Review: Mothers NEW Back to Black Tire Shine

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 12:27 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review: Mothers NEW Back to Black Tire Shine

Yesterday I had the chance to test out Mothers' new tire dressing; Back to Black Tire Shine.

I'm very picky with what I use on the tires of my car so I decided to test it out on my grandparents' 2006 Buick Lucerne. I chose their car in particular because they just recently had new tires put on which have never had any previous tire dressing applied. I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to see if Mothers' new tire dressing really did bring back the black.

Here is the test subject next to the products being used. To spread the tire shine evenly across the surface of the tire I used a Cobra Flex Foam Applicator. I really like these because they are big and easy to hold.

Before application.

Back to Back Tire Shine comes in a 24oz spray bottle that's very comfortable to hold and the dressing itself is transparent.

I did about 6 VERY light sprays for one half of the tire.

I used the Cobra Flex Foam Applicator to spread the tire shine evenly across the surface of the tire.

Here you can see the right side of the tire has been treated with Back to Black Tire Shine while the left side has nothing on it.

I went ahead and did the rest of the tire and it turned out great. I was really impressed with the low-gloss finish and the fact that about 2 minutes after application it dried to the touch.

After doing all four tires I pulled the car out of the garage to get a picture in the sun.

Pros: Price, ease of use. It took very little product to do all four tires. It provided a very rich, low-gloss finish that dried to the touch.

Cons: Over spray. Even when held 6" from the tire using very light sprays, over spray is inevitable.

Summary: Great product for the price, but durability is yet to be determined though. I will check on how well it is holding up next weekend and report back.

Mothers Back to Black Tire Shine

Last edited by Nick@Autogeek; 01-31-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks pretty good. I like that you said it was dry to the touch after a few minutes. I normally spray tire shine onto an applicator then apply it the tire to avoid overspray. I may have to give this product a try.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nick,

Thanks for sharing both the product and application shots. Nice stuff!

I figure somebody's going to say it, so it might as well be me. You missed the inner wheel wells! But obviously you know what a difference a little dressing makes there.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:17 PM
It'll be interesting to see how this does, especially considering the generally negative reviews of the Back to Black Trim Dressing.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:52 PM
That looks really good. I have to give this product a try. I have been up and down the road with all kinds of protectants, from the spray bottles, to aerosol cans, overspray and doing it with an applicator it all fades away after a short while. Clean the tires really good, apply it rub it in the tire and still hardly a sheen. This product might be what I am looking for.

Quick Reply: Review: Mothers NEW Back to Black Tire Shine