Clay bar ?s

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2001, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Clay bar ?s

Hello all, what is stuff you spray on your truck when you use a clay bar? Some guy told me it was mineral spirits and water. If that's true and I wanted to make my own, what ratio of spirits to water do I use? With the Meguiars clay bar, you use their Quick Detailer. Where can I get a clay bar? Every place I've looked didn't have it. Sorry if this has been asked b4. Peace out.

------------------
1999 XLT SC, bright red, 4.2l, 5 speed, MAAP stainless nerfs, Prime Designs bug deflector, Astro Euro-Lid II, Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil and Transmission Fluid. Check it out at:
http://www.ownersite.com/OwnersitePu...fm?veh_id=3415

Old 03-20-2001, 02:38 PM
I've used clay bars by Meguiars and Clay Magic. The Meguiars bar was complete crap - it smeared all over my paint no matter how much "Quick Detail" I used. There's even a few spots on the hood that I tried to remove bugs, but only ended up griding something into the paint that I can't remove (even with course compound).

The Clay Magic, on the other hand, works GREAT. It ttok off everything with ease - embedded particles and BUGS! I used the liquid they suggest in the "Just Spray and Clay" kit.

Although the Meguiars is convenient to buy (by going to your local AutoZone or NAPA) and less expensive, I'd recommend the Clay Magic bar (available through their web site).

------------------
VENOM 99
  • Y2K F-150 SuperCab XLT 4x4
  • 5.4L, 4R70W, 3.55LS ORP, Trailer Tow
  • Extang BlackMax tonneau
  • BedRug
  • Alpine CDM-7857 CD/Receiver
  • Cobra 18 WX ST Weatherband CB Radio
  • envious of those with the chrome steel 5-spoke factory wheels

www.students.uiuc.edu/~cellariu

Old 03-20-2001, 02:43 PM
Thanks Venom, I'll give it a try.

Old 03-20-2001, 09:09 PM
Speaking of Clay Magic, my latest order just came from the friendly UPS man this afternoon. It looks like I have to spend some time with "the other woman" tomorrow afternoon...

Old 03-21-2001, 10:56 AM
Lightbulb

mtucker: I use the "erazer" product (my source was www.autofanatics.com). I ran out of the spray lubricant and called autofanatics to get just the replacement. He said he has a Porsche Carrera and he uses plain water! I was skeptical but tried it. I have a hose head that has a "mist" setting. I keep it on constantly and move the clay bar with NO problems or mishaps! As long as the water source is constantly misting the surface and I keep the bar moving, it just gliiiiiides over my paint as if i'm using the expensive lubricant.
I can't say it would work with other brands of clay bars...I've got no experience with them.

Old 03-21-2001, 11:31 AM
mtucker. Want a cheap replacement for the recommended lubricants? Try 10 parts water and 1 part Armor All in a spray bottle, it's slick as Owl snot. Spray it, clay it and rinse. Ok, it's not as cheap as sundog's water but it's close.

------------------
1999 Lariat Super Cab, S.B. 5.4L, 3.55 LS
and every option but the leaky slider window.
Bright red w/ gold 2-tone, Leather Captain's Chairs
Mods: Duraliner bedliner, Bugflector II, Hide-a-hooks.
& a leeetle chrome tip on the exhaust.

Old 03-21-2001, 08:39 PM
Cool

How about just some car wash soap in some water w/a spray bottle. That is what Zaino recommends with their clay bars. Nice and slick.

------------------
2000 F150 XLT 4x4 Short Bed. Amazon Green, 5.4L, SuperCab, ORP, Tow Package, Sliding Rear Window, Electronic Shift, Keyless Entry, LT265-70-17 Tires, Clarion Pro Audio, Herculiner Bedliner, Air Silencer Removed.

1994 SVT Mustang Cobra. #1032 of 6009. Black coupe with black leather int., 3.73 rear, Bassani Exhaust, Aluminum D/S, Bridgestone RE-71 255-45-ZR17

My Home Page

Old 03-22-2001, 10:18 AM
Thanks for all of the great answers guys. But since I am new at this, I'm a little more confused. If you use something like soapy water for a lubricant, how does the clay grab or pull the grit out of the paint?

------------------
1999 XLT SC, bright red, 4.2l, 5 speed, MAAP stainless nerfs, Prime Designs bug deflector, Astro Euro-Lid II, Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil and Transmission Fluid. Check it out at:
http://www.ownersite.com/OwnersitePu...fm?veh_id=3415

Old 03-22-2001, 10:30 AM
Lightbulb

check this out:
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/cleanwitclay.html

After reading the article I've linked, be sure to back up to the Home page and snoop around in "Car Car Tips". VERY extensive info.......It'll answer more questions than you can come up with.

All the lubricant does is allow a "cushion" for the clay bar to float over. Those gritty pieces it's picking up poke waaaaaaay up thru that little cushion. Think of them as splinters in your clear coat. If you have soapy hands, you can still feel that little splinter, can't you?

[This message has been edited by sundog7 (edited 03-22-2001).]

Old 03-25-2001, 06:29 PM
Question

I wnt to 3 parts stores looking for a clay bar today and only found Auto Zone to have the Maguires "Quick Clay" kit. I bought it and tried it on my hood. As mantioned before, no matter how much I kept the hood moist. the bar kept digging in and leaving nasty scuffs that were a bitch to get out. After my first unimpressed clay bar attempt, I layed on two coats of Blue Coral Autofom and it shined nice. Still have those darn water spots though. Followed directions to a tee. Is there a better approach??. Not really impressed, but maybe it was the way I "bared" it..........
Rick..

------------------
"99" F-150 4x2,SC, med red / silver, 4.2L, auto, 3.55's, 265x16's premium snd w/cd, 4 wheel antilocks, leer "too heavy" matching cap, Mobil 1.
"Gutless thing!!"

Old 03-25-2001, 06:34 PM
Wink

That Autopia sites instructions are detailed well as I followed them. I just wonder if that $5 bottle of Maguires polish and shine that lubes the paint for the bar is just water. Not educated in this technique too well yet, will have to try again I guess!.
Rick..

Old 03-25-2001, 09:49 PM
Thumbs down

Karick -

That's exactly the same thing that happened to me. The Meguiars kit really sucks (for lack of a better term). It smudged terribly (regardless of how much lube was there), and ended up damaging the paint on my hood where is smudged the worst. Not even 3M rubbing compound would take it out - it's like there's something embedded in the clear coat.

Nothing but Clay Magic for me now...

Old 03-25-2001, 11:10 PM
Yep, I'll be ordering the Clay Magic kit myself, soo much for the "discount" crap at the parts store. The only things I can seem to get a good shine with these days is Mothers Carnauba (smells good too!), or Blue Coral Autofom. I swear by em.. Clay Magic, here I come.......
Rick..

------------------
"99" F-150 4x2,SC, med red / silver, 4.2L, auto, 3.55's, 265x16's premium snd w/cd, 4 wheel antilocks, leer "too heavy" matching cap, Mobil 1.
"Gutless thing!!"

Old 03-26-2001, 03:40 PM
Thumbs up

"Mothers" has the best Clay bar kit on the market. Comes with everything you need from the pre wax stripper to slimy lubricant to the finishing wax.

I have been using this "Mothers" clay kit for years and is by far the best kit on the market....no fuss no muss and easy to find!

Old 03-28-2001, 12:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

I second the Mothers kit(HAS EVERYTHING!) The showtime quick detail spray is almost too slick though,lol.
The paint felt slick as oiled glass when I got done. Nice stuff!!,,,,,98

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
Yokahama AVS/ST's
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Clear front corners
Stillen Quad light air dam,Sweet!!
Euro taillights
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
[b]Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
Viper alarm
On the way/wheels,tires, etc..etc.......
the monochromatic boogie is done,cool!.
Come see my new pictures@ www.my-f150.com

officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!

Quick Reply: Clay bar ?s