What to use on black plastic trim?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010 | 09:45 PM
|
What to use on black plastic trim?

What are you folks using on black plastic trim, such as the b-pillars, door handle surrounds, mirrors and bed rail caps?

I want some protection and something to to keep it from 'ashing' up over time. I've tried armor all, eagle one nano wax, and a couple of other things - but the plastic on these trucks seems to be extraordinarily hard. Anything I put on just washes off and streaks the paint with the lightest of rain.

Also, any recommendations for side steps and the rear bumper tread? Something that can protect without making it slick?

Thanks!

Old 09-11-2010 | 09:48 PM
HEAT GUN

Old 09-11-2010 | 10:46 PM
Black Wow works good and it doesn't streak. I just wish it would last longer than about a week.

Old 09-11-2010 | 11:42 PM
|
So my trim is in good shape - I don't need to restore it - just want to prevent it from getting messed up. Seems like Black Wow is meant more to get trim back to black. Does it work to protect as well?

Old 09-12-2010 | 01:57 AM
http://www.castleproductsonline.com/...treatment.html

This will be the longest lasting product you can find. It has been the best product I have purchased yet.

Old 09-21-2010 | 12:26 AM
Ultimate Protectant : http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=38030

But make sure you clean the surface well first and then work a small amount of UP in good with a foam pad. Should restore to like new color or darker and lasts for weeks.

Walmart
O'Reilly Auto

Last edited by birdshooter; 09-21-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-22-2010 | 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by LTMARK
http://www.castleproductsonline.com/...treatment.html

This will be the longest lasting product you can find. It has been the best product I have purchased yet.
Which one of the Castle Product were you referring to for being the best?

Old 09-22-2010 | 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Jeffsaflyer
Which one of the Castle Product were you referring to for being the best?
The Vinyl Top Treatment - NV™ Vinyl Top Treatment, I use it on all my black trim, going on four months, and all of it looks as it did the day I applied it. Do not get it on the paint, or on your glass, when it dries it is difficult to remove.

Old 09-23-2010 | 11:46 AM
Thumbs up

Lately I've4 been using ICE Liquid Polish after washing or waxing ... even if with other products. I just did my Mercury GM the other day with some meguires and then went back over all the plastic and rubber outside with the ICE Liquid. It also does a great job of eliminating that white look on textured black plastic you see after swiping your wax applicator across it, and it helps to get that white residue out of crevices.

It claims :
  • Can be applied to all exterior rubber, plastic and vinyl trim to restore color and shine without leaving white residue.
  • Unlike conventional waxes, ICE™ can be applied in direct sunlight or on a hot surface without streaking or wax build-up.
  • A single application will provide extraordinary shine however, multiple layers will further increase depth of gloss and shine.
  • Formulated with light stabilizers to protect your car’s finish from the suns damaging UV rays.
  • Complete kit includes a custom applicator and microfiber towel.

It's super easy to apply ... and buff as desired though I don't worry about buffing excess off rubber. If you get it on glass, no problems. Just a little squirt on the foam goes a long way. They have some other products I've started using too, though I have a lot of more conventional stuff still on my supply shelves and will continue to use.

For waxing in general, I've used the Ice LP a couple times and it's quick, but later you see "damp" looking spots where it maybe wasn't dry when you first buffed it. Guess it's technique?

Anyway ... I have enough Meguires, Eagle 1, Liquid Glass, etc to last me likely a few years?

Last edited by tbear853; 09-23-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-23-2010 | 04:04 PM
Excellent product !!

I have been using Aerospace 303 Protectant for years on both cars and boats. It's a great product for protecting all of your interior, exterior and engine vinyl, rubber and plastic.

Under the hood it repels dust and everything stays shiny and protected. Aerospace 303 makes a lot of great products.

http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...protectant.cfm

Old 09-23-2010 | 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by 07newscrew
..... etc ..... Aerospace 303 Protectant ..... etc .....
http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...protectant.cfm
I have got to get me some of that stuff, been hearing lots of good about it!

Old 09-25-2010 | 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by tbear853
Lately I've4 been using ICE Liquid Polish after washing or waxing ... even if with other products. I just did my Mercury GM the other day with some meguires and then went back over all the plastic and rubber outside with the ICE Liquid. It also does a great job of eliminating that white look on textured black plastic you see after swiping your wax applicator across it, and it helps to get that white residue out of crevices.

It claims :
  • Can be applied to all exterior rubber, plastic and vinyl trim to restore color and shine without leaving white residue.
  • Unlike conventional waxes, ICE™ can be applied in direct sunlight or on a hot surface without streaking or wax build-up.
  • A single application will provide extraordinary shine however, multiple layers will further increase depth of gloss and shine.
  • Formulated with light stabilizers to protect your car’s finish from the suns damaging UV rays.
  • Complete kit includes a custom applicator and microfiber towel.

It's super easy to apply ... and buff as desired though I don't worry about buffing excess off rubber. If you get it on glass, no problems. Just a little squirt on the foam goes a long way. They have some other products I've started using too, though I have a lot of more conventional stuff still on my supply shelves and will continue to use.

For waxing in general, I've used the Ice LP a couple times and it's quick, but later you see "damp" looking spots where it maybe wasn't dry when you first buffed it. Guess it's technique?

Anyway ... I have enough Meguires, Eagle 1, Liquid Glass, etc to last me likely a few years?
+1 for Turtle Ice wax on exterior rubber and plastic.

Old 09-29-2010 | 11:05 AM
|
I picked up some of the Meguier's Ultimate Protectant and tried it this weekend. It takes a bit longer to apply as you have to essentially 'wax on/wax off' and you have to be careful to get it even as it shows if it's not. It's also a bit 'glossier' (is that a word?) than I expected, but not too bad.

I'll report back on durability/resistance to running. I'll also try to pick up some of the other products mentioned and try them as well.

thanks for the info!

Old 09-29-2010 | 07:25 PM
Aerospace 303

Old 09-29-2010 | 08:15 PM
I also use Aerospace 303, but only on large surfaces like my tonneau cover. For trim I use Adam's VRT.

Freshly applied VRT on the right.

It won't last for months and months, but it does pretty dang well between washes. I just saw on their website that they've tweaked the formula to make it waterproof, that should help it last even longer between washes.

- NCSU

Quick Reply: What to use on black plastic trim?