Hand washing or High Pressure - which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2001, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

HI kkirt,
I have always used high pressure washes to remove the heavy stuff on my trucks,but start the process by using the pre-soak feature,that will help to lift that film that you are leaving behind.
Also note when you are hand washing,I have found it best to use a car washing soap to help keep wax intact.Remember your truck is black,and if you want it to keep looking great,the less you rub the finish the longer it looks great.Never ever rub in a swirling motion on black,always work in a straight line motion.Picture the wind blowing over the contours,and follow that as a guide.Your black beauty will look scratch free for years if you follow that advice.I learnt the hard way and a fellow in a detail shop set me straight on that.
Good Luck,and Keep Um Shining!!
Ed

Old 04-13-2001, 11:42 PM
I tried the pre-soak feature at my local car wash. Although I am spending $5 a wash now, it removes the film of dirt from my nice shiny black paint. Thanks for the tips guys!

Old 04-14-2001, 11:56 AM
WOOHOOO $5 a wash, c'mon down to my wash kkirt!!!! kidding..

take a look at this link just for the fun of it.

http://www.cwonj.com/bro.htm

------------------
2001 Supercrew, white/silver Lariat,
  • gray leather capt. chairs,
  • 5.4L,
  • Expedition console,
  • Truck Master Designs front air dam w/lights
  • window tint
  • wood dash,
  • cobra hood,
  • billet grill,
  • Ford chrome tube steps,
  • Line-X liner,
  • Magnaflow cat-back dual exhaust w/stainless tips,
  • k/n filter,
  • Audiovox flip down TV
  • V-Tech tail light covers and front marker covers
  • Ventvisors
  • Astro fiberglass tonneau
http://hometown.aol.com/washyourcar/supercrew.html one50npump@aol.com

Old 04-23-2001, 10:15 PM
I use a car wash (mine ) in the winter. This gets the grime off the truck without touching the paint. When I get really serious (once a week) I spray off truck and then use use a horse hair brush with mother gold soap (same as I use in my wash). I then go over the whole vehicle with a sponge. The bruch will lift the dirt and not scratch it into the surface and the sponge get every little think left behind. After this I wax (2 steps mothers gold, switching to Zaino tho to try).

------------------
2001.5 SuperCrew XLT 4X4
Silver Clearcoat Metallic
Deep Wedgewood Blue (accent)
5.4L V8
Chrome Tubular Step Bars (Ford)
Captains Chairs
Power Moonroof
3.55 LS
6750 GVWR
Class III Towing Pkg

Mods:
Harley Davidson Exhaust
'01 Lightning Head/Tail Lamps
Pioneer DEH-9200r
Boston Acoustic Components & 5X7s
Box Liner (Ford)
Splashguards (Ford)
Bug Defector Doubles as Rock and Sand/Salt Deflector in these snowy Canadian winters

To Come:
17" Rims/Tires
K&N Air Filter

Old 04-23-2001, 11:09 PM
kkirt1,

Got dirt film? I had the same problem over the winter and it drove me NUTS! but I do have a solution for you. Since we have essentially the same black truck, I'll share what I did to resolve the film problem.

First thing I did was to clay bar the whole truck with Mothers Clay bar (after washing it by hand with a CC safe mitt and Dawn liquid soap twice) to get rid wax build up and any other crap that may have been in the paint. I rewashed Dawn after clay bar as well. The paint felt smooth to the touch afterwards. Then I put on 2 coats of Mothers liquid Carnuba wax for clear coat. I did this on a warm day in early January and was able to survive with pressure washes (NO BRUSHES!) and an occational hand wash on warmer days till end of March with no film build up or after crap when pressure washing. Mothers makes a good product.

I also love to hand wash with a CC safe wash mitt and Mothers car wash when I can. I alony use Dawn when crud is on the paint and I plan to wax. The wash mitt is essential and makes the job quick, fast and painless (10-15 minutes to wash including wheels + 5 minutes to towel dry with 2 very soft terry towels). The trick with the mitt is that it is gentle on the paint because the "hairs" lift up and carry away dirt without rubbing the dirt back into the paint.

I may have survived longer but I switch from Mothers to Zaino. Although it was a little scary at first sending in a check and waiting for my order to arrive 2 weeks, I did get my order with some extra applicator pads in the box. I did the same steps as above with Zaino as well. Zaino is awesome and is excellent for/to black paint. Downside is if you use it, you can't really mix with other wax based products with out starting the process over. The exception to this is the use of real car wash without wax. Zaino's non-abrasive polish essentially builds up upon itself as you apply successive coats and gives you that "crystal wet black" look which you can only appreciate in person. Imagine a black mirror... But here is best part, nothing seems to stick to the paint! and therefore road film sprays right off so you can still pressure wash at will.

Good luck!

------------------
2001 F-150 Supercrew 4X4 Lariat
Solid Black
5.4L Triton(TM) V8
LT Grey Leather Captain's Chairs
Electronic AM/FM Premium Stereo
Cassette and 6-Disc CD Changer
Trailer Tow Group, Class III
3.55 Limited Slip Axle
Bed Extender
Cab Steps
Skid Plates
and Front License Plate Bracket

Mods: Full Metal Jacket (Ployurea Based) Spray-in Bed Liner. Its Awesome!
Info here: http://www.specialty-products.com/PDF/polyurea/FMJ.pdf
SuperChip
Ford Smoked BugShield
K&N FPIK GenII

Pictures of the Baby!!!

Old 04-25-2001, 04:04 PM
Wink

Have any of you noticed the Beading of water at the self serv washes? Do your wipers streak and chatter after a while? Most self serv or spray type car washes have a wax selection on the ****. The same wax is metered into the rinse water in smaller amounts to give the "Beading Up" or clean wax looking effect. I installed and serviced car wash machines in a previous life. This Wax will build up on windows and effect wipers etc. If a car wash has the "good Pumps" with plenty pressure and G.P.M (gallons per minute) and the right amount of good soap they will do a pretty good job! The best method is a good quality car wash soap and mit and dried with Chamois or soft terry towels. Just my .02 worth

Old 04-25-2001, 05:25 PM
Talking

OOP'S Forgot my Signature

------------------
2001 Super Crew Built 10/00 purchased12/00 Lariat 5.4 4X4 Bright Red,Tow Package, 1.42" Radaitor, Factory Steps, K&N air filter, A.R.E. LS II, Rear Seat Entertainment System, Sound System Upgrades,Ford System 4 security upgrade, DRL'S, Vent Shade Vent Visors, Stampeede bug Deflector. Owner installed "Off Road Package" with custom made decal. Hope to upgrade soon to Gibson SS or Dual Sport!

Old 04-25-2001, 10:58 PM
Exclamation

Hey guys just to Fill u in DISHWASH STUFF PULLS WAX OFF CARS just thought i'd leave u that note.

------------------
1998 Ford F150 4x4 OFR
Moonlight Blue
Short Bed Flareside
Dual exhaust Staight Pipe
Hypertech Chip
Fiberglass Tonuea Cover

Quick Reply: Hand washing or High Pressure - which is better?