Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011 | 07:05 PM
I have chrome rims on my truck and made the mistake of letting them go a few months without cleaning, and the front ones have built up alot of brake dust. I took them all off and tried different brushes and cleaners, but not all of it came off. Will a clay bar remove the remaining dust? And what type of protectant/wax can I use to protect them in the future? And is Turtle paste was an ok wax to use on the paint? Thanks in advance!

Old 04-24-2011 | 12:39 PM
glc
And is Turtle paste was an ok wax to use on the paint?
Not around here.

Old 04-24-2011 | 01:08 PM
Ok, thanks. I wasn't too sure about it because I had read some pretty bad stuff about it, but my dad had a bunch of it in his shop and I wanted to hear about it from one of ya'll before I tried it.

Old 04-26-2011 | 09:31 AM
|
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by artgarcia
Thanks for your suggestions. As I alreday have some products I need to know if I can still use them Please help.

You suggest a MEGUIAR 205. May I use instead ( I have one bottle) the Meguiars Mirror Glaze 2 Fine Cut Sealer? Whit this Fine-Cut Cleaner Which Polishing Pad may I use with my Porter Cable 7336? I plan to use for Mirror Glaze 2 the Cobra Croos Groove ORANGE but please confirm if it's ok or suggest something better.

Regarding Paint sealer I don't have anything. Which Paint Sealer do you recomend for Candy Red? Which Buffing pad is needed for the recommended paint sealer?

After Paint Sealer. I have a Blitz Wax Carnauba, I plan to use your Cobra Cross Groove™ 6.5 Inch Red LSP Finishing Pad Is it ok?

For clay I already have the Meguiars C2000 and Final Inspection 34 Is this a good replacement of Pinnacle's Ultra Poly Clay?

For the Porter Cable 7336 I need a backing plate. Cobra cross ask for a 5" backing plate. Is this the one? http://www.autogeek.net/lc43125.html

One more thing. I travel a lot and my truck have tart and grime in the lower panels which product is safe to use on a regular basis even after make all the detailing?

P.D.I hope to have your answer before current sales end.

Thanks for your help!
You can use the Meguiar's Fine Cut Cleaner with a polishing pad. When used with a polishing pad it will remove very minor swirls and water spots while also providing cleaning ability. The Cobra Cross Groove Pads work exceptionally well, especially the orange and white. Because of their unique design, they stay cooler longer.

For a durable sealant I would recommend DP Poli-Coat, Menzerna Power Lock, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, or Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze. All of those will provide great durability. Use a finishing/wax pad for application. After the sealant has cured (about 12 hours) feel free to add any additional wax on top for added protection and shine.

The Lake Country backing plate is compatible with both the Porter Cable and the Cobra Cross Groove Pads.

To effectively remove the bugs and road tar I would recommend Stoner's Tarminator. It works very well and will not remove a durable sealant.

Old 04-26-2011 | 10:07 AM
|
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by atr04screw
I have chrome rims on my truck and made the mistake of letting them go a few months without cleaning, and the front ones have built up alot of brake dust. I took them all off and tried different brushes and cleaners, but not all of it came off. Will a clay bar remove the remaining dust? And what type of protectant/wax can I use to protect them in the future? And is Turtle paste was an ok wax to use on the paint? Thanks in advance!
A clay bar should help out with the embedded brake dust. To protect the wheels and also enhance the appearance I would recommend a dedicated wheel sealant, such as DP Wheel Glaze or Poorboy's Wheel Sealant. This will also make future cleaning easier.

Originally Posted by glc
Not around here.
I encourage everyone to use whatever product they like, whether it's a $4 jar of wax or a $175 jar of wax.

Originally Posted by atr04screw
Ok, thanks. I wasn't too sure about it because I had read some pretty bad stuff about it, but my dad had a bunch of it in his shop and I wanted to hear about it from one of ya'll before I tried it.
It's not going to harm the finish, but there are superior products out there. Use whatever works best for you.

Old 04-29-2011 | 01:00 AM
Hi NIck! there is no orange or white DP pads, when are going to be available?

Old 05-03-2011 | 05:17 PM
|
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by artgarcia
Hi NIck! there is no orange or white DP pads, when are going to be available?
DP currently does not manufacture a polishing pad. Here is a link to all the polishing pads that we carry.

Car Buffers, Polishes, and Pads

Old 05-06-2011 | 11:42 AM
When I wash with dawn, should that provide enough lubricant to clay?

Old 05-06-2011 | 01:41 PM
No, you do that to strip wax. Use something like ONR or cheap quick detailer

Old 05-06-2011 | 07:55 PM
I know it's to strip the wax, I just don't wanna use another product just to clay with.

Old 05-06-2011 | 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by jkilmurray
I know it's to strip the wax, I just don't wanna use another product just to clay with.
You can get a bottle of Meg's detailer for about 4 bucks at Wal-Mart.

Old 05-06-2011 | 11:18 PM
You gotta pay to play... "real detailing" involves different products for various steps

Old 05-26-2011 | 09:48 AM
|
Former Sponsor
I have been getting a lot of PM's lately regarding products and tech help. Sometimes the same question is asked by several different people. If everyone would post their questions in this thread, it can be viewed by everyone and some questions may already have been asked and then answered by the experts here at Autogeek.

Old 05-26-2011 | 08:57 PM
Do you ever have sales?

Just wondered if you offer any deals for us or are the prices on your website it?

Old 05-27-2011 | 10:06 AM
|
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by mkinttrim
Just wondered if you offer any deals for us or are the prices on your website it?
Use coupon code F150 to receive 10% off your next order.

Quick Reply: Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread