Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011 | 09:51 AM
|
Former Sponsor
Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

At Autogeek, we specialize in car care and auto detailing. Our courteous staff of technical advisers consists of detailing enthusiasts and professional detailers and our team of car care experts are happy to answer your questions! We'll help you find auto care solutions so that you can achieve the ultimate show car shine.

As a forum sponsor, we would like to offer our guidance and assistance and answer any questions that you may have. Introducing “Ask The Autogeek!” By posting questions and answers in this thread, this will create an archive of valuable information for other forum members and guests to see, so you’ll be helping others as well!

Need answers right now? We can help with that too! Autogeek.net is your source for the most in depth and comprehensive car care information on the internet. We have detailing guides, how to articles and informative videos to get you started in the right direction! These are just a few of the informative links that you will find at Autogeek.net:

Autogeek University – Auto Detailing Facts, Tips & Tricks

Dual Action Orbital Polishing Guide

Download & View Autogeek Car Care Handbooks & Videos

Customer Comments & Reviews

We are looking forward to helping you achieve the results that you are looking for. So go ahead, ask away! We welcome your questions and will work hard to provide quality answers that you need to get the best detail possible.

Use coupon code F150 for 10% off your orders at Autogeek.net!

*Coupon valid on in stock items. Not applicable on previously placed orders, custom or special order items, polishers & polisher kits, vacuums, carpet extractors, garage flooring, gift certificates, or complete wash systems. One coupon code per order.

Old 02-11-2011 | 09:03 PM
can you answer the last question I posted on this thread. Thanks.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ca...me-wheels.html

Old 02-12-2011 | 10:50 AM
|
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by 06FX4X4
can you answer the last question I posted on this thread. Thanks.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ca...me-wheels.html
I would recommend Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner along with a Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush and a Natural Boar's Hair Wheel Brush for the face of the wheels.

Old 02-12-2011 | 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek
I would recommend Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner along with a Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush and a Natural Boar's Hair Wheel Brush for the face of the wheels.

Thanks, what would you use for general maintenance after I get them clean?

Old 02-12-2011 | 03:05 PM
|
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by 06FX4X4
Thanks, what would you use for general maintenance after I get them clean?
I would still use the same products, but it won't take nearly as long or take as much wheel cleaner to get them clean.

DP and Poorboy's both make a dedicated sealant which is specifically designed for wheels. Using a wheel sealant will make the wheels much easier to clean in the future and will also protect them.

DP Wheel Glaze

Poorboy's Wheel Sealant

Old 02-12-2011 | 03:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Wow, sweet idea! I was just about to post a question! Alright so my question is today while getting stuff together for my first full detail in the spring, I found a Black and Decker 9531 that my dad has. I was planning on buying the pc7424xp, but if I can use the B&D it would save me money(17, part time job). So can I use this and get good results with ease of use? Thanks in advance!

Old 02-12-2011 | 03:10 PM
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood??

ok but seriously, i have an 09 that i just washed, clay barred, then used autoglym super resin polish on the whole body, then applied autoglym HD wax and still can see (but cant feel) light water spots on my paint. they are there from when i lived at another location and the sprinklers attacked my trucks paint nightly! how can i get the spots to go away!?

Old 02-12-2011 | 03:17 PM
|
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by BRY14661
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood??

ok but seriously, i have an 09 that i just washed, clay barred, then used autoglym super resin polish on the whole body, then applied autoglym HD wax and still can see (but cant feel) light water spots on my paint. they are there from when i lived at another location and the sprinklers attacked my trucks paint nightly! how can i get the spots to go away!?
I would recommend Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover with a light cutting pad on a dual-action polisher, such as the Porter Cable 7424xp.

Old 02-12-2011 | 03:57 PM
Can you answer a quick question about an off topic vehicle? My fiancées 2007 FJ Cruiser has a large amount of black plastic trim on the exterior. I have been using 303 Products Aerospace Protectant on it for quite some time but I am dissatisfied with the product "longevity". It seems to run/fade as soon as it gets wet and I feel it should last longer. What would you recommend to protect the plastic from fading/uv damage and maintain a "freshly detailed" appearance for more than just a few days? I would love to add a new product to my arsenal. . .thanks!!!

Old 02-12-2011 | 04:24 PM
Truck of the Month
What are your recommendations for embedded pet hair in carpet? Specifically tight corners/edges and whatnot. Back in corners, against sill panels, up under seats, etc....

I usually forego these tighter areas on a regular interior cleaning. When I clean them, though, I use dry latex gloves and "wipe" the hair to open areas with my hands in order to vacuum it up.

Any tips or methods you've used with success?

Edit: Not short hair....probably 1-2" average length.

Last edited by mblouir; 02-12-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-12-2011 | 04:40 PM

bump for my question..

Old 02-12-2011 | 07:37 PM
|
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by jpf150
Wow, sweet idea! I was just about to post a question! Alright so my question is today while getting stuff together for my first full detail in the spring, I found a Black and Decker 9531 that my dad has. I was planning on buying the pc7424xp, but if I can use the B&D it would save me money(17, part time job). So can I use this and get good results with ease of use? Thanks in advance!
I can't speak for the quality, durability, or power of the Black and Decker polisher that you have because we do not sell that unit and I have no experience with it. However, if it has a hook and look backing plate (velcro), we do have pads that are compatible with it.

Either way, you can't go wrong with a Porter Cable 7424xp. It is a great polisher that's easy to use, comfortable to hold, and has plenty of power to tackle just about any job. If you plan on doing detailing work as a job on the side, a high quality polisher such as the 7424xp is definitely a great investment.

Check out Lake Country Buffing Pads. They come in a variety of different sizes. I'm sure you will be able to find one that is the right size for your polisher assuming it has a compatible backing plate.

Originally Posted by jetcycles
Can you answer a quick question about an off topic vehicle? My fiancées 2007 FJ Cruiser has a large amount of black plastic trim on the exterior. I have been using 303 Products Aerospace Protectant on it for quite some time but I am dissatisfied with the product "longevity". It seems to run/fade as soon as it gets wet and I feel it should last longer. What would you recommend to protect the plastic from fading/uv damage and maintain a "freshly detailed" appearance for more than just a few days? I would love to add a new product to my arsenal. . .thanks!!!
I have just the product in mind for your exterior trim. However, I wouldn't go throwing away your 303 Aerospace Protectant just yet, as it works great on rubber/vinyl/leather/plastic interior surfaces.

If you're looking for a durable product for your exterior trim that lasts weeks, and not days, I highly recommend Ultima Tire and Trim Guard.

Originally Posted by mblouir
What are your recommendations for embedded pet hair in carpet? Specifically tight corners/edges and whatnot. Back in corners, against sill panels, up under seats, etc....

I usually forego these tighter areas on a regular interior cleaning. When I clean them, though, I use dry latex gloves and "wipe" the hair to open areas with my hands in order to vacuum it up.

Any tips or methods you've used with success?

Edit: Not short hair....probably 1-2" average length.

Pet hair can be a pain in the butt, especially when on cloth interior surfaces. If a high quality, powerful vacuum isn't doing the job I would try lint brush.

If you've been searching for a high quality, portable vacuum that has enough power to tackle any job, I would check out a Metro Full Size 4.0 HP Vac N' Blow. It comes with a variety of useful attachments and can even be mounted to a wall.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Old 02-12-2011 | 10:40 PM
I tried the natural boars hair brush and it does not get between the rims good enough. I will not clean in the corners

Old 02-13-2011 | 04:44 AM
glc
That Black and Decker is a rotary, not a DA. Definitely not recommended for novices or for any kind of finishing work. That's a tool for pros to use for heavy correction.

Old 02-13-2011 | 07:01 PM

Thanks autogeek. and you too glc. I thought that is what it was, but the rpms are not much so I was wondering if I, as a novice, could really do a lot of damage. If so, then I will buy the pc. Thanks for all the help!

Quick Reply: Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread