Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011 | 09:37 AM
|
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by artgarcia
Hi Nick! Thanks for this tread. I just pick up a brand new candy red F150. It came equipped with some swirls I think courtesy of the dealership.

There are a few swirls mark evenly distributed in all the truck. The swirl marks are very very tiny and you only see these under sunlight at the correct angle.

What do you suggest to get rid of these? and after removing the swirls what other products I need to protect the paint?

I also found something weird in the paint. When I wash the truck the water don;t flow evenly the paint is a little harsh and also under full sun light and at certain angle I can see some "oil marks" I made a test using Megiars Machine Glaze #3 (yes I know if for DA machine but I apply by hand in a small area) and the oil marks gone.

I clayed the hood but it appears to be unnecessary.

Thanks for your suggestions!

As a rule of thumb, you want to start with the least aggressive product first. If you can only see the swirls at certain angles under certain lighting (especially on red), a finishing polish such as Meguiars 205, Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish, or Menzerna PO85RD might do the trick.

You would use the above mentioned products with a polishing pad on a Dual-Action Polisher such as the Porter Cable 7424xp. Being that you're working on a larger vehicle, I would recommend a starter kit that includes 6.5" pads.

Porter Cable 7424xp Starter Kits

Once you have gotten rid of all the swirls I would follow that up with either a paint sealant or a carnauba wax. A paint sealant is much more durable than a carnauba wax but doesn't produce quite the depth of shine and gloss that a carnauba wax provides. You can get the best of both worlds by applying a paint sealant and then following that up with a carnauba paste wax (12-24 hours after applying and removing the paint sealant) for the ultimate shine and protection.

If the Meguiars Machine Glaze #3 didn't take care of all the oil marks, I would suggest using a cleaner wax. And even though the truck is brand new, it's still a good idea to clay it before polishing/waxing. For newer vehicles that are in good shape I prefer an ultra fine detailing clay such as Pinnacle's Ultra Poly Clay. It's not very aggressive and it's very pliable and easy to work with.

Old 03-01-2011 | 08:46 PM
Nick, do you guys detail boats often?

I have an 09 Super Air Nautique. It has light water spotting and very light swirl marks. I would like to knock that stuff off with my Flex DA, I just don't know what to look for in an actual polish and wax/sealant for a gelcoat?

1. What polish/s do you recommend for a light cut job?
2. What do you recommend to protect the gelcoat? I really hate the idea of having to keep putting wax on during the season because it stays on a lift at a dock.

Old 03-01-2011 | 10:07 PM
How do you tell if the polish or compound is "broke down" Ive tried meguiars ultimate compund and swirl x on my black truck and I keep getting the hazy swirls . I am using a PC 7424xp and 5.5 yellow pad that I purchased from you guys. I try to follow the videos on youtube, but my results have been dissapointing so far....Should I clay first?

Old 03-03-2011 | 03:28 PM
|
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by Super FX4
Nick, do you guys detail boats often?

I have an 09 Super Air Nautique. It has light water spotting and very light swirl marks. I would like to knock that stuff off with my Flex DA, I just don't know what to look for in an actual polish and wax/sealant for a gelcoat?

1. What polish/s do you recommend for a light cut job?
2. What do you recommend to protect the gelcoat? I really hate the idea of having to keep putting wax on during the season because it stays on a lift at a dock.
1. Boats have a gel coat, which is much harder than a typical clear coat on a car. If the swirls are light on your boat, I would recommend Menzerna Super Intensive Polish along with an orange light cutting pad.

2. Collinite #845 Insulator Wax works very well on both gel coat and clear coat. It's easy to use and a little bit goes a long way. I would apply this with a gray finishing pad. This is one of the most durable waxes that we carry.

Originally Posted by PaulBlackFX4
How do you tell if the polish or compound is "broke down" Ive tried meguiars ultimate compund and swirl x on my black truck and I keep getting the hazy swirls . I am using a PC 7424xp and 5.5 yellow pad that I purchased from you guys. I try to follow the videos on youtube, but my results have been dissapointing so far....Should I clay first?

After 4-6 section passes the polish will start to turn clear. Some compounds have a longer working time than others. I would recommend using an orange pad along with the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. Be sure that you are using the proper amount of product. Meguiar's Ultimate Compound is generally a very nice compound that finishes well when used properly.

Old 03-06-2011 | 12:47 AM
Whats the best thing to get water spots off of my truck windows?? I've tried everything I know and still can't get them off.

Old 03-06-2011 | 06:30 PM
|
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by 06F150STX
Whats the best thing to get water spots off of my truck windows?? I've tried everything I know and still can't get them off.
DP High Performance Glass Restorer, Duragloss Nu-Glass #755 and Diamondite Glasswork Restorer will all effectively remove water spots on exterior glass.

If the exterior glass is in really rough shape, it's always a good idea to clay the glass first using a clay designed specifically for exterior glass, such as Diamondite Glasswork Cleansing Clay or Griot's Garage Glass Cleaning Clay. The clay will remove embedded surface contaminents and make the glasswork restorer much more effective.

Old 03-06-2011 | 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek
DP High Performance Glass Restorer, Duragloss Nu-Glass #755 and Diamondite Glasswork Restorer will all effectively remove water spots on exterior glass.

If the exterior glass is in really rough shape, it's always a good idea to clay the glass first using a clay designed specifically for exterior glass, such as Diamondite Glasswork Cleansing Clay or Griot's Garage Glass Cleaning Clay. The clay will remove embedded surface contaminents and make the glasswork restorer much more effective.

Thanks!!! Will go and find that stuff this week/ Thanks again.

Old 03-07-2011 | 12:47 PM
how should i go about cleaning my seats? they are cloth

Old 03-08-2011 | 05:53 PM
|
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by jlyoung08
how should i go about cleaning my seats? they are cloth
I've personally used DP Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner along with carpet brush such as the Tampico Upholstery Brush on fabric and carpet. That particular brush is stiff enough to remove stubborn stains, but also soft enough not to damage the fabric.

Old 03-09-2011 | 12:04 PM
Hey Nick, I ordered some sets of polishing pads from you. I know these pads need to be washed and maintained well. But, do they actually need replacing after a number of details?

Old 03-09-2011 | 12:58 PM
|
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by Super FX4
Hey Nick, I ordered some sets of polishing pads from you. I know these pads need to be washed and maintained well. But, do they actually need replacing after a number of details?
After so many uses (compounding especially) you will need to replace the pads as they will not be as effective as they are when new. Generally you will go through more compounding and polishing pads than you would waxing and sealant pads because the latter of which doesn't see as much abuse.

Old 03-17-2011 | 10:49 AM
|
Former Sponsor
I have been getting a lot of PM's lately regarding products and tech help. Sometimes the same question is asked by several different people. If everyone would post their questions in this thread, it can be viewed by everyone and some questions may already have been asked and then answered by the experts here at Autogeek.

Old 03-18-2011 | 09:59 AM
Hey Nick.
I have been looking into a buffer but havent got one yet. I have a black F150 and was wondering if there are special pads to use on black to reduce swirl marks, etc. I have heard about some in the past but dont remember what they were I just remember hearing that you shouldnt use just a regular pad on black. Is this true? Any other great products to maintain black paint?

Thanks

Old 03-18-2011 | 03:21 PM
|
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by ShavedBlack07
Hey Nick.
I have been looking into a buffer but havent got one yet. I have a black F150 and was wondering if there are special pads to use on black to reduce swirl marks, etc. I have heard about some in the past but dont remember what they were I just remember hearing that you shouldnt use just a regular pad on black. Is this true? Any other great products to maintain black paint?

Thanks
With a dual-action polisher such as the Porter Cable 7424xp, it is nearly impossible to induce swirl marks while using a foam pad. A dual-action polisher when used with a foam pad is much more paint safe in the hands of a novice when compared to a rotary polisher.

To apply a wax or sealant you need to use a soft finishing/sealant pad that has no cut or cleaning ability to it. Lake Country manufactures a wide selection of pads that each serve a different purpose and go from one extreme to the other. For applying a wax or sealant I personally prefer the gray finishing pad. This particular pad is firm enough to withstand added pressure while buffing but also soft enough to apply a wax or sealant. The red, blue, and gold pads by Lake Country also work very well but like I said, I like the gray pad the most.

Lake Country Foam Pad Comparison Chart

Any high quality carnauba wax or paint sealant will really give your truck the "wet look". But if you really want your black paint to look the absolute best, I would recommend the following products...

Here is a good example of what Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba Paste Wax looks like on a black vehicle - Ralph Lauren's 1930 Mercedes Benz SSK

And my personal favorite, Wolfgang Fuzion....

Dodo Juice Purple Haze is also another excellent choice along with Poorboy's Natty's Blue.

There is quite a wide selection to choose from and it really all comes down to a matter personal preference for which one you like best.

Last edited by Nick@Autogeek; 03-18-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2011 | 04:05 PM
Awesome Nick! Thanks for the help! I just order the 7424XP combo along with a drying towel, CCS pads, etc. I left a comment on how you helped me out! Thanks again

Quick Reply: Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread