Spotted glass......HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2001, 04:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Spotted glass......HELP!!!

My '97 F-150 has awful water spots etched into the glass. The rear glass is almost impossible to see through at night because of it. I even used rubbing compound w/ an orbital buffer and they're still there...I know how to prevent them but they were like this when I bought the truck less than a year ago...I'm at a loss on how to remove them...any suggestions?? Thanks...

Old 02-01-2001, 04:28 AM
J&JHalo00150
Have you tried a 50/50 mix of warm water and vinegar yet?

Old 02-01-2001, 02:37 PM
Better yet, use straight white vinegar. What you got on your glass are mineral deposits.

You could try a commercial product like CLR, but you gotta be real careful with it 'cause you don't want to get it on anything but the glass. White vinegar is slower, but safer to use.

Old 02-01-2001, 03:30 PM
Have you tried a claybar yet? I had the same and it took a bit of rubbing but the clay took the spots right off. You'd be surprised.
Thanks

------------------
J Randall
2001 F-150 SC Flare 5.4L ORP 4X4 Az Beige

Old 02-01-2001, 04:54 PM
Has anyone tried Rain-X glass polish. I got some a while back but haven't tried it yet. Is it any good?

Hobbit

------------------
99 XLT,4.6L Auto,4X4,tow pkge,Factory Side Steps and Mudflaps, K&N filter,BugflectorII, Amazon Green/Silver, Pace Edwards Rolltop Cover.

Old 02-01-2001, 07:46 PM
Use a jewelry-cleaning rag (often called a 'rouge-rag' -- due to one side being impregnated with a polishing compound) and rub.

Scratches and minor imperfections in tempered glass are polished out by holding the glass against a huge cotton-wheel 'chalked' with red-rouge.

You can also scrub the window with a Brillo-pad (soaped and wet, of course) to remove hard-water spots. If you're squeemish about the latter method -- rup the snot out of the window with wadded-up newspaper and window-cleaner.

Old 02-04-2001, 12:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I have used the Rain-X glass polish in the past..and it did work for me. Luckily, I have not had to use anything like it recently.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with super engine cooling/auxiliary transmission cooling HD package, Heavy duty shocks, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, FORD bedliner, FORD black tubular cab steps, K&N air filter, mar-hyde rubberized undercoating, Modine climate filtration system, Bugflector II, Mobil 1 oil, build 7/2000

Old 02-11-2001, 01:52 AM
Hey I had to change my name 'cause I lost my password for the other one(Sweeteffie). I tried the white vinegar...nothing. Did'nt do anything...I can't find the Rain-X polish around here. I really think the spots are etched in the glass...Would an SoS scrub pad be too harsh to use? If that won't work I will probably take it to the glass shop to see if they can polish it out..Thanks for any help guys...

------------------
'97 F-150 Flairside 4x4. 4.6 Auto. No mods yet except duals w/ Flowmasters. Just you wait though!!

Old 02-11-2001, 09:54 AM
Thumbs up

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hobbit:
Has anyone tried Rain-X glass polish. I got some a while back but haven't tried it yet. Is it any good?

Hobbit

</font>
I don't know where you live, but I've used Rain-X extensively when I lived in the midwest. And I do apply it every once n a while here in Arizona. It is so good in the Midwest, I didn't need to use window wipers.
It blasts water particles into pieces. It also helps Bug guts from sticking to anything.

Old 02-11-2001, 05:19 PM
I know of two things you can try. One of them sounds kinda funny so I'll save it for last.

1) There is a product out there called 'simichrome'. I bought mine at a hardware store. It is an extremely light polish that removes scratches from clear plastics. It should work well very well on safety glass.

2) Toothpaste. The kind with a very slight abrasive in it. This is an old trick I picked up somewhere.

Old 02-12-2001, 07:41 AM
Happened to see a handyman segment on the news over the weekend and the guy demonstrated a brass cleaning product called "Brasso" to deep clean your windshield. Looked like it worked well.

Good luck.

Old 02-12-2001, 07:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

#0000 steel wool and glass cleaner,works every time,,,,98

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
Yokahama AVS/ST's
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk .powdercoat
Clear front corners
Stillen Quad light air dam, sweet!!
Euro taillights
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
[b]Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
Viper alarm
On the way/wheels,tires, etc..etc.......
the monochromatic boogie is done,cool!.
Come see my new pictures@ www.my-f150.com

officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!
Had to take the picture out,it was way too out of date,,,,98

Old 03-04-2001, 09:53 PM
I had the same problem. We have hard water here and I brought it to a local detail shop, left it for an hour and they did a great job. I didn't ask them what they used. It was not expensive ($30), but my windows and mirror were pretty bad.

------------------

Old 03-07-2001, 08:50 AM
Suspended For Violation of Vendor Rules
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BlueOvalBolt:
Happened to see a handyman segment on the news over the weekend and the guy demonstrated a brass cleaning product called "Brasso" to deep clean your windshield. Looked like it worked well.

Good luck.
</font>
brasso is better than toothpaste. did you know you can use brasso on cd's to remove scratches! bet you didn't...

Old 03-07-2001, 08:29 PM
Every ex-military man has intimate experience with Brasso (and Kiwi).

Quick Reply: Spotted glass......HELP!!!