Washing= doesnt come out as good as I hoped

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2001, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Washing= doesnt come out as good as I hoped

Thanks for responding to my question about the little scratch I got last week. Now, my question is.........what is the best way to wash the truck to make it look sharp? I'm thinking of just going to a car wash from now on. I am not happy with the way it came out when I did it. Any tips?

F-150 XLT Supercrew Sport, Black/Charcoal; Bugflector, Duraliner Bedliner, Chrome Wheels

Old 05-02-2001, 10:11 PM
I would never go to a car wash. Leave too many swirl marks and scratches my .02

------------------
HD F150
2000 FLHTCUI
1970 OLDS Cutlass W 31
2000 Lincoln LS

Old 05-02-2001, 11:49 PM
I use two buckets. One with a good soap intended for cars. The other clear water. I work from the roof down. I grab soap and work a section, then rinse my wash mitt in the clear bucket. That way, I'll never risk accumulating all that grit in my soapy bucket, and "clean" grit-free water is always applied. If my truck is particularly dirty (rarely) then I'll dump/refill the clear bucket once or twice, just to be on the safe side.
I never use the "jet" stream. I rinse with the "gentle shower" setting on my nozzle. I generally do the truck by quarters.
Home Depot sells those nice big white 3-5gal buckets for a buck or two. Cheap and tough.

Old 05-02-2001, 11:53 PM
I was my truck at the do it yourself spray car wash. It comes out clean, the way I want it. The people at those car washes don't car about your truck -- its just a job to them.

Old 05-03-2001, 09:20 AM
When washing your vehicle. Be sure to use a soap that is formulated for washing Vehicles not dishes,pots,pans ect. Also using a wash mit not towels. Always start by rinsing the vehicle first and if possible in the shade. A cool vehicle will prevent the car wash soap drying to fast and possibly streaking the paint. If shade is not possible rinse often as to not let the vehicle dry. When drying there a few options. Some use soft terry cloth towels, some use the water sprite chamois.The newest HOT tip is the new MICRO FIBER CHAMOIS. They will not leave the light trails that a water sprite can leave behind. The micro fiber Chamois also works great on the windows.
For info on the MICRO FIBER CHAMOIS contact coatsproducts.com
Hope this helps out

Old 05-03-2001, 09:28 AM
Waxman,

Why shouldn't you use dishsoap to wash a vehicle? I always though this was a good idea, and have been doing it for years! Is this wrong?

Thanks,
Jeff

------------------
1998 Black F-150 XLT Ext. 4x4 Off-Road Package
Current Mods:
-Pace Edwards Roll Top
-Box Liner
-Tinted all around
-Pioneer 4100 CD Deck w/remote
-Kenwood 400W Amp
-Phoenix Gold 5x7's
-JL Audio Stealth Box
-2 Phoenix Gold 8" Subs
-K&N Filter
-DeeZee Stainless Steel Brush Guard
Check it out: http://www.f150world.com/jeffstruck
1998 Silver Frost Contour LX V6 "Full Load"
1985 Mustang GT w/T-Tops "The Fun Machine"

Old 05-03-2001, 10:27 AM
Jeff,
Dishsoap will strip the wax off your vehicle.
It also tends to dry out plastics, and rubber. A good quality automotive soap such as Meguire's or even Armour-all soap, will float the dirt debris off the vehicles finish, and make drying easier. It won't leave the water marks as much.

------------------
* 2000 F150XLT SC/SB 4X4 Sport Black on Black
* 5.4L,3.55LS,4R70,17in wheels
* Air Force1 FIPK
* Alarm w/remote starter

Old 05-03-2001, 01:25 PM
Mark

Check out http://www.autopia-carcare.com

Lots of good info.

Old 05-04-2001, 08:28 AM
Thumbs down

You are going to a car wash. LOL. Man, F-150's are nice trucks don't put them through that harsh treatment!

Go out and get you some Turtle Wax(tm) Spot Free Car Wash Soap. Put 2 Tablespoons in a bucket, and fill it with cold water. Then take a water hose and rinse your truck off until all the loose dirt is gone. Next, take a washing mit (you can buy these almost anywhere) and dip it into the bucket, and wash your truck one side at a time (ie. left side, then the front, then the other side, then the back). After you fully soap a side, rinse it off so you dont get any spots. Once you are finish washing the whole body, use your supplies and wash underneath your wheel wells, and tires. Then take an Absorber(r)(you can buy this almost anywhere such as Wal-Mart $15)and dry your truck off to a showroom finish. To make it look more sharp, just use some Tire Black and go over everything on your truck that is black. Then take Chrome Polish and polish all the chrome. Last thing you need to do, it take some Windex and clean your windows. This should make your truck look brand new.

------------------
My F-150
  • XLT
  • Toreador Red
  • Super Crew
  • 4.6 Liter
  • v8
  • Xcelerator Muffler
  • Dual Exhaust (Y-PIPE)
  • 6" Chrome Tips
  • Vent Shades
  • GTS Headlight Covers
  • Rhino Sprayed-In Bedliner
  • Flairside
  • 20% Window Tint (Front 2 side windows)(Illegal)
  • 11" 7% dark tint band on front (Illegal)
  • Bugflector
    Pending
  • 33" BFGoodwrench All Terain Tires (with rims)(June 2001)
  • 3" P.A. Body Lift (June 2001)
  • No Muffler (June 2001)

THE BEST TRUCKS ARE BUILT FORD TOUGH

[This message has been edited by 2dollarsteak (edited 05-04-2001).]

Old 05-04-2001, 01:25 PM
Sundag7

Good advice. Have you ever tried the "flooding" method when rinsing?

As a last step before drying, take the nozzle off the hose and have a gentle slow stream of water come out. Start from the top down avoiding splashing on body creases and the like. If you truck is waxed, most the water will sheet off as the surface tension of the droplets are broken making drying *much* easier and faster.

Regards

Old 05-07-2001, 10:09 PM
Hey Jeff,
Using dishsoap for washing your vehicle can have some adverse effects on your paint and trim.Drying out, streaking,stripping the wax or protection you have applied. T O'HF150 is right. Anything designed to remove baked on grease is going to remove any wax or protection you my have used. I don't know of any wax or sealer that sticks like burnt food.Most car wash products help maintain the appearance and will not strip the vehicles finish. Using a car wash formulated product is your best bet.
Good Luck
coatsproducts.com

Old 05-07-2001, 10:19 PM
just my .02 but i would never in my life use turtle or any other wax besides Meguiars. It is number 1, car and driver think so, and so do i. I have always used Meguiars and always will.

-The MAN

Old 05-13-2001, 11:00 PM
Hey Jeff,

Think about this.You use dishsoap to get grease off dishes.Dishsoap is a degreaser.Carwax is just like grease.Need I say more.Carwash from turtle wax or something equivilent.Always , Always, Always.

Rod

Quick Reply: Washing= doesnt come out as good as I hoped