Cleaning glass - streak free

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2000, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DuckHntr,

You should use dish soap with care. It's formulated for cutting grease and petroleum-based products, so if you get any on the painted surfaces, it strips the wax off.

Old 08-24-2000, 12:31 AM
Talking

Dennis

You're right, the ink does come come off on your hand but not on your windshield. Expecially if you are using todays newspaper I guess you could always use rubber gloves...

------------------
1997 F-150
Ext Cab
4x4 w/offroad pkg
towing pkg
4.6L with Auto Trans

Old 09-08-2000, 09:45 PM
Thumbs up

csacom is right about the newspaper. Just use amonia, hot water and newspaper. If you don't have amonia, use hot water and vinegar, works well if you don't mind the sweet & sour smell. Leave the doors and the windows open for about an hour though!!

------------------
2001 Screw XLT
Oxford White, 5.4L,
Towing, Posi, Slider
Power seat, keyless
bedliner

[This message has been edited by anteater (edited 09-08-2000).]

Old 09-12-2000, 10:50 AM
Lightbulb

anteater

I have not heard of using the amonia or vinegar... does that work as well or better than Windex? I thought people were crazy when I heard of the newspaper... I guess you learn something every day!

------------------
1997 F-150
Ext Cab
Short Bed
4x4 ORP
Towing pkg
4.6L with Auto Trans
Superchip & Velocity Tube
6000lb GVW

Old 09-13-2000, 11:03 PM
csacom,

I think amonia works the best. It breaks up dirt and grime faster ( sounds like a commercial, doesn't it??) and it won't dry to fast. It's a little harder to dry than Windex, but it works the best. Vinegar, well it's better than windex, but it's close. Obviously the smell gets in the way, and then streaking windows don't seem all that bad! It does very well if it's all you have. You can use vinegar to clean out your coffee machine and your sinuses very well however!!

------------------
2001 Screw XLT
Oxford White, 5.4L,
Towing, Posi, Slider
Power seat, keyless
bedliner

Old 09-15-2000, 08:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

The newspaper trick works best, but I've found that the black and white works marginally better than the colored sections. Also, for the outside, like Dan said above, Rain-X all the way!! Something that helps it is to add the rain-x concentrate to the washer fluid (it comes in a little disposable packet) or just spend the extra buck and buy the Rain-X washer fluid. It severely extends the life of the RainX on the windshield (which is usually the first to wear off anyhow). I've gone 9 months without rain-x ing my windshield thanks to the solvent.
-Joe-

------------------
98 Explorer (Lemon Law Case in Progress)
Deposit on '00 F-150, X-cab, 4x4, Lariat, Off-road, Trailer Tow, Sunroof, currently missing the fuel filler door, but they're working on that..

Old 09-19-2000, 05:11 PM
Try Bon Ami, It will not scratch and leaves the windows very clean. I used to use a product called glass wax but havhnt seen it around for awhile it was very god too.

------------------
2001 Lariat Supercab 4x4 5.4 Deep Highland green over Arizonia Tan, very nice color combo.

Old 09-20-2000, 02:10 AM
i dont know the scientific mamma jamma on it but the reason newspaper works well is the charcol in the ink absorbs the "stuff" or soemthing really well and thats why you get no streaks. simple soap will take the ink off your hands windex and newspaper work fine. I wanted to buy that mistic maid thing but i went to kmart today and it looked like a ghetto kmart with bumbs and stuff hehe so i left.

------------------
F150 97 4.6 v8 longbed
K&N Air filter
Hyper White xenon bulbs
Bedliner and Shell
6 disc cd changer

Old 09-27-2000, 07:16 PM
Lightbulb

What the guys early in the post were talking about are microfiber cloths made by a company called "Euroclean". They look like paper towels but have thousands of tiny fibers that make cleaning glass a breeze. They can be washed up to 25 times and still be effective. Either moisten the microfiber cloths, or spray water onto the glass and wipe the water off. No Streaks!! These cloths will take hair spray off a bathroom mirror with only water. They are amazing.

They are expensive, $39 for 10, but are well worth the $. My company distributes them in the institutional market place. If you have an interest in them feel free to email me and I will be happy to supply them to you. mchaudron@edcomfg.com, or call 877-926-6926, ask for Mike.

F-150 SuperCrew, XLT, 4x4
Toredor Red with Silver two tone,
Graphite Int.
3.55 Limited Slip
Class III Towing
Skid Plates
Sliding Rear Mirror
17 Inch, 10 spoke Alum wheels
AWESOME TRUCK!

Old 10-12-2000, 10:10 PM
Wink

CSAcom,

Yep, white vinegar 50% with warm water and paper towels ...... try it, you'll like it! Oh, then Rain-Ex on top ........

Glass was so clean I tried to pay my toll with the window up!

------------------
Dunbarton "The Middle Aged Kid" '99 XLT SC SB 4x2 4.6 auto 3.55 ls The occasional Z-71 Eater! Wedgewood & Denim, SuperChipped, Airaid FIPK, HD electrical and cooling, power seat, Rhino Liner, Extang Classic tonneau cover, Mobil 1. Man, I got it all! (New Jersey)

[This message has been edited by Dunbarton (edited 10-12-2000).]

Quick Reply: Cleaning glass - streak free