrong in 7 years but still would appreciate other's opinions.

Thanks,

hut

------------------
Order - 2001 XLT, Flareside, 4x4, loaded, offroad package, 4.6 with standard transmissom, island blue,
Going to install Superchip and K & N filter for now, has factory bars (tubular), adding Mannis (sp?) Brush Guard, Westin Rear Light Brush Guards, Lunds Interceptor Bug Shield, inside mount vent visors (not from Vent Visor), Rhino Coating the bed, maybe a Grizzly Roll Bar depending on whether truck will fit in the garage.

Old 09-04-2000, 05:14 PM
Hi Hut
I hope you don't mind me replying to you everytime.

I bought the Ford ESP Premium Care 6 / 100K with a $100 deductible for $1025. My girlfriend's Jetta was through a company called Warrantech and has similar coverage but 7 / 100K and a $50 deductible for $700.

I had looked at one from General Electric with similar coverage and deductible as my ESP for $850. I went with the Ford plan because I was concerned about another company would have to approve the repairs. This means they have to send out a rep of saome sort or something to approve it. With the Ford you don't have to wait for approval and it covers Ford parts.

An example of what could happen; State Farm would only pay for an off-brand replacement bumper on my Ranger that was only 24 months old, they said since it had 44K miles on it, it wasn't considered new enough for Ford replacement parts, I paid the extra $100.00 for the Ford bumper.

I was worried that an independant warranty holder would pull a similar stunt. At least check with them on that, remember there is A LOT of bargaining room on extended warranties. The ESP I bought was originally offered to me at $2000.

Another piece of mind expense. lol

Best of luck and no mercy to the finance person!!!

------------------
all4chem@aol.com
Y2K XLT Supercab Flareside, Oxford White, Medium Graphite, Captains Chairs, 6-Disc, 5.4L, 3.55LS, Tow Pkg, Block Heater, Sliding Glass, Remote and Keyless Entry, 5-Spoke Al Wheels, P235/70R-16 OWL Tires, Clear Corner Lenses, Eaglite Plasma Headlights, Al Striker Plates for the rear doors, Oxford White Lund Interceptor, Line-X Liner, and White Faced Gauges.
Ordered: 01-17-00
Built: 02-23-00
Delivered: 03-13-00

Old 09-04-2000, 06:18 PM
Talking

No problem with responding, I appreciate the advice. I have asked this company to send me a copy of the contract so I can look it over for just the things you mentioned. I was not aware that extended warranties were negotiable, I will definitely keep that in mind when the person comes in and trys to sell me the warranty, rust proofing and paint protection.

What is you opinion on the paint sealers/protectants? Ziebart has one that I think is called Black Diamond and it not a spray on sealer but is put on my hand. Has to be redone every year but for very little additional cost. I am disabled and have problems washing and waxing car and trucks. I was also looking in that Dri-wash stuff. You have any experience with it?

Thanks again for the responses.

hut

------------------
Order - 2001 XLT, Flareside, 4x4, loaded, offroad package, 4.6 with standard transmissom, island blue,
Going to install Superchip and K & N filter for now, has factory bars (tubular), adding Mannis (sp?) Brush Guard, Westin Rear Light Brush Guards, Lunds Interceptor Bug Shield, inside mount vent visors (not from Vent Visor), Rhino Coating the bed, maybe a Grizzly Roll Bar depending on whether truck will fit in the garage.

Old 09-04-2000, 07:32 PM
I don't have any experience with the paint sealers. My aunt has the Ziebart (Mark ?? Service??) package on her car (interior and exterior) and she keeps it in the garage and drives very little <12,000 miles per year. Every year it is to be renewed (about $60, I believe) and her car looks like it did the day she drove it home after 4 years. She is in her mid-70's and can't feasibly wax it herself. I do believe this service is only as good as the place that does it as well. (just like the Line-X places)

I enjoy waxing and cleaning my truck so I still do it myself. I, however, don't enjoy changing the oil which is why I have that done at the Ford dealer, same price as Jiffy Lube.

In your situation you may want to go with the paint protectant service. I've also heard people here use a California duster between wash / waxes with good success. I'm not sure if this would be much help to you in the winter though, assuming your winters there in OH are similar to ours with the road salt.

Old 09-04-2000, 08:03 PM
Thanks all4 for the information. Good to hear the stuff works. I have read about the California Duster in a few other posts. Where I can find info on that? I could probably do that inbetween washes. I am with you on the oil changes too!!

Thanks again for the info,

hut

------------------
Order - 2001 XLT, Flareside,Super Cab, 4x4, loaded, off road package, 4.6 with standard transmissom, island blue,Going to install Superchip and K & N filter for now, has factory bars (tubular), adding Mantis Brush Guard, Westin Rear Light Brush Guards, Lund Interceptor Bug Shield, inside mount vent visors (not from Vent Visor), Arma Coating the bed (black), maybe a Grizzly Roll Bar depending on whether truck will fit in the garage.

Old 09-04-2000, 11:12 PM
If you search in here somewhere you'll find it. I posted about it as did Steveo and I think Marv1. Wal-mart has them for $10.00. I bought a little one for the dash and ended up using it in the house. It's just a red dust mop with a short handle. Works good on a waxed vehicle for fresh dust. I also use Meguiars quick detailer when I can to keep the bird stuff off and dust.

Are you near Cinci? I'll be there next week and a week a month through December.

Old 09-05-2000, 03:29 PM
Talking

Thanks again for the info all4. As for where I am, the other end of the state I am afraid, about a 7 hour drive. I will do the search as you said.

Thanks again,

hut

------------------
Order - 2001 XLT, Flareside,Super Cab, 4x4, loaded, off road package, 4.6 with standard transmissom, island blue,Going to install Superchip and K & N filter for now, has factory bars (tubular), adding Mantis Brush Guard, Westin Rear Light Brush Guards, Lund Interceptor Bug Shield, inside mount vent visors (not from Vent Visor), Arma Coating the bed (black), maybe a Grizzly Roll Bar depending on whether truck will fit in the garage.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranties