Hazing

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hazing

My '07 Scab has a horrible looking haze problem. The paint is in good shape overall, and the only thing I've done to it (purchased in august) is an initial hand wash and good waxing. I've since hand washed ever week or so, but after washing and in the sun I notice what I would best describe as hazing. Sorry no pics, I'll try to get some up the next time I wash. Last week I was the unfortunate receiver of a piece of plywood to the winshield while driving on the highway. This caused a decent scratch across the hood which I was able to remove with Meguiers Ultimate Compound. I figured I would also try the Meguiers on the drivers side door to see if it solved the haze and swirl mark problems, but it didn't help one bit. Any suggestions? I wash wax and use Meguiers Ultimate Compound all by hand, no RO buffer yet. This spring I plan to wash, clay bar, Meguiers Ultimate Compound with buffer, Polish with buffer and wax with buffer. Does that sound like a good paint correction sequence??

Old 10-29-2010, 11:20 AM
What car wash soap are you using when you wash the truck and are you washing the truck in direct sun?

Old 10-29-2010, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by dsq3973
What car wash soap are you using when you wash the truck and are you washing the truck in direct sun?
I've been using Turtle Wax Zip-Wax car wash. And yes, Its usually washed in direct sun, unless of course its cloudy out.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:50 PM
Sounds like you have a couple things going on. I would switch to a car wash soap that does not have wax in it and wash in the early evening or in the morning when the sun is not baking the water and wax to your truck before you can rinse it. The other thing that might be going on is you may have some seriously hard water that is leaving the haze on your truck.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:18 PM
post photos, cannot help until we see that.

Close ups and medium shots.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by dsq3973
Sounds like you have a couple things going on. I would switch to a car wash soap that does not have wax in it and wash in the early evening or in the morning when the sun is not baking the water and wax to your truck before you can rinse it. The other thing that might be going on is you may have some seriously hard water that is leaving the haze on your truck.
Yes, we have ridiculously hard water. I'm on a well and live about 300 yards from what used to be a limestone quarry. Any suggestions on what to do about the hard water, other than wash my truck elsewhere?

Old 10-30-2010, 09:12 AM
If your on a well.... Get a good salt pellet softener. They make a salt block drop in unit and a pellet circulatory unit. Both work really well for clearing up hard water. I would also check at a good well digging company for a really good sediment and hard water purifier/filter. These things can get pretty expensive, but you don't have to go with the best. A good $200 one will be fine for many years. This will help with the feel of the water and filter a lot of the minerals that are giving you hard water deposites. Those two items can help you plumbing last ages and will clear up your water a great deal. You very well might be waxing iron ferrite and limestone and various types of ore into your paint. (and your drinking it). The setup I went with came from the well digging company that drilled for me. A really good setup will cost around 800-1000 bucks. I'd stick with a system around 300-500 bucks. But it depends on the size of your home and the depth of the well. And if your that close to a limestone quarry then it's always shifting, compressing, moving under your feet. Plus there are dozens of cavern collapses going on near limestone sites. And that will effect your water on a daily basis. Go talk to a well drilling company. It's pretty interesting and they are usually very knowledgeable. They will hook you up.
Good luck bud!

Old 10-30-2010, 10:59 AM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
What about washing it with Optimum No Rinse, and filtering the water that you mix it with?

Old 10-30-2010, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by glc
What about washing it with Optimum No Rinse, and filtering the water that you mix it with?
not a bad idea there.

Wondering, if the water is as bad and this is the cause of the hazing, then the op is got a big project on his hands to correct.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the replys!! My hard water definitely sounds like at least part of my problem. As far as correcting my water system, thats not going too happen. My wife and I currently rent my mother-in-laws house while we get back on our feet from her completing her masters degree. We will probably be out by the summer, so I guess I can look forward to cleaner water then, lol. Any temporary suggestions until then? And what is this no rinse you speak of?

Last edited by BigTerp; 10-30-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:36 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
Old 10-31-2010, 08:50 AM
not to threadjack but it appears that someone attended UMCP. i went there in the early 90's.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by papajohn
not to threadjack but it appears that someone attended UMCP. i went there in the early 90's.
Awesome!! Yeah man, I graduated in '04. My wife and I still make it down to all the football and alot of the basketball games.

Quick Reply: Hazing