Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by glc
Not trying to be a smartass, but why should that make a difference? Educate me, please.
Upoh! What have I started now?

Old 10-02-2010, 02:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You seem like an enthusiastic nice Guy but....

Originally Posted by 97liftedblue
Thought we had cleared this whole issue up of having to "prove myself" Im not detailing anyone's truck here just offering advice/opinions. I know the difference between a quickie and a true good job, and that not only one company has all the right products, and all that. I think after reading several posts about how touchy people are here about people being able to actually speak without being bashed about detailing method's has been quite clear. Im offering advice, not being interviewed for a job. Im a very nice guy, but this whole interrogation thing is getting old really quick. I've detailed some of the worst, and by now find detailing to be quite routine. If you have any questions on anything feel free to ask but I dont need anyone else to point out different perspectives of detailing, or try to make points. Unless this thread moves in a forward direction I suggest a moderator shut it down, not looking for an argument. I however will post before and after pictures here or in another thread soon. Hope everyone is understanding to what im saying. I come here to learn and to respect others, not to tear them apart so I expect the same from others.
Please dont take too much offense to how your comments were received but we try to walk the talk and learn...not just talk. Some here are professional detailers and they often get calls to do Special work for upscale dealerships on upscale vehicles. If you look around you will see the work (photo post) of the very people you seek to give advice to.

It is common knowledge that most dealerships at best make cars appearance ready for sale. I have personally seen them also nearly ruin brand new paint finishes. In this forum most here have had bad experiences with Dealer Detailing and view Dealership Detailing somewhat negatively.

Your first sentence in (one of?) your first post in the Care & Detailing section tells us you are a Dealership Detailer. Strike 1.

Then you name a dealership detail product and say it's "the best" and will destroy anything at places people may buy products from with no proof or walking of talk. Strike 2.

Then you insult the Detailing section and whomever took the time to write the Dictionary. Strike 3.

Now you say you "don't need to hear anyone else"?

Are you being insulted or could you maybe be insulting?

You say you only wanted to offer advice but it's a 2 way street. If you look around many who have spoken up in this post have posted their work, taught and learned a few things not just talked.

Question. If someone offered you detailing advice without you asking after insulting you, would you listen?

We learn and share here.
Nobody just talks.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:47 AM
So you're 20 and in school? Where do you go and what are you majoring in? We've got a bunch of college students on the site, some of them are actually quite knowledgeable about their trucks as well.

If im drying off a dash and I dont want to have to do it twice, I dont want to use a terry cloth or regular white towel like we have at work because it will leave behind white particles and strands that just lead to more cleaning. If im doing a door jam in same situation it was also leave behind same residue but in my opinion is always the first thing to use when cleaning one then once I have it nearly perfected I go back over it with an old shammy to keep any dust, dirt, or water spots left over. Definitely dont want to use a plain white towel on paint to dry it, so what are we drying?
So you guys use terry cloth or regular white towels when detailing at work?

97liftedblue... I think you're digging yourself a deeper hole. Have you actually dug around the C&D forums to see what kind of work people are doing? You might actually be surprised at the skill of some people around here.

- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 10-02-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:12 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
The talent on here is insane. It's not all talk either. The king of this forum knows a thing or two as well

I am semi OCD, but no where near them... yet You need to get some work up man to be taken seriously. The work and transformations are insane.

Just to show this:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ca...-cooper-s.html

Old 10-03-2010, 05:48 PM
You all are pathetic. We use regular white towels when doing an initial clean on interior, then we use microfiber towels when detailing them. And NCSU im not digging myself a deeper hole, im laughing at people like you judging someone's detailing jobs by a dam* post. Im very good at what I do, and have never had someone tell me I dont.
And OLD DOGG, get a life..not to be rude but you seriously have nothing better to do with your life than come on here and spend your time trying to find faults in what I say? Thats awfully cute of you to care so much, but I can already tell that you don't know half as much as what you think you do. I've been to alot of detail shops, seen alot of their work and despite what alot of you have mentioned the place I work at far exceeds the work of the detail shops locally. Nice try on the whole trying to prove that im bad at detailing or don't know what im talking about, but when you say everyone has their own methods then you bash someone else's you obviously haven't been around many detailers.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Am I sensing some anger management issues now? Chillax and post pics.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:35 PM
I've been detailing cars since I was 13 years old professionaly at my families dealerships, and now at one of the largest dealerships in Missouri. If you have any questions on how to do any certain thing just shoot me a question, thought I'd offer my help since there seems to be alot of questions. By the way, all cleaning products we use we get through Auto Magic, theyre by far the best products out and destroy anything you will get at autozone or O'reillys.
Where in Missouri are you at?

Old 10-03-2010, 10:05 PM
And OLD DOGG, get a life..not to be rude but you seriously have nothing better to do with your life than come on here and spend your time trying to find faults in what I say? Thats awfully cute of you to care so much, but I can already tell that you don't know half as much as what you think you do.
Ok, I give.
Since you have put me in my place....
Good luck young buck!

"Argument is meant to reveal the truth, not to create it."

Old 10-03-2010, 10:13 PM
You all are pathetic. We use regular white towels when doing an initial clean on interior, then we use microfiber towels when detailing them. And NCSU im not digging myself a deeper hole, im laughing at people like you judging someone's detailing jobs by a dam* post. Im very good at what I do, and have never had someone tell me I dont.
And OLD DOGG, get a life..not to be rude but you seriously have nothing better to do with your life than come on here and spend your time trying to find faults in what I say? Thats awfully cute of you to care so much, but I can already tell that you don't know half as much as what you think you do. I've been to alot of detail shops, seen alot of their work and despite what alot of you have mentioned the place I work at far exceeds the work of the detail shops locally. Nice try on the whole trying to prove that im bad at detailing or don't know what im talking about, but when you say everyone has their own methods then you bash someone else's you obviously haven't been around many detailers.
As an FYI, OldDogg is very respected here and other sites...the man has skills.

He's been more than helpful to many people here sharing his experience and knowledge in the industry. Ease up a little as you are digging that hole a tad.

Why don't we just move along....post those photos when you get a chance.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Wow . I step away for a bit, and look what i miss.

In a nutshell, it is easy. Advice here is welcome. Doesn't have to agree with everyone, but you do need to actually know what you are talking about to give it. The reason people ask for pictures of your work is so they can figure out if you know what you are talking about, or you are just pulling crap out of your rear.

Some people are a little funny when taking advice about how to care for one of their biggest investments. Sometimes they actually like to make sure the person giving the advice is qualified to do so, and not just talking crap.

While 99% of dealership detailers are hacks that don't know how to do anything but damage paint, there are a few that actually do very nice work. My first mentor in this business was a lot porter that was one of the best detailers i have ever known, and he taught me a lot of what i know back when there was a peanut farmer in the white house.

Some of us have been around a long time. We welcome advice and opines here, as long as it is good, solid, tried and true advice that the average driveway detailer can make good use of, and won't cause long term damage.

Your original posts came off pretty strong, but it is obvious by your later replies it was unintentional.

Some of us have been detailing professionally longer than you have been alive. We see tons of drive by posters that claim to know how to do things, but most of them don't. The ones that do allow their knowledge and the photos of their work to speak for them.

I look forward to seeing yours.

Last edited by Gipraw; 10-03-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:13 AM
Gipraw, I appreciated your posts. I am going to put pictures up soon, just been super busy at work had a sale last week and sold 10+ cars a day, not counting trade-ins. I'll see what I can get done this week.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:59 AM
Auto Magic is primarily a dealer company, I honestly am not sure if you can order it online, or find it in any stores
Auto Magic now has an "e-store" on their website.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:02 AM
Just seems to me that someone who has been a "professional detailer" for so long would have a handful of pic's saved on their computer. After all...your Resume' is basically your pictures right?

Old 10-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Old 10-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Old Dogg™
I think you meant

Quick Reply: Detailing