Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nick,

I live in Stuart and frequent American Custom. Would one be able to pick up from your facility? Thanks

Old 02-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by boogiewarren
Nick,

I live in Stuart and frequent American Custom. Would one be able to pick up from your facility? Thanks
You sure can! When you place your order online put in the comments box that you would like to pick up the order. Provide a date and a time if you could. Generally after you place an order give us a couple hours to get it processed and ready for you to pick up. If it is urgent, give us a call and we'll take care of it and have it ready for you sooner.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Thanks Nick. I'll be in touch.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What do you recommend for Cleaning and Detailing Matte black wheels like XD series.

Some say just soap and water to clean/wash the wheels and Megs Hyperdressing to detail the wheels while dressing the tires? What are your thoughts about this or can you recommend better products for both..

Thanks...

Old 02-16-2011, 03:29 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by tg150
What do you recommend for Cleaning and Detailing Matte black wheels like XD series.

Some say just soap and water to clean/wash the wheels and Megs Hyperdressing to detail the wheels while dressing the tires? What are your thoughts about this or can you recommend better products for both..

Thanks...
If the wheels get really dirty I would recommend a pH balanced, non-acidic wheel cleaner. But if they're washed frequently then soap and water along with a wheel brush will work great too. Hyper Dressing works great on tires and you can dilute it properly according to how much gloss you like.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek
If the wheels get really dirty I would recommend a pH balanced, non-acidic wheel cleaner. But if they're washed frequently then soap and water along with a wheel brush will work great too. Hyper Dressing works great on tires and you can dilute it properly according to how much gloss you like.
Right but can I use HD on the wheels too, since there's some overspray and running. Is there something I can use to detail these wheels?
Thanks again..

Old 02-16-2011, 04:15 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by tg150
Right but can I use HD on the wheels too, since there's some overspray and running. Is there something I can use to detail these wheels?
Thanks again..
Hyper Dressing is meant to be used on rubber and vinyl surfaces. When applied thin and given the proper amount of drying time, HD will not run off the surface of the tire.

If you're looking for a dedicated wheel protectant, I would look in to DP Wheel Glaze or Poorboy's Wheel Sealant.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek
Hyper Dressing is meant to be used on rubber and vinyl surfaces. When applied thin and given the proper amount of drying time, HD will not run off the surface of the tire.

If you're looking for a dedicated wheel protectant, I would look in to DP Wheel Glaze or Poorboy's Wheel Sealant.
Alright, sounds good.. Thank you for your time and quick reply.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:48 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd like to purchase a set of "Flatstoppers" for my truck, but am running 305/50/20 rubber which exceeds the diameter rating of the product. Do you know if they make (or intend to make) a variation of the product that would accomodate my larger tire size? With all the "plus size" rim and tire packages people are running these days I'm a little shocked that this product is not already available....???

As an aside, I just received the MF's I ordered from you last month (Cobra Deluxe Ultra 600's) and had a chance to try them out on my Mustang yesterday. I'm using them as drying towels and all I can say is, "What a difference over the terry cotton towels I've been using in the past!" It was somewhat shocking to me how much water they hold, but will certainly have to order a few more (I purchased 3 of them) to completely dry my truck.

Any recommendation on a good MF to use for quick detailer, polish and LSP removal? I'd like them to be a different color to easily identify them from my purple drying towels.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by ddellwo
I'd like to purchase a set of "Flatstoppers" for my truck, but am running 305/50/20 rubber which exceeds the diameter rating of the product. Do you know if they make (or intend to make) a variation of the product that would accomodate my larger tire size? With all the "plus size" rim and tire packages people are running these days I'm a little shocked that this product is not already available....???

As an aside, I just received the MF's I ordered from you last month (Cobra Deluxe Ultra 600's) and had a chance to try them out on my Mustang yesterday. I'm using them as drying towels and all I can say is, "What a difference over the terry cotton towels I've been using in the past!" It was somewhat shocking to me how much water they hold, but will certainly have to order a few more (I purchased 3 of them) to completely dry my truck.

Any recommendation on a good MF to use for quick detailer, polish and LSP removal? I'd like them to be a different color to easily identify them from my purple drying towels.
The Flatstoppers were designed to be used with OEM sized wheels and tires, but you are absolutely correct when you say plus size rims are becoming more common on vehicles straight from the factory. As the trend for larger wheels/tires continues to grow, I would expect Flatstoppers to make a tire support to accommodate larger wheels/tires.

When I use a spray wax or quick detailer on my car, I personally prefer the Super Soft Deluxe Microfiber towels or the Griot's Garage Speed Shine microfiber towels. Both work very well with just about any quick detailer or spray wax. When removing a wax, sealant, or applying a quick detailer, it's always important to make sure your towel is properly folded and not just crunched up. Most microfiber towels come with a tag from the factory, it's also a good idea to remove this tag before using the towel to prevent any chance of scratching your paint.

You will quickly find that everyone has their own personal preference for which microfiber towels they like best. Just about any high quality microfiber towel that is thick & plush with a rolled/satin edge is great for wax removal, quick detailing, drying, etc.

But my personal favorite is still the Griot's Speed Shine.

Last edited by Nick@Autogeek; 02-17-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:58 AM
Nick,
I'm about to pull the trigger on a DA. ( no pun intended )Due to cost constraints it will proably be the Porter Cable. My paint (red 05 F150) would appear to be in pretty good shape with the following exceptions.

I do have some swirling but more so I have a ton of light scratches in the clear coat. In addition to the da I will need the proper pads as well as the various products to correct my issues.

I see you have many "packages" available or would I be better served having you put together a package that would fit my specific issues ?

While I realize quality products come at a premium , I would like to keep this somewhat within a modest budget. I really appreciate your insight.

I am local so I would be picking it up. In a previous post you were kind enough to explain how that works as well.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Former Sponsor
Nick,
I'm about to pull the trigger on a DA. ( no pun intended )Due to cost constraints it will proably be the Porter Cable. My paint (red 05 F150) would appear to be in pretty good shape with the following exceptions.

I do have some swirling but more so I have a ton of light scratches in the clear coat. In addition to the da I will need the proper pads as well as the various products to correct my issues.

I see you have many "packages" available or would I be better served having you put together a package that would fit my specific issues ?

While I realize quality products come at a premium , I would like to keep this somewhat within a modest budget. I really appreciate your insight.

I am local so I would be picking it up. In a previous post you were kind enough to explain how that works as well.

The Porter Cable is definitely a great machine to start with, and like you mentioned we have several kits to choose from. There are two kits in particular that stand out to me the most in regards to what you've told me that you're looking to accomplish with your project.

The first kit I have in mind is the Porter Cable Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover Kit. It includes all the necessary polishes and the appropriate pads to go with each polish. The Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and Finishing Glaze are excellent products for beginners and experts alike. They are very user friendly and provide exceptional results when used with a DA. This kit in particular also includes a bottle of Wolfgang's flagship paint sealant - Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. This paint sealant in particular is very easy to use and provides the durability of a paint sealant, but with the wet look of a carnauba paste wax.

This kit is also available without the paint sealant if you are trying to keep the cost down. Wolfgang Porter Cable Duo.

The next kit I have in mind features Meguiar's two most popular paint correction products; M105 and M205. M105 is a heavy cut compound and M205 is a finishing polish. When these two products are used in conjunction, the correction ability they provide is hard to beat. I would recommend this kit if your paint is in really bad shape. Meguiars Porter Cable Ultra Polish Kit

Last edited by Nick@Autogeek; 03-08-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Thanks Nick........just placed an order for pick up tomorrow.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:23 PM
Former Sponsor
Thanks Nick........just placed an order for pick up tomorrow.
Sounds good, we'll be here!

Old 02-26-2011, 05:37 PM
Please help to get rid of "OEM" Swirls 2010 Candy Red

Hi Nick! Thanks for this tread. I just pick up a brand new candy red F150. It came equipped with some swirls I think courtesy of the dealership.

There are a few swirls mark evenly distributed in all the truck. The swirl marks are very very tiny and you only see these under sunlight at the correct angle.

What do you suggest to get rid of these? and after removing the swirls what other products I need to protect the paint?

I also found something weird in the paint. When I wash the truck the water don;t flow evenly the paint is a little harsh and also under full sun light and at certain angle I can see some "oil marks" I made a test using Megiars Machine Glaze #3 (yes I know if for DA machine but I apply by hand in a small area) and the oil marks gone.

I clayed the hood but it appears to be unnecessary.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Quick Reply: Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread