WD 40 for cleaning chrome

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2001, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post WD 40 for cleaning chrome

I have the Harley Davidson exhaust on my truck and have had it on throughout the winter. It grimed all up on me and developed black spots. I tried everything under the sun, from mother's and eagle 1 chrome polish to rubbing compound to cleaner wax and nothing too it off. The chrome polish made the parts that weren't black shine but did not take the crud off. So after this I tried ZEP 45 (like WD 40 a penetrating lube) and it worked great. I followed it up with a coat of wax and they are gleaming. Thought I would share after all the help I have gotten from this place.

Jimmar

------------------
2001.5 SuperCrew XLT 4X4
Silver Clearcoat Metallic
Deep Wedgewood Blue (accent)
5.4L V8
Chrome Tubular Step Bars (Ford)
Captains Chairs
Power Moonroof
3.55 LS
6750 GVWR
Class III Towing Pkg

Mods:
Harley Davidson Exhaust
'01 Lightning Head/Tail Lamps
Pioneer DEH-9200r
Boston Acoustic Components & 5X7s
Box Liner (Ford)
Splashguards (Ford)
Bug Defector Doubles as Rock and Sand/Salt Deflector in these snowy Canadian winters

To Come:
17" Rims/Tires
K&N Air Filter

Old 04-26-2001, 10:33 PM
Talking

The best thing for cleaning chrome plated exhaust systems in "Easy Off Oven Cleaner" I use it on my Harley chrome pipes and it gets baked bugs, baked tree sap and road film off with no effort---------------Just daub it on the spots and start the vehicle up until the pipes are hot let sit a few min. and the crud will hose right off. I use the cheapest version of Easy Off (make sure you keep it off painted surfaces and aluminum)

------------------
2000 F-150, XLT, SC, 5.4, 4X4, 355 LS, ORP, Black/Silver, class III, single CD, sliding glass, med. gray, keyless, elect. shift, engine date 8-18-99, Superchip. 2.02" corrected radiator-F75Z-8005-GA --- '93 Harley Fatboy Black & tons of chrome

Old 04-28-2001, 06:18 PM
Thanks. I will try that too

Old 04-29-2001, 08:55 PM
Question

I'm not positive but I also heard baking soda is good for really stubborn spots. You'd make a paste out of it with some water & apply, let it soak up a bit & them wash off. I'd try it on a more inconspicouos spot before trying it in large patches.
Jimmar - I see you're from Bancroft! I had the absolute pleasure of going on 2 geology trips there many years ago - that is beautiful country! We stopped at the York River, McDonald Feldspar mine, Princess Sodalite mine & stayed in the "luxurious" Bancrfot Motel - is that still there? LOL!
If you get a chance, could you email me? I'd love to know how much has changed since I was there. My email is Cowlady18@cs.com. Thanks Jimmar!

------------------

www.andthensometoo.com/owners/cowlady
Love my truck & PROUD of it! If you can't beat 'em, you're NOT driving a FORD!
Shovies PROVE that FORD'S are #1!!
'97 Black F150 XLT ORP 4X4 Reg Cab/LB
4.6L/auto/3.55 LS/power EVERYTHING,
nerf bars, 17" wheels, fog lights, trailer hitch w/electrical connector, front tow hooks, bed rail caps,
6 CD changer, lumbar support & 3 cow license plates - so far!

Old 05-01-2001, 07:31 PM
Thumbs up

Try Wenol, it works awsome. It even works on the ceramic tips on my Lightning, and those are the hardest tips to keep clean.

Old 05-02-2001, 10:37 AM
Ceramic "tips"?

Quick Reply: WD 40 for cleaning chrome