How do you get "Spiderweb" and birdpoo evidence out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2001, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post How do you get "Spiderweb" and birdpoo evidence out?

First off, I take relatively good care of the paint. I hand wash with a lambs wool type of sponge using Turtle Wax car wash soap. I dry with a chamois type cloth to prevent scratches and wax with McQuires Gold Class liquid wax and a clean terry cotton towel.

I'm working on black, so I know it'll be tougher. Well my GTP is having paint issues; spiderweb scratches and a big spot left by a bird dropping that etched itself into the clearcoat. The waxing has helped but how can I make it better?

------------------
The GO 4D IT SuperCrew '01 SuperCrew XLT 4x2 (Generation II): 5.4L, Limited Slip, Black, 5-Spoke Rims, Dark Cloth, Capt. Chairs, Power Seat, Steps, Extender, Moonroof; Ford/Duraliner, K&N filter, Ford mudflaps, Tinted windows, Jason Dimension hard tonneau.

(for sale) The GO 4D IT Ranger: '93 Ranger XLT SuperCab 4x2: 65K miles; 4.0L; Limited Slip; Black; Alum. Rims; A.C.; Power windows, mirrors, and locks; CD Player; Hard Tonneau; Running Boards.

If it weren't for trucks, we wouldn't have tailgates.

Old 03-26-2001, 11:10 AM
I use Zaino on my black truck. The Z-5 covers up the spider scratches very well. It's non-abrasive, so it COVERS them up as opposed to removing them. Other than that, I think you'd have to use an abrasive product (such as a pre-wax cleaner or body scrub) to get them out.

I'd question the chamois too. I only use a clean cotton towel to dry my truck and wash it after every use.

As for the bird droppings, I think you're out of luck here. Nothing that I've used will take them out except wet sanding with 1500 grit paper and then buffing it out. I think the best solution to bird problems is to carry a bottle of Meguiars Quick detail (or something along those lines) to clean up the crap as soon as you notice it.

Best of luck...

------------------
VENOM 99
  • Y2K F-150 SuperCab XLT 4x4
  • 5.4L, 4R70W, 3.55LS ORP, Trailer Tow
  • Extang BlackMax tonneau
  • BedRug
  • Alpine CDM-7857 CD/Receiver
  • Cobra 18 WX ST Weatherband CB Radio
  • envious of those with the chrome steel 5-spoke factory wheels

www.students.uiuc.edu/~cellariu

Old 03-26-2001, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the info. I have a synthetic chamois. I like how it works. I'll try the towel though and the Z5.

Part of my problem is I think the bad paint has alot to do with the finish from the factory. If I may paraphrase Wayne Cambell, "It sucks donkey." It'll be smooth as glass in one place, then have ripples in another. I've generally been very unhappy with the fit and finish of this car. It does run out good though with that supercharger under the hood.

Old 03-27-2001, 12:14 AM
I'll second just about everything Venom said. There is however a 2000 wet/dry sandpaper that I would suggest if you go that route, although it should be a LAST RESORT. Once that stuff etches through the paint, you're pretty much out of luck.
You might also try a synthetic chamois, they're very soft and you can throw them in the washer after every use also.

------------------
1999 Lariat Super Cab, S.B. 5.4L, 3.55 LS
and every option but the leaky slider window.
Bright red w/ gold 2-tone, Leather Captain's Chairs
Mods: Duraliner bedliner, Bugflector II, Hide-a-hooks.
& a leeetle chrome tip on the exhaust.

Old 03-28-2001, 12:37 AM
Location: Beautiful Fort Worth in the Great State of Texas which is part of The Best Country on this Planet Earth, The U.S.A.!
I use the cotton towel also but I am always unhappy with the "Fuzz" that gets left behind.
Does anyone have a trick to prevent this?

Old 03-28-2001, 09:02 AM
Smile

Hey B777!

Zaino makes a gloss enhancer that's supposed to cut down on the static. That would probably help with the "fuzzies."

I just ordered some myself, so I don't know if it works yet. All of their other product claims are true so far though!

------------------
* 2000 F-150 XLT Black FS; 5.4L; 4x4 ORP
* Da Flip Chip! * 3.55 Limited Slip * Stepups
* Sliding Rear Window * 6-Way Power Seat
* Remote Keyless Entry
* Lund Trident Bug Shield * Custom Exhaust
* Fumoto Oil Drain Plug Valve (a must for do-it-yourselfers!)
* Wise Bedrug

So many mods, so little cash! On the up side, no wife to create a filibuster.

Old 03-28-2001, 03:08 PM
Lightbulb

I have found that diapers don't leave any fuzz behind. Sears sells the Gerber brand. Look for the "super absorbent" (of course!) packs of 3. Launder first. I use them to dry, and buff-out my wax. Works for me!

Quick Reply: How do you get "Spiderweb" and birdpoo evidence out?