Clay Bar questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 06:26 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Next day is fine if the vehicle will not be driven and parked somewhere (indoors) dust/debris free.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:22 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
If you want to do it all by hand with over the counter products that you can buy anywhere, after you clay, use a good cleaner such as Meguiars Deep Crystal Step 1, then a good synthetic wax such as Meguiars NXT 2.0. I'll let Adam's tell you what they sell that is equivalent.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought the deep crystal Megs. wax. I've been wanting to get the NXT. Some on here say that the deep crystal you have to keep using it frequently.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:58 PM
glc
The Deep Crystal wax is an ordinary carnauba that isn't noted for its durability. That's where synthetics shine.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Just git done clay barring, waxing, and buffing the king ranch....WOW! What a difference!

Old 02-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by flavtfan
Just git done clay barring, waxing, and buffing the king ranch....WOW! What a difference!
I'm hoping for a similar result. What did you buff with? What other products did you use? And I hope you buffed then waxed, not the other way around.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:39 PM
I buy all my detailing supplies at detailedimage.com.....they are good guys to deal with

Old 02-12-2011, 08:51 PM
I applied the megs cleaner wax with a 10 inch craftsman buffer then removed it with the same buffer with terry cloth . Looks and feels like glass...all took about 4 hrs start to finish, maybe less.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:45 AM
glc
I applied the megs cleaner wax with a 10 inch craftsman buffer then removed it with the same buffer with terry cloth
Ouch.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Ouch.
? Looks good to me, no swirls, got all the dull spots out....how do you suggest waxing a vehicle?

Old 02-13-2011, 01:46 PM
glc
First of all, use a DA buffer, not an orbital or rotary. Use the appropriate products and pads to do all paint correction, remove by HAND ONLY with quality microfiber. When it looks good, THEN use a wax or synthetic last step product that is NOT a "cleaner wax" with the DA or by hand, and remove by HAND ONLY.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:42 PM
so my gf, bless her heart, found my list of stuff i needed and took matters into her own hands and 'suprised' me with some of the supplies. lol she went to autozone and picked these items up

1. mothers clay bar kit that comes with two 80 gram clay bars, showtime detailer, and a microber towel.

2. mequiars nxt tech was 2.0 with included applicator

3. amarol ultra shine "wash and wax"

4. pack of microfiber towels and a sponge

so im going to go ahead and use this stuff and pick up some dawn dish soap later this week. i plan on doing this saturday when all the mud dries up and the rest of the snow is gone so fingers crossed.

a couple more questions though. should i use the armoral wax and wash after i clay bar? or pick up some different car wash soap. and after i wax with the NXT, am i done?

also, i never recieved a clear answer on what all could be clay barred. can my chrome wheels be clay barred? what about my the plastic lense on my heads and fogs?

Old 02-13-2011, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by glc
First of all, use a DA buffer, not an orbital or rotary. Use the appropriate products and pads to do all paint correction, remove by HAND ONLY with quality microfiber. When it looks good, THEN use a wax or synthetic last step product that is NOT a "cleaner wax" with the DA or by hand, and remove by HAND ONLY.
to each his own i guess....never had any problems with the buffer that i have putting on wax or taking it off when it's hazed over. I use it on fiberglass boats as well. When i start putting swirls and such in my paint then i guess i'll start using hands only. i let the buffer do the work, i do not put any weight behind it at all and ...lord, what did we ever do before microfiber? BTW it's a random orbit buffer/polisher so it's not a true orbital....it's made for waxing vehicles. Also, i'm fine with using just the meguiars 1 step polymer based cleaner wax. i used the meguiars claybar detailing kit that came with the wax, bar, applicator, spray, and microfiber(used this to get off the dust and make my final wipedown). it seems to protect and bead up for quite some time. according to meguiars, their 1 step cleaner/wax is made as a final step application.

Last edited by flavtfan; 02-13-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:21 PM
glc
Daniel - the Armorall wash and wax isn't that great. A sponge isn't the greatest thing to wash with either - microfiber or lambswool mitts are much better. No need to wash after claying, but if you do, don't use a "wash and wax" product. All you need to do is give it a wipedown with the quick detailing spray. Note that the NXT will not do any paint correction to speak of - it has some "fillers" to help hide light scratches and swirls, that's about it. If you have correction to do, you can get some Meguiars Ultimate Compound. I don't see any need to clay the wheels (unless they are clearcoated) or the lights. Use PlastX on the lights.

Flavtfan - a random orbital doesn't have enough "oomph" to do any kind of meaningful paint correction - but you can certainly use it to apply a cleaner wax. I still do NOT recommend you use it for removal. Yes, to each their own, but all I'm doing is telling you the right and preferred way to do it, based on input from professional detailers. Have you read our detailing sticky yet?

Old 02-13-2011, 05:36 PM

Last edited by ridinonmoto17s; 02-13-2011 at 05:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Clay Bar questions.