Cleaning glass - streak free

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2000, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Cleaning glass - streak free

I have found the miracle product for cleaning the insides and outsides of all the windows. It's a rag called Mystic Maid. You keep it in it's bag, get it a little damp with water, and cleans better than a spray glass cleaner. No streaking what so ever, and it's a soft cloth that will last a Loooonnng time. I picked mine up at a K-Mart out of curiosity, and going back for more. Anyone else out there tried it, and how long did it last before getting a new one?

Scot

------------------
97 F150 ORP
Towing/trailer package, 3.55LS
34" Mickey Thompson Baja Belteds, Requisite K&N Airfilter
JVC Kamelon CD Player, CB, bug shield, window shields, and other goodies

Old 07-10-2000, 04:32 AM
Is this a micro-fiber cloth? It's been around for years, but is just catching on in the US. 5 or 6 years ago, I had somebody send me a bunch from Japan. Gave them away for presents. I don't think people really knew what I gave them. Oh well...

You need to wash them often to prevent scratching of soft surfaces, like plastic. The cloth will not scratch, but what get's embedded in the fibers will.

Old 07-10-2000, 08:54 AM
Yup, that's it. I remember an aunt raving about them a couple years ago and when I saw one in a store I figure, what the heck. It actaully does a great job on the chrome bumpers too.

Scot

------------------
97 F150 ORP

Old 07-10-2000, 02:33 PM
Interesting how this cloth works. The fibers are so small, that they slip under the dust and oils and lifts them away from the surface. I use it to clean my glasses, camera lenses, etc. It removes finger prints from any hard surface.

Never thought about using it on chrome. In fact, until you brought it up, I never even thought about using it anywhere on the truck! Well, that situation will change real soon! Thanks for bringing this subject up.

Old 07-10-2000, 02:42 PM
I have a similar cloth by 3M I used on my glasses I got with the little generic "glasses repair kit" found at the compulsive shopping area at any grocery store check out, but it's not as fine. Glad someone appreciates the cloth. People look at me like I'm insane when I share my experiences with the cloth. lol

Scot

------------------
97 F150 ORP

Old 07-11-2000, 01:57 AM
Cool

I've never heard of this thing but if it works for you USE IT!! Personally, I like to use some rubbing alcohol and a piece of newspaper-- u heard right!! Streakless, no scrubbing, and it will not harm tinted windows- in fact a good window tinting place will tell you to use plain water or rubbing alcohol to clean them. After you clean them, don't forget to put a good coat of RAIN-X on the outside of the glass. (Some stuff called Rain-X anti-fog can be put on the interior of the glass-- but NOT on "aftermarket" tinted glass). The Rain-X glass treatment will make the exterior of the glass be much,much easier to clean next time, in addition to making the water bead up and roll right off (if you drive these NICE FORDS in the rain). These are just my findings and .02 worth.

97 F-150 Lariat X-Cab 4x4, ORP, Tow pack., K&N Filter, Flowmaster 40 series Delta-Flow

[This message has been edited by Pat Dantzler (edited 07-11-2000).]

Old 07-19-2000, 02:05 PM
I do it like the pro window washers.. a good quality squegee keeps mine streak free.

------------------
2001 Supercrew, white/silver Lariat, gray leather capt. chairs, 5.4L, Expedition console,dark zebra wood dash, cobra hood, billet grill, Ford chrome tube steps, Line-X liner, Magnaflow cat-back dual exhaust w/stainless tips, k/n filter, http://hometown.aol.com/washyourcar/supercrew.html

Old 08-14-2000, 02:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

I use #0000 steel wool and plain brown paper
towels,the kind that have no perforations.
And of course,aerosol window cleaner. This
stuff works better than non-aerosol type.

Old 08-14-2000, 09:11 PM
I washed my truck on Saturday and cleaned the windows with Windex. Sunday morning while driving into the sun, I noticed the windshield was streaky and kinda oily. It was the Windex. I went ho,e and used what my wife uses...ammonia and hot water. The difference was dramatic. No more Windex for me, just ammonia and hot water

------------------
'99 F150 SC, 4x2, Oxford white, flareside, 5.4, 3.55 rearend,
bodyside mouldings, Snuglid hard tonneau, K&N dropin, airbox and frsh air mods. Red Outerwears pre-filter.
Duraliner drop-in (gave up on the Penda Nascar). Gibson Supertruck. Ford 2-piece bra. Catch-All floor mats. Image tail light covers. B-Quiet sound dampener in rear of cab. **** pile rug protecting spare tire (Raoul made me enter this)
No door cracks yet at 13K!!!

Old 08-14-2000, 11:39 PM
I use a bucket filled with warm water and dish soap. Use a dish towel and spread the sudzy stuff onto the window and scrub. Use a dry towel to clean off. No streaks and it lasts for weeks.

Marv1, I agree, the Windex and the other like stuff always leaves streaks...

Old 08-15-2000, 07:48 PM
Don't waste your money on "Armor All Glass Cleaner", it's no better then windex.

Old 08-15-2000, 08:27 PM
I've also tried Turtle Wax "ClearVue." It's worse than Windex. Very oily and leaves a film of residue. Save your $money$ and stick with the sudzy dish soap or ammonia and water...

Old 08-21-2000, 10:22 AM
Exclamation

Beleive it or not the BEST way to clean your windows streak free is to use Windex and NEWSPAPER!! Yes regular old newspaper, it does not matter whether it is color or not, and the ink will NOT come off. Just give it a try!

------------------
1997 F-150
Ext Cab
4x4 w/offroad pkg
towing pkg
4.6L with Auto Trans

Old 08-22-2000, 08:04 AM
I found some stuff called DIRTEX. It comes in the size of like a spray paint can and works wonders on glass. I bought it for the tile counters and read on the can that it is used for glass and mirrors also. Streak Free stuff, unlike windex and all that garbage junk cleaners.

------------------
1999 Black F-150, Quad, V-6, SPORT.
MODS:Ford Bedliner, SONY CD-CHANGER w/ AMP and POLK Speaks. Cool stickers that make me go fast
Future: Im gonna trick it out.

Old 08-22-2000, 06:36 PM
csacom,

That's not true about the ink. It does come off, but the only place you can really see it is on your hands! Don't touch anything with your inked hand until you can wash it off, otherwise, you'll find black hand prints all over the place.

Quick Reply: Cleaning glass - streak free