Help with cleaning chrome wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with cleaning chrome wheels

What is the best stuff for cleaning chrome wheels? I have 20in chrome wheels that get killed in the winter. I spent several hours on them last year after winter and they never did look that good. None of the cleaning stuff i got worked. So please let me know of anything that would get the crap off my wheels. What do detail shops use?

Old 01-28-2011, 11:07 PM
When I had chrome wheels, I just used a soft haired brush, sponge, and car wash soap.

Chrome was actually the easiest to clean thus far but I did get some water spots on them at one point and polish fixed that.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:47 AM
Best bet....soap and water. I clean mine well during each wash. In between washes, I hit them with Poorboy's Spray & Wipe after hosing them down with the wand. 1 to 2 times per year, I polish them....currently using Optimum Metal Polish and a Mother's Power Cone for that.

Might want to try this as well for the deep cleanings. I just got one but haven't used it yet....too darn cold outside:

http://www.obsessivedetail.com/Ezdetailbrush.html

Old 01-29-2011, 12:52 PM
The only thing I've found that will get the lumps of brake dust off is Optimum Power Clean and never-dull wadding polish. That coupled with elbow grease can get the winter black off. After that I use water a soap for the weekly clean

Old 01-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Former Sponsor
I would check out Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner. It's very strong but safe on ALL wheel finishes. That along with a Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush is the perfect combo for cleaning dirty, neglected wheels.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:29 PM
A little trick I learned while working for a Cadillac dealer... Foaming glass cleaner and fine steel wool will remove caked on brake dust, and other stuff that wont come off with regular cleaners... This trick only works with true chrome wheels, not chrome cladded wheels.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:11 AM
Here are the wheels I have Helo Wheels HE831‏. What would be best for cleaning them? Should I try Sonax wheel cleaner, Griot's, Amazing Roll Off, or something else?

Old 02-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Former Sponsor
FWIW, heres a bit of info on our stuff:

Adam's GREEN Wheel Cleaner is a 100% water-based cleaner that safely and effectively cleans tires and all types of wheels!

Adam's GREEN Wheel Cleaner takes advantage of new breakthroughs in chemical engineering, creating a new class of non-ionic cleaner that does not release harmful zwitterions. Adam's GREEN Wheel Cleaner quickly and safely cleans tires and all types of wheels including clear coated, painted, aluminum, polished and anodized. The active ingredient in this cleaner was developed in America to replace the acids, and butyl ethers found in most tire and wheel cleaning products, which have been proven harmful to both wheels and nature.

It's an unfortunate fact that most wheel cleaners made and sold in America contain butyl or butyl ether. Although butyl is a highly effective cleaner, as well as inexpensive, it is harmful to man and the environment. Plus, butyl will white-stain aluminum and damage clear coated wheels and powder coating finishes. Butyl is also very harsh on your skin, causes respiratory distress when inhaled, and it is not readily biodegradable. Our Green Wheel Cleaner contains no butyl or petroleum distillates! Plus, our new GREEN Wheel Cleaner biodegrades 98% in less than 24 hours, protecting our surface waters from polluted storm drain runoff.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

*special thanks to Jim (Nordgrey) for the great pictures.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:30 PM
I've been following this thread just becuase I'm completely OCD about my chrome rims. First thing I did for proactive maintenance....change my brake pads. I now have Wagner Thermoquiet ceramics on the front. Makes a HUGE difference. I've also noticed that using a spray detailer at least once per week in b/w washes not only does a great job....it almost eliminates the discoloration I was experiencing that only polish would remove. Now I'm only needing to polish once per year. Again, I use Optimum Opti-Seal for a sealant...just b/c I hate having to remove wax by hand.

For cleaning, any "specialty" product, i.e. wheel cleaner from Adams or Poorboys, etc. will work. Some of the shelf products work well as well. Personally, I don't like to use agressive chemicals on my wheels; I stick to soap, water, and a good brush....followed up with a spray detailer..then sealant. However, if it's caked on real good, you'll need something more agressive.

Done ranting......good luck with your wheels.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Here's a pic of my wheels just for a reference. Sorry for so many replies....I'm bored and have had a few

Old 02-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Former Sponsor
Good point... and I'm with you 100% sealing the wheels regularly to keep them protected makes them MUCH easier to keep clean... so much so that as long as I stay on top of the sealant application on my wheels a simple soap and water cleaning (ph neutral cleaner so as not to degrade the sealant) is all it takes.

In some cases after sealing all it takes to knock the grime off is a strong blast from the hose.

Nice wheels btw.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:53 PM
Just checked out your website Dylan....pretty awesome line of products man....will have to keep you guys in mind. Appreciate your input on the forum.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:58 PM
I have to agree that a good polish/sealant makes life much easier when cleaning chrome wheels. I use Collinite's 850 metal wax with great results.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:56 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Dylan - WTF is a zwitterion?????

Old 02-12-2011, 01:21 AM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by glc
Dylan - WTF is a zwitterion?????
LOL... commonly asked question - it does sound like a made up word I'll admit.

Its essentially a dual charged particle, or in other words it carries a positive and a negative electrical charge within one molecule. Basically thats a fancy way of classifying them... they're most commonly seen in small concentrations in very aggressive cleaners as surfactants. In a wheel cleaning scenario specifically they're not good as they can haze or discolor aluminum... I believe (and I may be wrong here) they are alkaline.

Quick Reply: Help with cleaning chrome wheels