wax on vinyl

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2000, 05:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post wax on vinyl

How do you get the dried wax off the black vinyl trim parts?

Old 08-26-2000, 09:06 AM
Don't quite understand the question, so I'll post two answers: soft toothbrush, or wax and grease remover.

Old 08-26-2000, 09:34 AM
If you use a "clear" vinyl and rubber protectant, it is petroleum based and will allow you to remove wax (also usually petroleum based) when you protect the plastic.
On a indirectly related sidenote, the manual says not to use the above mentioned petroleum based protectants on your vinyl as it will weaken the parts. I don't believe it, as most of these products contain mineral spirits. I have a bottle of mineral spirits that came packaged in a HDPE bottle and from what I can tell our trim is made of either LDPE or HDPE. Plus even amorall is making the clear stuff now, so how do these companies get away with it if it hurts the plastic?
AND the white stuff washes away with a good rain leaving chalky residue which is normal according to Meguiars. "Just apply more product" they say. I would be out there every other day living in IL.

------------------
all4chem@aol.com
Y2K XLT Supercab Flareside, Oxford White, Medium Graphite, Captains Chairs, 6-Disc, 5.4L, 3.55LS, Tow Pkg, Block Heater, Sliding Glass, Remote and Keyless Entry, 5-Spoke Al Wheels, P235/70R-16 OWL Tires, Clear Corner Lenses, Eaglite Plasma Headlights, Al Striker Plates for the rear doors, Oxford White Lund Interceptor, Line-X Liner, and White Faced Gauges.
Ordered: 01-17-00
Built: 02-23-00
Delivered: 03-13-00

Old 09-02-2000, 12:06 AM
Talking

I have had marginal success with a damp chamois. It seems to do a better job than any of the other options I have tried.

------------------
The Saint
2000 F-150
5.4 L
4X4

Old 09-02-2000, 04:05 AM
Thumbs up

I use a toothbrush and stick it down in a bottle of alcohol!I give it a few scrubs and wipe with a rag it gets rid of all that white wax and leaves it clean.

Old 09-06-2000, 06:24 AM
When ALL else fails, purchase either the grey bumper/trim paint or the black from Pep Boys, tape it off, and spray it.

I had a buttload of overwax on my truckfrom the previous owner and instead of doing all the old tricks, I just taped it off and sprayed it...looks like new!
www.geocities.com/bigwulfe (under autos)

------------------
Bigwulfe
Black 99 XLT 4X4 Sport, Standard Cab, Flareside, Lund Premier Tonneau, VA tint. SHARP AS SHI*!!!

Quick Reply: wax on vinyl