Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 02:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off, must mention that you are an extremely talented writer. Secondly, I completely agree with you and of-course there is a huge difference in a sale-ready and show ready car. I have worked in both fields, and the one currently completely depends on circumstances. A salesman thats broke, or eager often sells a trade-in before it even gets through our service department making an extremely rushed sale date for us to have it ready by, and causing a less than what I would like job to be done. In actuality at my work, my boss is an absolute perfectionist and usually on any vehicle worth its value we make sure to make it look as perfect as possible without having to order anything else for the car. The difference in where I work now, and where I did work is simple. Time is much more important at large scale, and sometimes things that could be fixed are left broken where I work now IMHO, not mechanically but cosmetic. Vehicles that obviously need buffed, or waxed but are low end get sent on out with clean insides and unfinished outsides. At my families dealership I worked for my uncle who was more than OCD, and every interior piece was commonly removed from the car and cleaned front and back, carpets power washed , seats scrubbed until brand new if not a better one would be pulled and cleaned from a salvage yard, at my families place we wouldnt even leave a faded **** on a car, everything was as perfect as could get cosmetically or else he wouldn't put it on his lot. Sometimes this got very old, but it also taught me how to detail like I do. Which at the rate of pay I make now its not something to be so proud of, but attention to detail is one of the many things my uncle taught me before he passed.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:59 AM
Are there any over the counter waxes that you would recommend? Not recommend?

What about car wash soap?

Old 09-29-2010, 04:23 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
May I answer that?

I recommend Meguiars NXT 2.0 Tech Wax (liquid) for a casual "detailer" - i.e. a "wash and wax" job done by hand. For soap, I like Meguiar's Gold Class.

As a suggestion, read the Detailing Sticky at the top of the forum. It's a bit dated, but the principles are still quite valid.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RollingRock
Thanks for the response, would be interested in your take on these products, I and many here are not familiar with them. Having done some work at local dealers myself correcting others mistakes I have seen first hand what happens at even high end dealers. You will have to accept the fact that dealer detailer's have a rep as being "prep and make ready"....this is very different than correction and show quality. This is a forum is to share ideas and methods and best practices as glc has eluded to. This forum has a very wide range of ability and expectations. There are times when "sale ready" is the goal and times when "perfection" is the goal. The difference in those two extremes is huge and thus the products that can be used is equally as large. One of the great things about this site is that the members here have unparalleled experience in a wide range of products and expectations and will tailor responses based on the goal of the poster seeking advice. As you are well aware, you can go very deep in the detailing world and you can go lightly. There are ways to cover and there are ways to correct. There are also a bazillion ways to skin a cat.

The way to jump in here is to ease into it if you will. It's not uncommon for someone to "drive by" post here and to be honest, it's hard to differentiate yourself from them unless you provide a little background to your experience. The way to do that is to showcase your work.

For me and others here, we can post reflecto shots all day long of cars/trucks we've worked on, but does that show our skill and depth of knowledge in the products and surface we are working on? Not really.

Sorry for the rant, but what i am trying to say is, we're all here to learn and share, but posts about products that no one has heard of with little background have shallow merit until proven otherwise.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers

RR
Very well stated JP. I totally agree.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you need to understand and appreciate that many people here who haunt the detailing forum have years of experience (learned thru trial and error) and have developed their own detailing methodology and have adopted products that work best for them. Have they tried all the products out there? No, there's too many. Do they all agree on which products are the absolute BEST? No, no such thing; many products out there are damn good. In fact, what works great for one guy, might be detested by another (Megs #105, for example. Some swear BY it; some swear AT it).

So, for you to come here and laud a line of products that are certainly obscure to most of us, without posting examples of what it can do, is going to P.O. some of us. What I have found is that NO line of products has the "best" of everything. That's why I use Meguiars #105 and #205, but also use Danase Wet Glaze, Blackfire Wet Diamond and Four Star Ultimate Detailer. Most here, however, are pretty open minded and are always looking for "the next best thing."

In addition, lots of people post on detailing sites and in U-Tube videos about how great their "detailing" work is, and make fools of themselves by being hacks. Making a vehicle look shiny from 20' away is NOT detailing. And unfortunately, dealership detailing is universally known to be probably the WORST of the WORST for hacking up their cars, both new and used.

So, let's see some of your work and what tools you use and which of these products you mention as being great. We're always willing to learn.

Jim

Old 09-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another point I might make is the difference between "making a vehicle look good by covering imperfections up" and "making a vehicle look good by correcting defects." There are any number of products and individuals out there that can hide defects temporarily (glaze for instance) and a vehicle looks drop dead gorgeous - even up close sometimes. The problem with most of these "quickie" products is that they last a week or two. Then you're right back to the original mess.

A true detailer can do either quickie work or real correction. (They hate quickies though.) The real pros around this site have taught me a ton about products, processes, pressure, pads, and patience - among other things. Want to see how much I've learned? Pop over to The Detailer's Cafe and look my stuff up. No glazes or quickie products were used. Oh yea, and the real pros from this site post over there too.

Looking forward to seeing your stuff and sharing information in the future with you!

Old 09-30-2010, 11:53 PM
Thought we had cleared this whole issue up of having to "prove myself" Im not detailing anyone's truck here just offering advice/opinions. I know the difference between a quickie and a true good job, and that not only one company has all the right products, and all that. I think after reading several posts about how touchy people are here about people being able to actually speak without being bashed about detailing method's has been quite clear. Im offering advice, not being interviewed for a job. Im a very nice guy, but this whole interrogation thing is getting old really quick. I've detailed some of the worst, and by now find detailing to be quite routine. If you have any questions on anything feel free to ask but I dont need anyone else to point out different perspectives of detailing, or try to make points. Unless this thread moves in a forward direction I suggest a moderator shut it down, not looking for an argument. I however will post before and after pictures here or in another thread soon. Hope everyone is understanding to what im saying. I come here to learn and to respect others, not to tear them apart so I expect the same from others.

And to jaymz, I too have many years of experience and have developed my own ways, I know what your saying dont need to be told what I already know. Was throwing auto magic out there cause I have had good luck with it and thought people might be interested in trying out what they have to offer, I know there might be better products, and that we dont only use automagic ourselves even, but thanks for your concern.

Last edited by 97liftedblue; 09-30-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by 97liftedblue
Thought we had cleared this whole issue up of having to "prove myself" Im not detailing anyone's truck here just offering advice/opinions. I know the difference between a quickie and a true good job, and that not only one company has all the right products, and all that. I think after reading several posts about how touchy people are here about people being able to actually speak without being bashed about detailing method's has been quite clear. Im offering advice, not being interviewed for a job. Im a very nice guy, but this whole interrogation thing is getting old really quick. I've detailed some of the worst, and by now find detailing to be quite routine. If you have any questions on anything feel free to ask but I dont need anyone else to point out different perspectives of detailing, or try to make points. Unless this thread moves in a forward direction I suggest a moderator shut it down, not looking for an argument. I however will post before and after pictures here or in another thread soon. Hope everyone is understanding to what im saying. I come here to learn and to respect others, not to tear them apart so I expect the same from others.

And to jaymz, I too have many years of experience and have developed my own ways, I know what your saying dont need to be told what I already know. Was throwing auto magic out there cause I have had good luck with it and thought people might be interested in trying out what they have to offer, I know there might be better products, and that we dont only use automagic ourselves even, but thanks for your concern.
Deep Breath....tap the brakes a little. Keep in mind you walked into a hornets nest with a bat. We can appreciate the offer for advice, its always welcomed. That being said, most here have not heard of the products you pushed and many elders around here well, they've been around the block or two if you get my drift. What I would do is again, ease in to it here. Earn your strips, keep posting but when you jump in and say "I have 13 years" of experience and I like XYZ products, be prepared to back it up.

I have no doubt you are passionate about what you do, that is a great trait here at F150OL and other sites, we need more of that. Sorry for the interigation but look at from our eyes. We see drive by posts EVERY day here...most without merit. We're all friends, with our OCD affliction. It would be helpful to see some of your work and I can promise you, it will be constructive unless you post shameless photos.....

No one here likes shameless reflections photos, they are usually ridiculed and torn apart. (insert sarcasm) To lighting it up, I will show you what I am talking about. No on wants to see this crap here

Old 10-01-2010, 12:15 AM
Well I hope I didn't mis-type and say I have 13 years of experience. I started detailing at 13 for my family, with 2 very harsh critics over my head that made me keep doing things over and over til they were just right. But Im a college student 7 years of experience, so yes Im young and go into most situations wiith a bit of ****iness compared to most, but that just comes with being young. I understand why everyone's being touchy, but haven't seen people this concerned over anything this little you'd have thought I brought up Obama.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you could also talk about the best drying towel you have ever used.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by LTMARK
you could also talk about the best drying towel you have ever used.
LTMark +1 well played sir.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:48 AM
Well I hope I didn't mis-type and say I have 13 years of experience. I started detailing at 13 for my family, with 2 very harsh critics over my head that made me keep doing things over and over til they were just right. But Im a college student 7 years of experience, so yes Im young and go into most situations wiith a bit of ****iness compared to most, but that just comes with being young. I understand why everyone's being touchy, but haven't seen people this concerned over anything this little you'd have thought I brought up Obama.

you're ok bro....

Old 10-01-2010, 12:49 AM
Depends what we are drying.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:28 AM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
Depends what we are drying.
Not trying to be a smartass, but why should that make a difference? Educate me, please.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:40 AM
If im drying off a dash and I dont want to have to do it twice, I dont want to use a terry cloth or regular white towel like we have at work because it will leave behind white particles and strands that just lead to more cleaning. If im doing a door jam in same situation it was also leave behind same residue but in my opinion is always the first thing to use when cleaning one then once I have it nearly perfected I go back over it with an old shammy to keep any dust, dirt, or water spots left over. Definitely dont want to use a plain white towel on paint to dry it, so what are we drying?

Quick Reply: Detailing