Anyone tried any of these undercoating products?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 11:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone tried any of these undercoating products?

Rocker Guard, Rubberized undercoating, Rocker Schutz..

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...beZ024MJP62Rgl

Looking too see if any of these are worth while in the wheel wells, inside body, etc or is spaying a new coat of Rustoleum every year is the better way to go. I've done my axle and my leaf spring with the rattle can. so far, there is not one spec of rust on any part of the fame or undercarriage and I'd like to keep it that way.

Thanks.

Edit: Should this be in 'other body'? My apologies if this is misplaced. I guess this does fit into the 'care' part of care and detailing.

Last edited by 2008_XL; 09-12-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just picked up a can of rustoleum undercoating that I'll be spraying on the next time I put the truck on the lift. I'll let you know how I like it but my Dad uses it too and has had pretty good results. I don't know if it is any better than painting it tho.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex_4.2L
I just picked up a can of rustoleum undercoating that I'll be spraying on the next time I put the truck on the lift. I'll let you know how I like it but my Dad uses it too and has had pretty good results. I don't know if it is any better than painting it tho.
If it's not too much to ask, when you do it, can you post in here or PM me about how you like it? Maybe even some pics? I don't want to be annoying. Thanks!

Old 09-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3m

I have used the 3M rocker shutz and body shutz on a few cars I have restored. This stuff is by far the best product I have found. But you will need to buy the gun that screws into the can for applying material. The rocker shutz i used was tan/beige color. This product is probably the same stuff that mfrs use on rockers and lips before painting. I have used the rocker shutz along bottom of car all the way around from front to rear. And, it works great for trunk coating. Then you can paint it. This stuff is extremely durable and withstands the car wash sprayers.

The body shutz is black and will give the appearance of a brand new factory finish. Again, its extremely durable. I would highly suggest using this product. It will seal well and prevent moisture from getting underneath it. Its not cheap tho, seems like it was about $15 a can, and it would usually take 4 cans for me to undercoat a small car. This stuff has been on a couple of my cars for 15+ years and is still in great shape.

Keep in mind that you can thin both products if you dont want a coarse finish. I just used a very small amount of laquer thinner where I wanted a slightly smoother finish.

Seems like I paid about $30 for the gun but that was 20 years ago, lol!

Quick Reply: Anyone tried any of these undercoating products?