clay sticking to paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
clay sticking to paint

Sticky clay= too hot?

Used lots of qd, is it just too hot ? Surface was freshly washed.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are referring to Meg's Clay Bar? I used a Meg's Clay Bar on my '02 GT a few months ago in 100+* heat index, I just kept it lubricated and had no issues. I always take the clay bar and kneed it several minutes before the first use.

Try running water over the area while using the clay bar. The water will keep it cool. Also, I always squirt a little detailer on the clay bar before beginning the process.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nu-supercrew
Sticky clay= too hot?

Used lots of qd, is it just too hot ? Surface was freshly washed.
You may be pushing on the clay to hard. Only time ive had that problem was pushing to hard on it or the QD was drying up to quick and not allowing it to be slick enough

Old 09-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
You may be pushing on the clay to hard. Only time ive had that problem was pushing to hard on it or the QD was drying up to quick and not allowing it to be slick enough
I must have been pushing too hard. I dropped that last 1/2 of clay, so that's that. I'll go easy with a new bar tomorrow,

Old 09-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Was the truck outside/in the sun? If the paint is hot clay will definitely stick to it. Clay will also sometimes stick if the paint has a lot of silicone on the surface (normally from certain waxes/excess auto car washes).

As mentioned, your best bet is to keep the paint cool if possible (it doesn't need to be inside, just cool to the touch). If it continues to stick perhaps try stripping any wax you have on there prior to claying.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are you using as a lubricant?

Besides using enough QD for lubricant it helps to QD the entire car prior to claying. By doing that you are getting some contaminants that the wash missed first, leaving that much less for the clay to pick up. That and your clay bar will last longer.

You should be spraying enough QD on while claying so that your almost splashing it around. No need to press hard just nice easy strokes, keep your work area fairly small, 1/3rd of the hood for example then wipe dry/continue.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:52 AM
I'd recommend finding a shaded area and be liberal with the QD. No need to be overly aggressive either, as mentioned above.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:47 PM
One recommendation I can make is to use an oval pattern when moving the clay. If you use a back and forth motion, the clay stops as you change direction. You are applying pressure at this time and it can make the clay stick a little.

Quick Reply: clay sticking to paint