tire shine messing up paint?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tire shine messing up paint?

I just bought a 2011 expedition Limited. it is the tri-coat white. Anyway this thing is less than a week old and only 450 miles on it. I washed it this weekend and there are little yellow dots all over the paint around the wheel wells and fenders that will not wash or buff out. I took it back to the dealership and they are looking at fixing it under warrenty. they said it looks like the tire shine spun off the wheels and imbeded itself in the clear coat. I have never personally seen this happen or even heard of it. Anyone else ever seen or heard of this? maybe certain brands to stay away from? Seems like it's an issue with the paint or clearcoat rather than tire shine.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:26 PM
I've never noticed any problems. I've used black magic in spray, and I believe the Gel I have is armoral brand.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Sounds more like rail dust. If anything, the tire shine would stain the paint and make it darker where the sling was.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:45 PM
did u get to close to a freshly painted middle of the road yellow line?

Old 11-16-2010, 09:16 AM
no, they are like a rust color. They definately seem like they were caused by tire shine slinging up on it. Plus if it was a yellow line it would have just been on one side of the truck. it is on all 4 corners.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I fail to see how slinging tire shine could "embed" itself in properly applied/cured paint. Damn dealerships will tell a customer just about anything; was this a salesman who told you this? 99% of them are idiots. scares me to think of what they'll do to fix it.

Are they chips or bumps? If they were bumps, I'd try a DA and some paint cleaning compound.

Jim

Old 11-17-2010, 12:51 AM
Old 11-18-2010, 04:42 PM
I tried to buff it out and it would not come off and then the paint came off easier than i have ever seen. I was thinking some sort of issue with the curing of the paint or the prep work. it is only on the plastic trim. I told them to get me a new truck or get new plastics and properly paint them. They ended up taking it to the body shop for them to sand them down and repaint them. I am taking a paint and body guy with me that i know to help me inspect it when i get it back.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:44 AM
Originally Posted by roushstage2
Sounds more like rail dust.
Originally Posted by lost cause
no, they are like a rust color.
You need a claybar.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lost cause
I tried to buff it out and it would not come off and then the paint came off easier than i have ever seen. I was thinking some sort of issue with the curing of the paint or the prep work. it is only on the plastic trim.
Quite possibly a sign of improperly mixed or cured paint based on what you said. That's the only way I could see any kind of tire dressing causing a problem. Glad it was just the trim. If it were the paint on the actual body, you wouldn't like the standard Ford warranty fix - repainting your truck.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:51 AM
If the truck had "bad" paint, why wouldn't you like them to repaint it?

Old 11-22-2010, 07:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by roushstage2
If the truck had "bad" paint, why wouldn't you like them to repaint it?
Because no dealer will ever be able to paint a vehicle in such a way that it meets all factory paint performance specifications and / or so that one cannot tell it's been painted. Remember, when the factory painted it, it was a "body in white." When the dealer paints it, they'll have masked off all sorts of stuff they don't want to go through the expense of removing. (That's how you'll be able to tell it's been painted.)

Oh yea, and either way, it will clobber the resale value of the vehicle.

Quick Reply: tire shine messing up paint?