Detailing a Wakeboard Boat

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 02:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detailing a Wakeboard Boat

Here it is:

Right now it is in climate controlled storage but it needs a detail. Biggest problem is water spots on aluminum, polished aluminum, and the sides of the boat.

Seats and carpet are good to go along with the rest of interior. Any of you detailing vendors got anything good for removing baked on water spots that will work for a boat having a gel-coat? Also, the boat does have very thin hairline swirl marks on it, does a special polish/buff pad need to be used for that since it is a boat?

Old 01-30-2011, 09:37 AM
I ordered this kit from ADS when I did our Master Craft a couple years ago.
http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/m4965.html

Befores

Afters

Here is a cheap and shameless reflecto shot.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I have always heard Meguiars line for boats/water-craft is pretty good stuff. I have thought about buying some but my sea-doo is in pretty good shape. Just try to keep her washed as much as I can.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:14 AM
dsq3973, did you use a buffer?

Old 01-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Super FX4
dsq3973, did you use a buffer?
Yes I used my Makita Rotory with a Lake Purple Foamed Wool pad it took me about 20-25 hours start to finish. And all of the railingd and metal on the boat got a good treatment of MetalRX.

http://www.obsessivedetail.com/metalrx.html

Last edited by dsq3973; 01-30-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:26 PM
Depending on the water type, a solution of water and vinegar is the cheapest and most effective in most cases.

As for McGuires boat products, a lot of them are repackaged and price adjusted automotive products. I did give it a shot a few years ago and my initial fear was realized. Yellowing from the wax. That after 3 days on top of a buffer, pads, rags and lots of body pain.

Gel coat is nothing like paint and has to breath. The best thing are polymers like Frenzy etc. There are several, many are same product under different names, but they actually protect the gel. I'm at a point where I may wet sand above the rub rail just to get that original, brand new shine and health back.

The most important thing to to realize how different gel and paint really are. Learn from others mistakes.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by FamilyRide
Depending on the water type, a solution of water and vinegar is the cheapest and most effective in most cases.

As for McGuires boat products, a lot of them are repackaged and price adjusted automotive products. I did give it a shot a few years ago and my initial fear was realized. Yellowing from the wax. That after 3 days on top of a buffer, pads, rags and lots of body pain.

Gel coat is nothing like paint and has to breath. The best thing are polymers like Frenzy etc. There are several, many are same product under different names, but they actually protect the gel. I'm at a point where I may wet sand above the rub rail just to get that original, brand new shine and health back.

The most important thing to to realize how different gel and paint really are. Learn from others mistakes.
When you say you had 'yellowing' from the wax, what kind of wax were you using and did this happen only after the actually waxing process?

Would something like NXT 2.0 work?

Old 02-04-2011, 08:03 PM
After time, and it was the McGuires boat wax after the polish. I was warned but tried the whole system out anyway. Now, if I use a cleaner on the hull, it'll drip yellow and the true color comes out once I clean it off.

I'm not familiar with NXT, but look for products specifically made for gel coat, and it won't be wax. It needs to breath, be protected from UV and not get dry.

Quick Reply: Detailing a Wakeboard Boat